622 install

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
About how long should it take to download the initial information? The tech told me it could take up to 24 hours. Does this sound correct?

I've done it twice and each time it only took about 5 minutes. The first time it started immediately after I did the checkswitch, IIRC, once I read the cautionary note and "selected" to proceed. On the second try (new receiver) it hung-up on the D/L, evidenced by no advancement on the progress bar. I waited about 5 minutes, then did a hard reboot (pulled plug). I had read in one of these threads that if it hangs, you should do that rather than wait forever. It worked for me! YMMV. (Great forum for these little tid-bits...!)

On initial install mine locked up trying to download the update as well; after rebooting it took the update fine.

It is safe to reboot the receiver while downloading but if it has finished downloading and is applying the update, that's a different story.

My 622 was installed two days ago and the installer knew all the tricks to get it going. He did several reboots and ended up putting the Splitter on the back (Using just one line for TV 1 and 2 - this seemed to do the trick. Although, I never did get the 622 demo's he said would download onto my PVR.

Sassan said:
About how long should it take to download the initial information? The tech told me it could take up to 24 hours. Does this sound correct?

Out of the box, it needs a check switch first.
Then it will dl Vital program information - this may take 15 or 20 minutes.
We do this at the shop prior to installation.
Now we know for sure the receiver is GOOD!!!!

Then when I install, I ck. switch, then it does progress 1 to 5, then downloads the guide. The I call to activate.

NOW, if you receive a receiver via UPS it may require a Software Update. That can take anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour!! This is done with the receiver power off but still plugged in.

fred

My 622 was installed on Friday. On the initial download, the installer rebotted when the green bar failed to advance. He also called E* once to activate the package, and then called back to activate again 5 to 10 minutes later. He told me that with the 622, a second hit from the satellite saved him a lot of time.

Total update of the receiver can take up to 24 hours with the longest part being the locals though I have never seen any receiver take longer than an hour to take all the updates. The best way to get the receiver to take the updates and initialize them faster is once activated and programming comes in wait 5 minutes then go do a check switch, exit out and go to system information and shut off the receiver by the front panel button and wait another 5 minutes and then start it back up and it should be good.

Interesting. During my 622 install, it also hung up during the intial software download and the installer had to hard re-boot it twice before it would start to work and actually download anything.

probably what the installer was refering to was the fact that it can take up to 24 hours for the program guide info to totally download. Usually right after the initial download you will have the prog guide info for a day or so, but not all the information.
As far as the software download, 15-20 minutes, or somewhere in that area