622 installed, but no Dish 1000 included

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
NE Georgia
Well, the day finally arrived. After ordering the ViP 622 on 2/1/06 and getting it from UPS on Valentine's Day, my 2/21 install date came. My installer, Scott from DNS, called to see if he could come earlier than my 12-5 install time! That was a shock, but I work 1 hour away and told him I wouldn't be home early enough.

Scott arrives, and starts to work. He is very experienced and was done in a flash, the only problem being that he installed a new Dish 500 with Dish Pro Plus (I had old Legacy equipment). I inquired about the D1000, and he said the work order did not show a D1000 was to be installed. A CSR had told me this past Friday when I tried to activate my receiver that a D1000 is on the work order. :confused:

After we got the 622 activated (Scott said I took the fun out of the install because I already had it running but Dish wouldn't allow it to be activated until today), Scott called Dish to have a work order placed for the D1000. The CSR told him it would be a $59 upgrade if I committed for 12 months (?, I'm already commited for 18 with the 622!), or $199 with no commitment. He agrued on my behalf, but the CSR was stubborn and would not budge. He hung up and called again, this time getting a CSR to add the D1000 for free with no issues whatsoever. I thought it was rather funny how Scott was telling me that sometimes you have to play CSR roulette, as this scenerio seems so familiar to many of us on these forums! My install date is this Saturday morning.

Some interesting things were told to me as we killed time. I told Scott that when I tried activating the 622 before today that my 2/21 install would be cancelled and the next date quoted was 3/28. He said that was odd, because new customers get an install the very next day after signing up. So it seems to me that plenty of slots are there for new installs, but only a few are available for upgrades. That would mean it is possible to get a better install date if you talk to the right people. Those of you with far out install dates, see if you can bring them in earlier. I tried many times to no avail, but maybe if you were given the number to the installer you might have better luck.

Also, all new HD subs in the Atlanta area up to South Carolina will be getting D1000's. I was suppose to get one too as an HD sub, but somehow it was messed up on the order. Of course, Dish may not have known what their plans were for Atlanta when I placed my order on 2/1 since we are close to the edge of the 129 satellite footprint. Scott said that 129 is very low on the horizon, and that the location my original D500 was pointed would not work. The D1000 will be mounted on my chimney very high in the air, so it will work well for me now.

I haven't had a chance to play with the 622 much yet, and since this is my first Dual Tuner DVR (I still have a Dishplayer 7100 sitting around somewhere) it will take me a little while to learn all the new features. I did connect my OTA, but unlike others on the forum have experienced, my 622 is exactly the same as my 811. They both pick up Atlanta digital channel 10 with 64% and everything else is 0%. I had hoped it would be better as others have said, but I guess it doesn't help my situation.

Why do you want the D1000? From what I understand and have seen for myself, I would think you would be better off with the 500 pointed at the 61.5 sat. I am in Illinois and that turned out to be the best setup to get excellent signal strenth. Being further east, you would benefit more than me. Programming is the same I think. (except for locals).

John

The Atlanta local HD stations have been uplinked to 129. Everyone is waiting to see if they stay there or are moved to 61.5 before becoming available. If they stay on 129, I don't think anyone in the Atlanta area has a dish1000 to be able to watch them.

New HD subs in Atlanta are getting the D1000, which seems to point to Dish actually leaving the Atlanta HD locals on 129. I don't want the possibility of Dish asking for more $$$ if it turns out that I need the D1000 and didn't have it installed.

Plus, I feel like I'm getting something for my $299 for the privledge of leasing a 622! :D

Not in the Chicago DMA. Currently get all locals in hd with ota antenna except CBS which will be avail in August. Working on a waiver for CBS NY. Local cbs said they will grant it, just need a couple of days for the paperwork to go through. Fingers are crossed.

John

The Big Wood said:
Also, all new HD subs in the Atlanta area up to South Carolina will be getting D1000's. I was suppose to get one too as an HD sub, but somehow it was messed up on the order. Of course, Dish may not have known what their plans were for Atlanta when I placed my order on 2/1 since we are close to the edge of the 129 satellite footprint. Scott said that 129 is very low on the horizon, and that the location my original D500 was pointed would not work. The D1000 will be mounted on my chimney very high in the air, so it will work well for me now.

Hello! I am a new sub and live in the upstate of SC. The Central/Clemson area just outside of Greenville. Does your statement mean I'll get a DISH 1000 or two 500's? Got my reciever yesterday but my install is on the 28th. I want to make sure I get the install done right as i'm not up on all of the satellite locations and where I need to point. I'm hoping we'll get locals soon as well. We are on the roll out list for this year! Thanks alot!

Alysen

From what my installer mentioned, your area should be getting the D1000 for new installs. I am close to the border of Atlanta versus Greenville DMA's, so anything just east of me would be the Greenville DMA. It sounded as if this installer's office puts up Dish equipment up to the GA/SC border (they are based out of Athens, GA).

Good luck!

It sounds like the D1000 may sacrifice signal strength from 119 and 110, so I'm wondering if I should ask the installer to just put up a D500 (or D300 if they are still around) and set it to point at 129. For me, it wouldn't look bad since its high up on the chimney on the backside of the roof. I would rather have rock solid signals from all the sat locations than one less dish.

had my 622 installed yesterday and of course, work order didn't include the D1000 as the CSR's had told me would be provided. I have Superdish and installer said to have "D" set up another install with D500 pointed at 129 instead of D1000. Called CSR, and they said nope... You get D1000 with install date of this Sat 2-25. I'd rather keep Superdish in case I get the urge to get international in near future.

The tech just showed up.... but with no D1000.
I ordered the 622 with the HD Silver + Locals.

He said the d1000 was not on the work order.
His manager drove out the d1000 but didn't have a DPP44
(I have 110, 119 and 148, + the 129 for the new HD channels)

He said they may have to come back out with the DPP44 to hook up the 148.

The technicicain also said the that KCBS-HD was not on the 129 bird.

The Big Wood, the same thing happened to me. The tech should up but didn't install the D1000. His work order had him install a D500. So he replaced the original D500 that I had with the same thing. I got on the phone with Dish and told them that this was unacceptable. The CSR that took my order on Feb. 1st read my order back to me over the phone and it included the free D1000. I called back the next day with my confirmation number just to verify that I was getting a 622 and D1000 installed and the CSR again told me yes.

I wasn't rude to Dish about anything and I just told them that why would I upgrade to a new Mpeg4 receiver and order the HD silver package and not want the free D1000 installed.

The CSR on the phone agreed with me and had the Tech's run back to their shop to get a D1000 to install. Dish was very polite in getting this done after I asked to speak to a manager. Again I wasn't rude to them, I just simply explained that I had to take vacation time to be home for the installation and that my order was right on two different occasions when I was on the phone with Dish.

The moral of the story is: Call Dish several times to make sure your scheduled installation includes a D1000.

chadman0 said:
The moral of the story is: Call Dish several times to make sure your scheduled installation includes a D1000.

I did call twice to verify d1000.

Still tech didn't have a d1000 on the work order.
A supervisor came out with a D1000, but would have to come out another day with the DPP44

Cokeswigga,
I am also in the Dish shows up without a DPP44 and leaves without giving me HD. Seems like a growing club.

I too had my installer show up without the Dish 1000 on the workorder. He said we could install another dish pointing at 61.5, but I told him I wanted the 1000. He called Dish, explained that I was to get the 1000, and they said it should have been on the workorder and that they would change it. He then went back to warehouse, got the new Dish 1000 and installed my 622. Great installer who worked with me to get what I ordered/needed. I also would recommend calling Dish in advance to make sure your workorder is correct. This is starting to sound like the norm rather than the exception.

shrudge said:
I too had my installer show up without the Dish 1000 on the workorder. He said we could install another dish pointing at 61.5, but I told him I wanted the 1000. He called Dish, explained that I was to get the 1000, and they said it should have been on the workorder and that they would change it. He then went back to warehouse, got the new Dish 1000 and installed my 622. Great installer who worked with me to get what I ordered/needed. I also would recommend calling Dish in advance to make sure your workorder is correct. This is starting to sound like the norm rather than the exception.
I would rather have the 2nd dish

Jason

I am curious about D1000 users..
what signal strength are you seeing on 129?
I'm getting 120+ on 110 and 119, but 60's on 129.

I have occassional pixelization on HD locals from 129.

Also I have another problem (which I will post as another thread)
but I CANNOT RECORD ANYTHING!!! :mad:

1st Installer calls to say he's gonna be late
2nd shows up without D1000
3rd shows up without DPP44
4th now my receiver won't record ANYTHING
5th I have a "ticking" sound coming from RCA outs on TV1

Update

Dish sent out another tech to install the Dpp44
Dish sent out a new receiver because the 1st one wasn't recording. New Receiver works great.
I found a guy that was gettin rid of a D500, so I bought it, installed it move my twin from the D1000 to the D500 and pointed to 110/119, and I used the D1000 and peaked it for 129.

I gained alot of signal on 110 and 129, (over 16 on 110 and about 10 on 129)

Last edited: