622 Installed, but oh what an idiot!

SpenceJT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Madison, WI
Installer arrived as scheduled to install a Dish 500 and my leased 622.

I was replacing my 921. His reaction at seeing it should have been my first clue that he was "clue-less". The installer said that he had never seen a receiver that large (921), which led me to believe he's been installing for less than a year.

He went outside to mount and peak the Dish 500 (I've got a SuperDish) while my wife and I watched LOST on the 921 before disconnecting it.

When the installer came back in, he watched as I disconnected the 921. After I had set it aside I noticed him looking at the DP Seperator on the 921. I mentioned that the new ones are a bit different (larger). He said he'd never seen a splitter hooked up and didn't know how I had the receiver working. I informed him that it was a DP Seperator not a splitter to which he told me that I didn't need one with the 921 and that it would work with a single feed.

Later when hooking up the 622, he stated that I needed two satellite feeds and I remind him about the seperator, which I still don't think he grasped the purpose of. He told me I was doing it wrong and I told him that I'd hooked up my 921 and have done many a aim & peak of antennas on my own. He said I needed two feeds, to which I said "no, don't argue with me, I know what I'm doing".

I hooked it up and it worked. In speaking to him I mentioned that I was backfeeding tuner 2 into the house so my wife could watch the DVR and he asked if it was a DVR model.

He was then surprised to see HD channels in the lineup after we had activated it.

He left with an education on Dish's new product along with how to install it and I'm home enjoying my new 622.

All I can say (in my limited time with it) is that I am blown away by how far advanced it is from the 921. It's faster, the picture appears sharper and it has so many more features!

Can't wait to put it through it's paces. Well, can't play any more. My wife is home and I've got to get back to finishing the basement! ;)

Spence

With what I have learned here - I end up telling nearly every installer what needs to be done.... The last installer had a 625. He had never heard of a 622... Before he left I put it on RAVE... He stood there 10 minutes watching and listening to the surround sound..

This is why I dont want people messing about here. I usually know WAY more than they do.

In Es defense managing a nationwide service force in a ever changing landscape of models and features must be tough....

Bob Haller said:
This is why I dont want people messing about here. I usually know WAY more than they do.

Well, "Bob" thank god you chimed in to point out that you usually know WAY more than they do.

This is the third time I've ever had to deal with an installer and the first time that I've ever taken issue with the installer's level of training or expertise. Far be it for me to ever presume that I know way more than anyone, but this kid was scary at how confident he sounded when spouting off facts that were completely and utterly wrong. I advised him to read up on the latest hardware and get his facts straight before he ends up insulting the intelligence of his customers or worse yet, miss-informing the un-informed.

Bob Haller said:
managing a nationwide service force in a ever changing landscape of models and features must be tough....

This kid didn't even bother to ground the new 129 dish he had installed. Not only did he skip this basic of installation. He had no idea that a dual tuner receiver could be run from a DP +44 switch with a single cable and a DP+ Signal Separator. Now I could understand his ignorance if he had hundreds of different models to learn about, but come on! Dual tuners and DP+44 switches go back to the 921 which is what... two years old now? Given that, how many different configurations are there for basic installations of either Dish or Direct TV STBs? I count three;

Single cable
Double cable
Single cable with DP+44 switch signal separator (assuming Direct has their own version of this).

My point is, connecting up a satellite box isn't rocket science. Hell, this guy only had to run a single cable from the new antenna to a grounding block, then on to the switch and he couldn't get that right. His bravado and overconfidence in spewing disinformation was astounding!

The other two installers were up on the latest technology and had no problems at all completing the installations. This guy should be sent back for training and should not be out in the field.

Last edited:
I am 49, and since I was a little kid I watched our family get ripped off by service folks, or ones who did a rotten job.

I have my own business, and try to be 100% upfront and never do anything even questionable. plus I try to know what I am doing...

I dont want to be like a lifetime of others.!!!!!!!

Before I got sat a installer wanted to mount my dish to my chimney. totally unnecessary...

hard to service, chimney already in bad shape.

my nice low mount much better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)