622 Installed today pics and comments

Dirtydan said:
What is funny about this ground thing is that I have my DP34 grounded (by installer) and my two D500's are not grounded. Never has been a problem.

Why would it be a problem? It's still going to function hunky dory without it.

Dirtydan said:
What is funny about this ground thing is that I have my DP34 grounded (by installer) and my two D500's are not grounded. Never has been a problem.

Grounding the switch is the sign of a lazy tech ( and no I dont care who's toes I step on on this one ) who knows fully that a switch is not approved by the nec as a viable grounding device.

As to the dish needing to be grounded yes it is a requirement of the nec as it is an external electronic device that falls under nec rules, hell if you have one on your home then obviously its a lightning rod and if its not grounded then where do you think the lightning and static discharge from high winds are going to go? Yes I have seen systems that have been hit by lightning both directly and indirectly, there was alot of that here in southern michigan last year in june and july. Some where direct hits, others took indirect hits where lightning entered through burried coax or it arced off of a tree or a building into the dish, coax, or a switch. The ones that werent grounded I had to replace the whole system and found tv's that didnt work, the ones that were grounded I had only one that I also had to replace the receiver and that was due to the fact that lightning had hit the house and came through the electric service.

One other thing to consider if you dont have your system grounded is that if an insurance inspector comes out after a lightning strike takes out your home and the inspector determines that it was due to lightning hitting the dish and yours isnt grounded then you stand a good chance of getting denied payment of your benefits.

622 Install

So what is the proper way to ground 2 separate dishs at opposite ends of my property? These are on metal posts set in concrete. My guess is it would have to be ground rods as there is no way to connect to house ground.

RandallA said:
I read in another forum that Dish Network is not installing the D1000 in the Pacific Northwest anymore. They are going with the 2 dish solution because of too many complaints on 129 being too weak.

Can anyone else confirm this? If this is true that should come out and replace my POS D1000 with two/500's!! :p

downriver said:
Can anyone else confirm this? If this is true that should come out and replace my POS D1000 with two/500's!! :p

This was reported in another forum by a member. He said that the installer told him that they were not doing anymore D1000 installations in the Pacific Northwest because of all the complaints they're getting. If I find the post, I'll put the link. Off to lunch I go, so I'll look for it later.

Ok, found the link. Read the last post:

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=22237

In this forum there are several threads about low signals with 129 in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of Dish Network users from the PN post in that fourm. Some of them say to call Dish Network and they will set you up with 2 dishes.

Last edited:
iceshark said:
...The one thing I would challenge is the dish ground. I have never ground the dish. Just the cables and switch. So please share some wisdom on that!
Grounding the dish is also in the NEC, and here's a link from one of our sponsors that further supports it...

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Grounding.htm

Page-down about half way for the requirement to ground the dish as well as the coax. The so-called "messenger wire" in coax assemblies that have it is used for that purpose, or else use 10 ga. or greater copper wire (I use black insulation THHN for this purpose).

Also - I agree that your switch itself should not be grounded, but IMHO it should be located on the equipment side of the grounds. But that violates the NEC in your case where the switch is located outdoors since the NEC wants the coaxes grounded at the closest point of entry. Maybe someone else can weigh-in on this one. Maybe TWO sets of ground blocks, one on each side of the switch?

Remember, this kind of grounding is not expected to protect your home or equipment from a direct hit - nothing short of a full-blown groundplane grid and specially-designed cable entrances like a radio tower has can surely protect from that. But proper grounding can protect from static build-up, a bounced strike, or the EMP-induced surge from a close strike. Lots of folks in these threads want to dismiss this is non-essential. To me it's a cheap countermeasure that might make a difference some day. And Van's point about insurance possibly disqualifying your claim if they discover a missing or improper ground is well taken !! Your choice...

Last edited:
It goes like this,

Dish(s) ------ ground block(s) ----- switch(s) ------ receiver(s)

The coax is supposed to be ground within five feet of the point of entry so this is one grey area as if I remember correctly it doesnt state inside or outside. Second is within 25 feet of the main structure ground wich is in many circumstances impossible and impracticle unless the home is wired up during the buildup process.

Any ground rods that are installed on site must be further grounded into the structures main ground source by way of a six guage copper ground wire wether its a solid core or a braided core, again in many circumstances this is an impossible or impractical procedure.

The NEC has not approved any switch that Dish Network uses and most likely the same goes for any switch that any other company uses wether dbs or cable, so if your an installer doing this you need to stop doing this now.

The last I knew you could ground one dish to another dish if its easy by way of a 12 guage ground wire using a grounding lug on the wing dish and using two ground lugs on the second, one will have the ground wire from the first and the second will have the ground wire from the second dish that runs down to the ground block(s).

One last thing, most if not all apartment maintainance managers, mobile home park managers, condo association board members, and building maintanance personel have no idea about nec requirements.

I'm a bit tired of listening about all the grounding rules but have one question anyway.

If the dish itself has to be grounded, why didn't Dish put a grounding point on it like they did for all their switches?

iceshark said:
Good to hear you got setup Peggy. Yea I lucked out with the 44. It was another member here who pushed me to push Dish for it. Glad he did.

I hope your Hdmi works well. I had my DVI with my dish 921 and my component cables looked better. I hear it depends on your TV. Let me know how it goes and maybe I will get a convertor for my DVI cable.

My signal on 110- 87to95 119-93to104 ish.
Very nice!

The difference between the component cables & the HDMI is amazing! I have a 55" Sony KDF-55WF655 LCD projection.

I got an inexpensive 6-ft HDMI cable from Parts Express through Amazon. No sales tax since it was shipped from out-of-state. I had checked the manufacturer's web site & Amazon was cheaper.

That is great! I may try one again. I have read many many post that say component on my 50 inch LCD is sharper and with much more vivid color. But if you say its rockin I will try it! Thanks Peggy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts