622 L4.01 To Spool on Thursday! (Not sure WHICH thursday though)

I'm not trying to get personal here because I appreciate what he does, but I have yet to read news from Scott that has come true. External storage. Weather channel. DishONLINE. Multiple missed dates on 622 software releases.

Now, I say it's not personal, because I'm sure he's just passing along information that is given to him. I'm sure he's a nice guy (I've never had any beef with him). And he puts out some great reviews. Plus, he's offering this forum free of charge.

I'm just saying, don't get all worked up about what Dish claims they are going to do. Get all worked up about what Dish has already done. Because I don't even think they have a very good vision as to what they are going to do.

Also, it generally costs 5-10x more to fix a bug prior to release instead of after release. Cheers,
John,

I think you've got this backwards. Don't forget the bad PR, lost productivity, customer dissatisfaction etc. that come into play if bugs are released that should have been found in testing. May be hard to attach a $ amount to, but has to be entered into the equation.....

"I do wonder if Dish is availing themselves to any disciplined release management."

I doubt it. They have released so many software updates with bugs that have made receivers that worked just fine into garbage. The 5xx receivers come to mind and now the 625s are having problems when those receivers where solid receivers.

Ha, ha I like the new title.

Also, it generally costs 5-10x more to fix a bug prior to release instead of after release. /QUOTE]

Most Systems Analysis and Design texts use different metrics. If it costs $1 to fix a bug found during Systems Analysis, it would cost $10 to fix it if it was not found until Systems Design. It would then cost $100 to fix it if not found until software construction and testing. It would cost $1,000 to fix it if was not found until after software release.

I not sure which is more entertaining,

Listening to people whine and cry when something is not delivered within a perceived timeframe, or listening to folks piss and moan when it finally arrives.

Last edited:
I not sure which is more entertaining,

Listening to people wine and cry when something is not delivered within a perceived timeframe, or listening to folks piss and moan when it finally arrives.
I agree to a point, but you might want to replace the word perceived with declared instead.;)

Calm down folks, I got it backwards... Sorry, if you read that as AFTER it all makes sense :D

I'm human, and apparently when I typed this also challenged for event sequence :)

Cheers,

Ok, just HOW big of a deal is this upgrade anyway? Is it enough of an improvement to justify all the whining here?? While I'd like the slicker program guide handling of HD channels, I'm not pacing the floor waiting for this. I have a great 622 DVR and lots of great HD channels to enjoy. My box is already very easy to use and very reliable. Software upgrades are just icing on the cake. It'll happen in due time. What I DON'T want are new problems as a result of this upgrade. I can do without it, if that's the case. So I don't want them pushing anything out until they are SURE it works perfectly.

Ok, just HOW big of a deal is this upgrade anyway? Is it enough of an improvement to justify all the whining here?? While I'd like the slicker program guide handling of HD channels, I'm not pacing the floor waiting for this. I have a great 622 DVR and lots of great HD channels to enjoy. My box is already very easy to use and very reliable. Software upgrades are just icing on the cake. It'll happen in due time. What I DON'T want are new problems as a result of this upgrade. I can do without it, if that's the case. So I don't want them pushing anything out until they are SURE it works perfectly.
I think if you read back over the last couple days, you'll see that most here aren't disappointed by not having the actual upgrade, but with E*'s constant lack of meeting delivery dates for those updates and new channel offerings (Read some of the older Tech Chat and Team Summit threads for some examples). This latest delay for L4.01 (3/1, then 3/15) may just have put some of us "over the edge".... ;)

Like I said before: Release it when it's ready, let us know when it's out there. We'll report our findings here.

I'm not trying to get personal here because I appreciate what he does, but I have yet to read news from Scott that has come true. External storage. Weather channel. DishONLINE. Multiple missed dates on 622 software releases.
:up
I have stopped believing anything on this website that hasn't happened yet ( the reviews are great). I am sure everyone has great intentions as well, but no one (I repeat NO ONE) here has any "Reliable" inside information.
I have a Magic 8-Ball that is right more often than any future looking posts I have read in the past 2 or 3 years here. :D

cosmo: L4.01 was announced on a Tech Chat and scheduled for Dec 2006. There's some discrepency as to when in Dec, but regardless, whether is was Dec 1, Dec 15, or Dec 31st, all came and went with no release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts