622 losing video

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
Starting a couple weeks ago, my 622 receiver is occasionally losing video on certain channels. The audio continues to play, but the screen is completely black on all outputs. Some channels on the same satellite may be blank, while others still work fine, and the problem is always resolved by rebooting the box. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

I have, starting acouple of days ago. One of my entire recordings over the weekend was the way you described, as well as certain channels yesterday. Hovever, this morning the video was OK, but I lost audio.
:confused:

Starting a couple weeks ago, my 622 receiver is occasionally losing video on certain channels. The audio continues to play, but the screen is completely black on all outputs. Some channels on the same satellite may be blank, while others still work fine, and the problem is always resolved by rebooting the box. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
This has happened 3 times since June on my 622. Initial thoughts were this was an HDMI issue(handshake or ??). As in your case some channels would work normally and the fact that menus, and guide could be seen on the missing video channels ruled that out for me. A hard reset always fixed the problem. So far I haven't been upset enough with this occasional blip to care to call DISH.
If you are running an HDMI setup you might run a set of component cables and if the problem occurs again, switch over and see if you have a pic. The tuner could also be a possible problem.

If you are running an HDMI setup you might run a set of component cables and if the problem occurs again, switch over and see if you have a pic. The tuner could also be a possible problem.
I have component cables connected and the video also goes out on those.

OP - did you ever correct your problem?

I have the same problem on a replacement 622 I just received from Dish.

Thanks,

Bob

I lose some HD video but its only happened 2-4 times since about June as well and a soft reset solves it (holding down power button). I'm thinking its a recent update that caused it around that June time. It does it again I'm going to call to make someone aware of it so I suggest you all do the same or else it won't get fixed :)

I lose some HD video but its only happened 2-4 times since about June as well and a soft reset solves it (holding down power button). I'm thinking its a recent update that caused it around that June time. It does it again I'm going to call to make someone aware of it so I suggest you all do the same or else it won't get fixed :)

Thanks for steering me to this thread dvrexpander.

Sounds exactly like what I've been experiencing. I miss-posted on my thread about the instance with the show on DVR being 'black' and then deleted by me. I had watched this recording before so I knew it had been 'ok' after it recorded. Then when I tried the other night, it was black screen. I tried a few different things to see it but what finally worked was switching tuners and trying it again, it worked fine. (THEN I deleted it, as it was saved for a friend and they finally saw it).

I have had the audio with the 'frozen' picture but not with the 'black' picture IIRC.

I don't remember exactly when I d/l the latest update. I think it may have been about a month ago... I live off-grid and power down all entertainment when it's not being watched. I only allow updates a few times per year or when there's mention here that an update actually fixes a known problem. I'm guessing this was an update I should've skipped.

I can't see calling Dish, as the first thing they'll ask is for me to do a 'reboot' or 'hard reset' or whatever... hold the power button. And then the problem will be "fixed". Until the next time.

Of course, my receiver gets that 'reboot' twice a day (once in the morning when we get up, once again when we get home).

Phil

One of my 622's has been doing the same thing for about 2 weeks. But it's only on one tuner. The other is fine. If there are recordings that have audio and no video or nothing at all a reboot will bring it back. I was thinking it was heat related but the average temp is 114º which is fine. The other 622 has not problems and has the newest software.

It is sun outage time when the sun alignes directly behind the satellite you are using at the time and that wipes out channels for a few minutes on that bird, and then it moves to another bird. Here in the east, 61.5 has been going out around 5pm for a few days. It should end by weeks end.

It is sun outage time when the sun alignes directly behind the satellite you are using at the time and that wipes out channels for a few minutes on that bird, and then it moves to another bird. Here in the east, 61.5 has been going out around 5pm for a few days. It should end by weeks end.

My "black screens" have been happening at night. Mostly because that's when I'm watching TV.

Phil

I don't remember exactly when I d/l the latest update. I think it may have been about a month ago... I live off-grid and power down all entertainment when it's not being watched. I only allow updates a few times per year or when there's mention here that an update actually fixes a known problem. I'm guessing this was an update I should've skipped.
Phil

WOW! It sounds like the newest L630 update is one I'll skip installing! Even this problem with the black screens on L629 sounds better than:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/229377-l630.html

Phil

This sounds a lot like what I'm having happen, very sporadic, but annoying :( I lose all MPEG4 video, sound stays. I lose it on the tuner & DVR, however, MPEG2 SD & HD (OTA) works fine & the only way to get the MPEG4 back is a reboot. Has anybody came to any conclusions on this? THX & Merry Christmas...

One of my 622's has been doing the same thing for about 2 weeks. But it's only on one tuner. The other is fine. If there are recordings that have audio and no video or nothing at all a reboot will bring it back. I was thinking it was heat related but the average temp is 114º which is fine. The other 622 has not problems and has the newest software.

I replaced my 622 that exhibited this problem daily last Friday. So far replacement receiver hasn't exhibited the problem...knock on wood!

The black screens that you are seeing are a known product issue with the VIP 622. This can be seen with or without audio. The solution for this problem is a front panel reset, and is a temporary fix for the time being. This issue is being worked on and should hopefully be resolved soon.

I replaced my 622 that exhibited this problem daily last Friday. So far replacement receiver hasn't exhibited the problem...knock on wood!

Last night I had to delete 4 recorded shows because they were only "black screen". We DID have some weather problems last night, but these recordings were made before then. I deleted the recordings and THEN reset the receiver, so I don't know whether rebooting could've helped them. Also I don't know if simply rebooting would've restored the recordings.... but I'll try that before deleting next time (hopefully there won't even BE a next time!).

Phil

This issue is being worked on and should hopefully be resolved soon.
That is good news. Thanks!

Last night I had to delete 4 recorded shows because they were only "black screen".
Don't delete your recordings! My experience has been that a front panel reset will bring the video back on both live and recorded programming.

Don't delete your recordings! My experience has been that a front panel reset will bring the video back on both live and recorded programming.

That occurred to me AFTER I deleted them, of course, but nothing was important. And my receiver gets reset at least every day... I live off grid and if nobody is watching TV, there is no power to it or the receiver.

Phil

The black screens that you are seeing are a known product issue with the VIP 622. This can be seen with or without audio. The solution for this problem is a front panel reset, and is a temporary fix for the time being. This issue is being worked on and should hopefully be resolved soon.

Thanks for letting us know. Here is hoping the fix gets done soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)