622 - no pic, no sound sometimes

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I've had this happen a few times so far, yesterday being the worst. I'm unsure if I have a problem or if this is just SOP sometimes. We are "off grid" and there's no power to the receiver (or TV or theater system or anything else) if we aren't watching, unless I leave it powered up in order to record something during the night or while we are at work.

When I power up the 622 it goes through the normal sequence of events, eventually getting to where there SHOULD be picture and sound. I see the info bar at the top of the screen for the channel, but nothing else. That's on both tuners. I can watch anything recorded on the DVR with no problem. I can see the guide and select other channels, but still no pic or sound.

I "rebooted" with the power switch 2 or 3 times, and also killed and reapplied power to the unit another 2 or three times. Each time, the same result: black and quiet with only the channel info bar on the screen. All menu screens seem to work. After waiting maybe 4 or 5 minutes on the last time yesterday I finally picked up the phone to call tech support. A couple of minutes later the picture and sound appeared before I ever got connected, so maybe a total of 7 or 8 minutes elapsed from when I SHOULD have seen a program until I DID.

The two other times this has happened it's only been a minute or two until programming appeared.

Sometimes I "power off" the 622 before turning off the master "entertainment power" switch. Sometimes I don't. The only difference seems to be that if I had turned the 622 off, it will come back on with the flying Dish logo. If I didn't power it off, it'll start at the "acquiring sat" screen and go directly into the last channels we had been watching. There seems to be no correlation with the black screen and how the system was shut down, but I could be wrong.

If it's only occasional and 5 minutes or less, I can live with it. If it's an indication of a more serious problem I'd want to address it while I'm still on the free warranty (vs the $14.99-for-shipping warranty).

Ideas and/or suggestions?

Phil

You have more experience with this than I do, but recently I've noticed a similar situation, that the unit seems to be "dead", but then in a few minutes returns to normal operation. In my case it seems to be when returning to sat. channels after I've been watching OTA HD via the 622, which is a capability I just installed. Maybe it's related to the new 3.63, 3.65 SW ?? I didn't take the time yet to poke around in that thread...

I'm having the same problems with the 622 in Atlanta. The receiver is on a UPS so the power never goes down. I have tried rebooting by pressing and holding the power button as well as unplugging, waiting and replugging but the problem never changes. I wonder if this is an issue with the software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts