622 ota

nothing0

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Evansville, IN
im new to the forums. i tried a search for this problem but didn't find anything-

i have a 622 with a ota antenna. fox is weak in my area. i can get a good signal through my tv tuner. on the other hand with my 622 i get the signal loss pop up every few minutes.

questions-

does the 622 have a weak ota tuner?
does the 722 have a better ota tuner?
can you disable the signal loss pop up? (that thing is annoying)
any ideas?

thanks for any help in advance. this web site is great.

The digital tuners in Dish receivers are not the best. The tuner in the 622 and the 722 are pretty much the same. What is the signal strength of the channel in question? What is your OTA setup? You may need a preamp to raise the signal strength as that would be the only way to eliminate the pop up problem besides deleting or not watching the channel.

Echo that! I have 2 Sony TVs and the OTA tuners in those are better than the tuners in both my 211 and 622.

Check AntennaWeb to see what you should be able to receive from your location and what it might take to get those channels. Then spend some time in the HD OTA threads and see what you can learn there. You might need to optimize an antenna for that FOX channel. Do you have an outdoor antenna now? Can you rotate it. Careful in choosing a preamp. In most cases you need low noise (2dB or less) vs. highest gain.

Welcome, BTW...!

The digital tuners in Dish receivers are not the best. The tuner in the 622 and the 722 are pretty much the same. What is the signal strength of the channel in question? What is your OTA setup? You may need a preamp to raise the signal strength as that would be the only way to eliminate the pop up problem besides deleting or not watching the channel.

im getting 70% or so. it jumps around. i have an outdoor antenna. i've tried the preamp. it didn't seem to make a difference.
i've also used antennaweb to rotate the antenna.

i guess its just the tuner in the receiver. it works fine on my tv.

im getting 70% or so. it jumps around. i have an outdoor antenna. i've tried the preamp. it didn't seem to make a difference.
i've also used antennaweb to rotate the antenna.

i guess its just the tuner in the receiver. it works fine on my tv.

I added about 5 points to my OTA by raising the antenna about 5 ft. 5 points would probably be enough to end your problem.

When they first installed my 622, the technicians connected the coax from the ota incorrectly outside the house at my router box. Don't ask me what he did, but the results were that one minute I had a strong ota signal and the next, I had nothing! My wife was so pissed that she threatened to yank the box out and call Directv to get back out and reconnect us if I didn't get this fixed. A second visit by one of the techs identified the problem and I have had no problems for a year. My ota signals on the 622 stay around 98-100% all the time. Now, the signal strength on my 211 is less (80-90% range), but I think that is more a factor of the distance the coax has to run, rather than an issue with the tuner.

An erratic signal on OTA is often the result of noise or multi-pathing. Do you have any large structures or hills near your location?

An erratic signal on OTA is often the result of noise or multi-pathing. Do you have any large structures or hills near your location?

I agree - one of my more distant stations comes in between 70-80 all the time, but it's a rock steady signal. I have no problems losing it.

I would bet there's a multi-path issue going on here.

I agree height cures many OTA problems. If you are splitting the signal from the antenna, then each split also causes signal loss. You can try a distribution amp instead of the pre-amp. Personally, I hear that amps cause more problems then they fix. You'd likely have better luck with a new antenna or raising the one you have by 5' or so. Good luck!

im new to the forums. i tried a search for this problem but didn't find anything-

i have a 622 with a ota antenna. fox is weak in my area. i can get a good signal through my tv tuner. on the other hand with my 622 i get the signal loss pop up every few minutes.

questions-

does the 622 have a weak ota tuner?
does the 722 have a better ota tuner?
can you disable the signal loss pop up? (that thing is annoying)
any ideas?

thanks for any help in advance. this web site is great.

I have a 722 & have no problems with the OTA ant. sig. I also have plugged the ant. wire directly into my HD TV and the sig. was the same. Hope tis helps.

My 622 has one of the best tuners of the 5 that I have.
My 622 is better than the 722. They are both hooked to same antenna. On a fringe station, 722 will lose signal while 622 keeps going.

same issue

I had the same issue. I hooked and antenna to the tv tuner, worked great. Then I hooked it to my 622 and barely could get a signal. I bought the Terk HD antenna and then I was able to get a good signal on my 622.

I can pick up my local FOX affiliate (WRAZ) at 95%+ no problem on my 722, however, my local CBS affiliate (WRAL) which is in exactly the same direction, at the same distance, and at the same wattage (1Megawatt) struggles to stay above 70% no matter what I do. Gotta love RF problems.

Ted

my next door neighbor's house is close by. other than that i don't have any hills or other structures near by. im not sure what you mean by noise or multi-pathing. i will check that out. :confused:

Well here is my question regarding 622 and OTA. Figured i would ask it here instead of starting another 622 ota thread.

Right now i use the 622 OTA Tuner to receive my locals in HD. So now i am getting 4 PBS Channels plus the One dish is providing me in SD. heres how it shows in my guide.

8 Program Listing Local WSIU pbs
8.1 Same As above PBS HD
8.2 Same as Above Local WSIU PBS
8.3 Program Listing
8.4 Program Listing

Now im told by dish that the station that is broadcasting the channel send the programming information to the guide. But according to the station they are sending the correct information. And it a problem of dish network. Any ideas??

same problem here. But I kept moving the antenna around and did lift it a few more feet in the air. Still getting no more than 64. But the most part it's good. I mostly have no problem when I'm viewing over the TV. Even though I am only 7 miles away from the transmitter I have this problem. But it is on a low powered transmitter. When they go full power, it should be no problem. Is the Fox station a low powered outfit?

my next door neighbor's house is close by. other than that i don't have any hills or other structures near by. im not sure what you mean by noise or multi-pathing. i will check that out. :confused:
Multipath is just that - the signal reaches your receiving antenna by multiple paths. The paths are of different lengths thus the signals reach your antenna at slightly different times. Two equally strong signals that arrive slightly out of sync (more exactly, slightly out of phase) with one another can in the extreme case completely cancel themselves and the result is what you see, or rather don't see - a dropout. The signals' paths and their relative strengths are ever varying in time and space, and what you receive at your antenna is their convolution. In the case where your "primary" signal is not significantly stronger than the interferring signals you will see periodic pixelations and drop-outs as the multiple signals reach a high enough level to cancel the primary signal to the extent that the receiver doesn't have the "clean" signal needed to resolve into your picture/audio. Usually the primary signal is the one coming directly from the transmitter and the interferring signals are those bouncing off mountains, buildings, trees, your neighbor's house, etc. A good directional antenna can accept the primary signal and largely ignore the rest. (Their "gains" at off-axis directions are significantly lower.) Sometimes a bounced signal will be stronger than your primary signal, especially true if an obstacle is in the direct path. You might be able to take advantage of that by pointing your antenna off-center of the direct signal.

Multipath is confounding. This is why we caution that in many cases adding a preamp to boost signal strength is not the answer as that can't solve the fundamental problem and often adds additional problems such as noise. In the analog days, multipath always appeared as ghosting of some intensity and you could "fine tune" your equipment by reducing the ghosts. Today since it's almost always "all or nothing" with digital signals, the problem is not so easy to solve. Rotating your antenna slightly while looking for fewer dropouts is about the only way unless you can get your hands on a signal analyzer.

"Noise" in this context can be radiated RF energy from other sources that adds into and perturbs your signal, or it can also be the added "thermal" noise of any amplifier, an artifact of the semiconductor amplification process itself. An amplifier's "noise figure" is the measurement of that detractor and lower is better.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)