622 Parental Control Glitch

vegassatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've had two separate service calls where the customer had a 622 and had nearly all of their channels locked out. Here's the breakdown:

Both of them had parental controls set up for a couple of channels only.

Both claimed to have not added other channels to the list.

Both had the L449 software.

Service calls were originally set up as "missing channels" "Channels not in EPG".

The fix was to go in to the parental controls and remove all the channels selected in the #2 Channel Locks option. This is done by going to the option "Clear List". Then go back one screen and make sure that the "Hide/Unhide Blocked Channels" is set to allow channels to show up in EPG. Then exit the Parental Controls and check for programming.

I would like to see how many people are experiencing this issue. If you have a 622 and have any channels blocked in parental controls, check and see if any other unexpected channels are blocked. Check both rooms if you are using it as a dual tuner. For those of you not using parental controls, you can attempt to duplicate this problem by blocking a couple obscure channels and seeing if the problem manifests itself in a few days.

I had the problem yesterday. Stayed on phone with *E tech support for approximately 30 minutes going through all of the checks and resets that she could think of (she was very helpful and genuinely was concerned about my issue). Nothing worked so finally she and I gave up and she is sending me a new 622. The only channels that I was receiving were some of the HD's up to channel 522 and my local SD channels. After getting off the phone with Tech support I was fooling around with the 622 and decided to go into the channel lock section of the locks and noticed that all of the channels were basicly checked to be locked. I don't know how it happened because I am the only one with the password. After unchecking all of them the system seems to be working fine. Any reason why this could have happened such as a software upgrade, or patch?

Another one here. My wife called me and said a bunch of channels weren't working. I got home at lunch and found that ALL my SD channels were locked (previously we just locked out the adult channels). All the HD channels were fine. The kicker is that NO ONE KNEW THE 4 DIGIT UNLOCK CODE BUT ME (not even my wife) so there is no way we did this by accident. I was able to visit the locked channels list and clear it. Then all the channels were available again. Running software L449.

I would venture to guess that an update momentarily made all the channels lose their MPAA rating or some other id that the locks use and the receiver locked all the channels that were missing this id.

Yes, hdmi went out over a year ago. Finally got the tv pulled out and swapped the component cable. Still a green wash.

Check and make sure your red is hooked to red on both ends, blue to blue, etc. If HDMI went out, have DISH get you a new receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts