622 Playback Freeze

nlk10010

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Nassau County NY
Don't know whether to put this in the 4.49 thread or here, partly because I don't know for a fact whether my 622 has 4.49 or if it's connected at all, but...

My 622 did the multiple reboot thingie overnight earlier in the week but settled down after a while. Two nights ago, watching a prerecorded program, the picture FROZE about 3 minutes in. Box wouldn't respond to the remote although the front panel was lit (and in fact it was recording another show at the time). Had to do a hard reboot. When it came back I tried watching the same show, the picture froze at EXACTLY the same point, had to do the hard reboot again. I more or less gave up watching for the day: next night (last evening) I tried to watch a different program and it froze again (although at about 45 minutes in). Same deal, had to hard reboot. When it came back I got a hard disk error message and I couldn't access any DVR functions; when I hit the DVR button I got an error message to the effect that the function wasn't available. I called Tech Support and they're sending me another 622 as a swap (that's good anyway because my HDMI port is dead). But I have a bunch of stuff on the hard disk I'd like to watch and I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and found out how to correct it without changing receivers (maybe it's 4.49 related or there's some other fix)?

Sorry for the length of this post but I figured more info is better than less.

BTW: the Dish Tech couldn't have been more efficient. It almost makes me forget the lack of new HD (ALMOST :)).

Thanks.

Unfortunately I am seeing the same exact problem on my 622. What gives?

How old is it? Did this start with 4.49?

I keep rebooting the thing hoping I can at least salvage some of my recordings (including an HD PPV) but now, each time I turn the 622 on it tells me there's a serious error with my Hard Disk.

I was convinced this was just a 1.5 year old 622 with a tired HD but now I'm not so sure.

A year and a half old as well... Can't tell you if it started with 4.49 but I first noticed it ~ 2/20.

i'm seeing reboots on my 622 tonight - watching a show earlier tonight and picture froze ... (sound was fine) 622 was unresponsive to any remote commands. After a manual reboot it came back online - approx 5 mins later box just turned itself off and rebooted ... then was ok for an hour - and a reboot - then another one just now - thats four reboots in the space of 4-5 hours.

I'm on 449 - box is well aired ... and is approx 12 months old.

Will give them a call tomorrow if no improvement.

edit : Looks like my problem was overheating.

Before making the call to dish - I took my 622 out of the entertainment center and stuck it on top of the cabinet and everything has been just fine for the past couple of days.

Inside the cabinet - it had at least 6 inches above and a couple of inches either side as well as a wide-open back .... and the front glass was always ajar too ... nothing else in there (even with less room) has ever had so much as one glitch .. including computers, consoles, media players, dvd, hddvd players, AV equipment etc etc etc .. just badly designed i guess ? (the 622 not the cabinet) ;)

Last edited: