622 pricing change...up or down??

ostaz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I was told by a customer rep today that the current $199 upgrade to a 622 reciever promotion is good until 1/31/2007. Does anyone have any infromation on whether the deposit price will be going up or down at that point? I've been waiting for the price to drop a bit before I upgrade. It used to be $299, if I remember correctly. Thanks in advance.

Pete

Haven't heard any rumors at all. Would be surprised if it dropped below $199.

But if they ever release the single output model, with outputs to just 1 TV, then it could be lower.

Well, something's going to change as of Feb 1. I doubt they will raise the price. The trend has been for the price to drop every six months or so since it's release. Technology tends to get cheaper as it ages. Now that the 622 has been out for over a year (I think), I would expect it to drop by at least $50. I think it's annoying that they charge us up front at all....but it was new technology at the time.

i heard the 10x10 deal was extended untill feb 31 or something like that. maybe i heard wrong. i will look for a post on this subject

Edit: Guess i was wrong.

Last edited:
Haven't heard any rumors at all. Would be surprised if it dropped below $199.

But if they ever release the single output model, with outputs to just 1 TV, then it could be lower.

I ordered the $199 upgrade today. The rep told me that there is also a $49.99 upgrade available using a single TV box. The fee includes installation of the new dish as well.

The "211" is actually the ViP211, and it has an ethernet port. The 411 does not. Don't get a 411, get a ViP211 if that's the sort of box you're looking for.

That's not what I was referring to. I'm talking about the long rumored 621 (or 612 or whatever), an HD DVR with two tuners but that can only drive 1 TV. First rumors popped up on SatGuys many months ago.

What became of the reman 811s and 942s?

Well, I would have bought a "two tuner for just one TV" HD DVR if it were available, rather than my ViP622. I only use it on one TV. Sometimes I think I might use it for a second TV and get rid of my 508. But realistically, I'll probably have another HDTV there before I get around to setting up the ViP622 in dual mode. So I guess I really want a two tuner two HDTV unit (HD DVR, of course). But I suppose that would take an HDMI cable rather than just a coax (because of HDCP). So I doubt we'll see anything like that in the next few years. I'm not sure what the length limit is on HDMI, but that's one expensive cable, with connectors you won't fish thru walls.

My guess is a small reduction in the ViP series prices, both purchase and lease. I think 2007 will see Dish gear up to speed up replacing the non-MPEG-4, non-8PSK receivers. And Dish Online will help them do it.

Next time my 721 dies (I'm on #6), if they offer a good upgrade deal to an HD DVR, I'll take it- even though I'll lose my "no DVR fee" grandfathered status.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts