622 Problems?

fr8flyr

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 4, 2003
Providence Forge, VA
I have a problem that has me scratching my head and saying HUH!! I have had a 622 on my upstairs TV for several years and it always worked flawlessly, until last week, when it just quit working. It just sits there and doesn't run, no video output at all, will occasionally act like it wants to run and the green led will light for about 30 seconds but then nothing. The 722 I have downstairs is still working fine so I don't see how it can be a problem with the power inserter or the DPP44 switch. I jumped through all the hoops with tech support, they decided it was a bad receiver and sent me a replacement. Sunday it just started working again and worked fine until Tuesday, then it quit again. Fast forward to today, I got the replacement receiver and installed it. It powered up normally went through the check switch and found all the Sats. Started the download for all the guide information and then just quit working, exactly like the other receiver.

Anyone have anything like this ever happen to them? Anyone have any idea on something to try?

Earl

Try swapping the receiver locations with the 722. This will tell us if the problem is with the receivers, or the location. Even try another power outlet if you haven't already.

I tried another outlet already and it's a real hassle to get the other receiver out to try a swap. I may try hooking this one up in the big room, as I have an Sat outlet not currently being used.

Earl

I have a problem that has me scratching my head and saying HUH!! I have had a 622 on my upstairs TV for several years and it always worked flawlessly, until last week, when it just quit working. It just sits there and doesn't run, no video output at all, will occasionally act like it wants to run and the green led will light for about 30 seconds but then nothing. The 722 I have downstairs is still working fine so I don't see how it can be a problem with the power inserter or the DPP44 switch. I jumped through all the hoops with tech support, they decided it was a bad receiver and sent me a replacement. Sunday it just started working again and worked fine until Tuesday, then it quit again. Fast forward to today, I got the replacement receiver and installed it. It powered up normally went through the check switch and found all the Sats. Started the download for all the guide information and then just quit working, exactly like the other receiver.

Anyone have anything like this ever happen to them? Anyone have any idea on something to try?

Earl

My original 622 died like that about a year ago. Had it since they first shipped without issue until then. I was able to get it run once or twice by unplugging and rebooting, but it eventually stopped coming back to life. Dish sent me a replacement that worked great until last week.....it started doing the exact same thing. Thanks to the DIRT team, another replacement is in route right now. Mine did start working again after I unplugged my EHD, not sure if that was a coincidence or not. I am not going to try to mess with it until the replacement gets here.

Thought I would give a follow up in case anyone ever has this problem. I spent 2 hrs on the phone with advanced tech support trying to correct my problem without any results from anything they had me try. The tech they sent had not been briefed on my problems so I explained what the problem was and everything tech support had me doing. The tech walked into the room looked at the receiver not powering up and said "you have a short in the line, probably at the wall connection". He disconnected the line and the receiver started to power up. It seems that if the receiver senses a short in the line it will just shutdown, gee I wonder why advanced tech support didn't think of this. He put a new fitting on the line, a new coupler at the wall and everything is now working fine.

This wall connection has been in since I built the house 11 years ago and was an old SD fitting. The other connectors in the house have been upgraded over the years, from new receivers being installed but this one has never been changed to an HD fitting. The tech said the higher demands of the HD signal degrade the old SD fittings and cause them to short out. So if anyone ever has this problem now you know a possible solution.

Earl

Well the saga continues!! So far I've gone through three 622, one 722 receivers and 2 tech visits. The tech was here today and installed a new 722, as he couldn't get the latest 622 working and everything was up and running. About 1 hr after he left it rebooted itself and was back to the doing the same thing, it just hangs on starting up. Much more of this and I am going to just give up on Dish. This tech came from Reilgh Durham, NC and has been working since Nov of last year so he has a vast experience level to draw from.

Dish is sending another tech out Monday, I wonder where he will come from. At least I can still watch everything on the other receiver, which continues to work flawlessly, just have to give up on some of the shows I like with only 2 tuners available.

Stay tuned for Mondays update it should be interesting!!

Earl

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the LNB. I guess it was drawing too much power. I had tried everything and I had another one so I just swapped them out and bingo ... instant success.

Yes I know it has to be either the DPP44 switch or the LNB, as that's all that hasn't been replaced. I am leaning toward the LNB having a problem and cannot drive 2 receivers is why the one receiver will work and the other is intermittent. We will see later today!

Earl

I would lean toward a bad line. You said it original wall plate since the house was built 11 years ago, chances are the line is rg59 and not rg6, that would cause the receiver to work at first and then stop after a short period of time You mentioned a 44 switch, try putting the line on a different port on the 44 switch, that would rule out the switch if you still have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well I am sad to say that after 11 years I will be leaving Dish Network for Direct TV. The tech came today and took out the DPP44 switch, said it was a conflict with the LNB and wasn't needed. He installed a new LNB and a new 722. The new receiver worked intermittently and he called his supervisor and they decided that the problem is the electrical wiring in my house and not their equipment. He then put me on the phone with the supervisor and I was told that it was my problem and I would be charged for any further service calls.

Now nothing has changed with the house wiring and everything else in the room works fine. As far as the Sat wiring I had the house wired with RG6 when it was built. After they packed up and left I took my meter and checked the voltage in the room and it is right on. I have Direct TV coming Wed to install a new system and then I will cancel my Dish service. Another thing I'll save $30 dollars a month, with more channels and receivers, for the next 2 years locked in.

Earl

They would not install my second 722 with a 622 also without changing out all the wall feed-throughs. The insisted that they had to have blue cores and not white--this for higher current and frequencies. Red cores are in-between. It had been working for years with the DPP-44 and 722+622+921. It took me some time to replace the wire hanging out of the wall with the blue union/feed-through put in the wall inserts which had come with white ones. i had to put them in backwards to make the nut fit.

-Ken