Can two EHDD's be connected to VIP622

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
My EHDD is almost full. I have a second unit (never been used on teh receiver before) and would like to transfer some more movies to it.

I plugged it into the receiver and it said it needed to be formatted, which it does.

Question: if I allow it to format this second EHDD will I still be able to use/view the recordings on the original unit when I plug it back in? OR, after formatting this second EHDD to this receiver will the receiver want to format my original one when I plug it back in (and erase all of my current stuff!)

I don't want to take a chance of losing things.
Thanks

Question: if I allow it to format this second EHDD will I still be able to use/view the recordings on the original unit when I plug it back in? OR, after formatting this second EHDD to this receiver will the receiver want to format my original one when I plug it back in (and erase all of my current stuff!)

As far as I know there are no restrictions on the number of EHDs you can use with the 622, except that you can only have one active one connected at a time.

Each EHD does get formatted the first time you connect it, but that does not affect any previous EHDs.

No problem. You have to transfer the recordings back to the dvr first. Then you can connect the new drive and transfer the recordings to that one.

I want to be clear on this ... yikes! If I format a second EHDD and make a few recording to it then replace it with my original EHDD with my original one still work and the recording be accessable .... OR .... with the receiver try to re-format the original since it has formatted a different one?

I guess it boils down then can I have two working and formatted EHDD's and swap them back and forth as I chose (only one hooked up at a time of course)

Geeze ... this adfly refresh is annoying. Why can the good folks fix it. It is right in their source code for the forum as a refresh! 16 times in this simple reply.

<div class="forumrow"> <center> <iframe frameborder="0" src ="http://www.satelliteguys.us/adify_leader_refresh.htm" width="739" height="111" scrolling="no">

Yes, you can have multiple EHDs but only one at a time can be connected. When you format the new one and move media to it you can unplug it and plug the old one back in and get all the media you have on it as well....

Yes, you can have several EHDs. I do. I move them between ViP722s. I know of no limit on how many you can have. Only one can be active at any given time.

There are even ways to have more than one hooked up and ready to go at the same time. (One solution I use - I have three hooked up through a hub, one for movies, one for sports, one for other. Each is on a power strip with switchable outlets. I turn on the one I want)

That was going to be my next investigation as I thought that the receiver could probably only see one unit at a time.

Is there a way to archive the recordings from the 622 to the EHDD and also leave them on the 622?

I have around 18, yes it works... :D
Don, still outdoing me. I only have 12--5@.75TB, 4@1TB, 1@1.5TB, 2@2TB. Four are on stands, one or two depending if one is used for computer backup.

This is for 2 722s and a separate 622. You may have all connected through a USB hub or all powered up but only one powered up and connected per DVR. Currently I just pick the color-coded USB and power block to use for each DVR.

Occasionally, just this last week for the first time in a couple of years, you may have to ask for an authorization hit if a known good disk causes the DVR to request a re-format of the EHD. This will change the Menu+6+3+Counters+pagedowns Household Key to change, so have all DVRs on the account ready for the hit. Curiously, 2 have the same number and the other is similar.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)