622 Reboots driving us crazy

billben1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
We currently have 2 - 622s one in my son's room and one in the rec room. The unit in the rec room locks up and reboots constantly and recently after rebooting it can't find satellites un til I do a hard power off restart. The one in my son's room work flawlessly. This week dish had a tech come out and replace the 622 in the rec room. Two hours later the new unit rebooted on it's own like the old one.

I don't know what else could be causing the reboot..We have 3 dishes, 119, 110, 129, & 61.5. Also have a DPP44 switch and hooked up to a LAN.

Any ideas what else I should look at? I don't think it is the switch because the other 622 never fails...

Thanks in advance for any info...

Bill

We currently have 2 - 622s one in my son's room and one in the rec room. The unit in the rec room locks up and reboots constantly and recently after rebooting it can't find satellites un til I do a hard power off restart. The one in my son's room work flawlessly. This week dish had a tech come out and replace the 622 in the rec room. Two hours later the new unit rebooted on it's own like the old one.

I don't know what else could be causing the reboot..We have 3 dishes, 119, 110, 129, & 61.5. Also have a DPP44 switch and hooked up to a LAN.

Any ideas what else I should look at? I don't think it is the switch because the other 622 never fails...

Bill

Overheating, other electronic equipment on the same circuit, that feeds back "dirty power" to your power. Bad grounding on the electric circuit. It's a COMPUTER that receives satellite signals.

For instance, at my house, if I plug an old HP Laserjet 2 printer into the same circuit my tv and Vip622 is plugged into, I can hear my UPS do the "dirty-power being received" click over and over, as the printer cycles. Since they are plugged into a UPS it doesn't affect them, but it proves that printer feeds back MESSY power-cycling signals to my internal circuits, and that can affect sensitive devices. Perhaps you have something simular going on?

Try to have the Dish power supply, TV, receiver, phone modem and/or Ethernet switch/router on the same 3-prong circuit and the same power leg, preferably on an adequate UPS. Check your voltage with a good voltmeter, with care. Check for hot-neutral reversal with a $5 3-prong, 3-neon tester. On remodel, I found exactly 1/2 of my house was reversed.

-Ken

Bill

You must of got the one I shipped back last month. I received a bad replacement vip 622, I think you did too. Call DISH for replacement and DISH should not charge you shipping.

Try to have the Dish power supply, TV, receiver, phone modem and/or Ethernet switch/router on the same 3-prong circuit and the same power leg, preferably on an adequate UPS. Check your voltage with a good voltmeter, with care. Check for hot-neutral reversal with a $5 3-prong, 3-neon tester. On remodel, I found exactly 1/2 of my house was reversed.

-Ken

Heat is definitely an issue for too many units, but you didn't mention heat in your post.

I think Ken's on the right track. Hot neutral reverse DOES cause regular rebooting, even though it will work for a period of time before it does reboot. (say 45 minutes or longer)

Three tests to do:

#1. Unplug the rec room receiver from your Monster power (or any surge protector) and plug it directly into the wall. (If you don't have Monster or any surge protector, proceed to step two.

#2. Second, use and extension cord to plug the rec room receiver into the plug in your son's room. Try it that way and see if it still reboots.

#3. Swap receiver locations. This will tell you if it is a receiver error or if it is something electrical.

If #1 solves the problem, replace your surge protector. Panamax makes ones that work well with satellite.

If #2 solves the problem, check the wiring with the $5 voltmeter available at Wal-Mart.

If you have to try #3, you probably have a bad receiver and the rec room receiver will reboot in you son's room while your son's room receiver will work fine in the rec room. IF they both work fine after the switch...loose connection.

Thanks all for the info...I will check the power...I don't think heat is the issue but will check the temp on the unit...The cabinet is pretty well ventilated...the power inserter and the 622 are plugged into 2 seperate outlets I will change the equipment to plug into the same circuit and check for reversal.

Thanks Again

Bill

Thanks all for the info...I will check the power...I don't think heat is the issue but will check the temp on the unit...The cabinet is pretty well ventilated...the power inserter and the 622 are plugged into 2 seperate outlets I will change the equipment to plug into the same circuit and check for reversal.

Thanks Again

Bill
I would call tech support and ask for escalation to level 2 or 3 tech, describe your problem (about can't find satellites, requiring reboot) and see if this isn't maybe a known problem. This symptom strikes a familiar note.

Heat is definitely an issue for too many units, but you didn't mention heat in your post.

I think Ken's on the right track. Hot neutral reverse DOES cause regular rebooting, even though it will work for a period of time before it does reboot. (say 45 minutes or longer)

After being the 3rd person to replace a guy's 622 receiver(back when we still carried them in our warehouse) I figured it had to be something with his electrical wiring, possibly the ground. So what I did, was skipped the surge protector, and plugged the receiver directly into the wall with a cheater(3 to 2 prong adapter) so the ground wasn't connected at all. Nobody's been back there since. A couple other guys used this same trick with the same positive result.
Why it works, I don't know........

If you have a tech come back out, talk him into giving you a 722, these are less sensitive than the 622, to faulty electrical wiring.

After being the 3rd person to replace a guy's 622 receiver(back when we still carried them in our warehouse) I figured it had to be something with his electrical wiring, possibly the ground. So what I did, was skipped the surge protector, and plugged the receiver directly into the wall with a cheater(3 to 2 prong adapter) so the ground wasn't connected at all. Nobody's been back there since. A couple other guys used this same trick with the same positive result.
Why it works, I don't know........

If you have a tech come back out, talk him into giving you a 722, these are less sensitive than the 622, to faulty electrical wiring.

When you use a device with a three prong plug like a computer or digital receiver (these both are/contain digital signal processors), they are designed to use the complete circuit. The ground connection will do one of two things:

1. If the electrical system and ground is correctly installed, the ground drains excess unwanted electrical energy. Unwanted electrical energy in digital signal processing is called noise. Noise is the enemy of signal. A properly installed ground circuit reduces noise and thereby increases signal quality. In the "high-noise and signal-poor" world of HD satellite systems, more than ever, the ground is more than just the law.

2. If the ground is incorrectly installed, a ground loop antenna is formed which does not drain excess noise, but actually collects and adds more noise. It is a loop antenna. The ground loop antenna that is formed continually feeds an even greater amount of "noise" into the system. This noise builds up eroding the signal to noise ratio (signal quality) to the point of signal loss, and the need to reboot.

So, removing the ground prong in an improperly wired system stops the insertion of the excess added noise into the system, and allows it to "appear" to work fine. (It actually just takes MUCH longer for the system to require a re-boot.)

BUT,

When you remove the ground prong, you set up your system for future failure.

You have reduced the accuracy and function of the digital system.

You have also opened the door to potentially life threatening electrical shock and greatly increased the chance of irreversible equipment failure due to electrical fluctuations.

You will have reduced signal quality. Whether or not a reduction of signal quality is perceptible, depends on where you are on the signal meter. Reduced signal quality at this level won't likely affect your standard definition viewing because you are likely in the higher end of the signal with sats 110 and 119. But, if you are at the low end of the meter (which is just about all that is available in regards to HD), you may have increased incidence of pixilation, increased signal loss in poor weather, and may even experience sub-standard HDTV picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)