622 recording multiple copies of program on DishPass or "record new"

bradleys

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 10, 2003
Seattle / Blaine / Port McNeill
I've been DVR recording "CFL Football" on World Sport HD.

Both Dish Pass and "record new" record multiple copies of the same game.

I've also noticed multiple recordings with several news programs which are repeated thru the night.

I found the old post which suggests using "record new" instead of "Dish Pass", but that didn't fix this problem.

Maybe the guide doesn't have enough info for the 622 to figure out it's a repeat?

Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it works?

The software, in my experience, works properly as long as the guide information is correct. I have numerous timers that are listed as "Skipped" and the reason is "Duplicate event" and the DVR software determined it was a duplicate, not me.

r_childress,

Yes, I thought the software might get confused with wierd combinations of timers, so I deleted everything except for one program (CFL Football). It still recorded duplicates.

hall,

Some of my additional testing verifies the "bad guide" problem. For example, "Larry King Live" is correctly recorded, but "Special Report with Britt Hume" is recorded multiple times. Obvious political jokes aside, the difference seems to be that Larry's guide entry has specific, different guests mentioned in the guide, but Britt's guide entry just says "News/Business".

My guess is that the software records all instances of programs with no detailed guide data, otherwise it would only record one instance ever.

I'll open a trouble ticket with E* and see what they have to say. Even if they could just put the date in the guide data, that might be enough. They should be able to at least fix the guide data for World Sport HD, since they own it.

bradleys said:
I've been DVR recording "CFL Football" on World Sport HD.

Both Dish Pass and "record new" record multiple copies of the same game.

I've also noticed multiple recordings with several news programs which are repeated thru the night.

I found the old post which suggests using "record new" instead of "Dish Pass", but that didn't fix this problem.

Maybe the guide doesn't have enough info for the 622 to figure out it's a repeat?

Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it works?

No it happens from time to time. I would advise deleting both timers, reset the box, and then set the "record new only". See if that clears it up.

bradleys said:
My guess is that the software records all instances of programs with no detailed guide data, otherwise it would only record one instance ever.

My 622 records reruns of "Get Out" and "Art Mann Presents" on HDNet. It won't record a rerun the same day, but if the episode airs a couple of weeks later it records it again. They do have program details in the guide. On the other hand, its never recorded a rerun of "World Music" on LINK, even though they have very spotty program descriptions.

Mine records multiple "Smart Travels." I just delete the extras, gave up. Minor problem if you can keep up with it. Not sure what would happen if I went away for two weeks, probably start losing older recordings.

My 622 has recorded several airings of the season premiere of "Nip/Tuck," after setting the timer as "new episodes." The synopsis is very generic, with no mention of "season premiere" or "new." I'd have to say that this is a pretty rare problem, though.

Brad

I gave up on the DishPass, after my attempt to use it to record "Las Vegas" off of NBC and TNT HD also started recording any show mentioning Las Vegas in the description....

The New Episodes tag works pretty well, no problems with missed episodes.

Also, I just got my replacement 622, and VOILA my HDMI works again. We'll see how long it lasts. Cost to me = $0. The extended warranty to the rescue once again....

Yes happening here too. All I can say is change your timer to weekly and it might cut down on the copies of the shows. I am getting Nip/Tucked to death myself.

I am seeing the same thing on select shows. But there is ONE thing that I have noticed....every single one of these repeats that gets recorded does NOT even have the year in the info field.
But I am gonna try deleting and resetting to see if it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)