622 recording/viewing issue

jb1945

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Sacramento, California
I have a 622 connected to my HD, tv1. Tv2 is an SD set in another room. The box is in dual mode. When watching tv1 and the pre-set timer starts recording another show, everything is fine. The show records, I can watch something else or flip through the channels on tv1. However, if I turn on tv2 while the 622 is recording I am unable to change channels without stopping the recording. Is this the way it is supposed to operate? Do I need to adjust something? I was lead to believe the 622 operates the same as having two boxes. I believe this situation would not appear with a second box.

Said it yourself. Tuner connected to tv2 is recording. Only way to change that is to set preference to tv1, but then you would get the same thing on tv1 unless you are watching the ota tuner. The 622 has two sat tuners and one ota tuner and while in dual mode ota is viewable on tv1. Sounds like you want two sat tuners for tv2 and two additional sat tuners for tv1.

Thanks for the quick replies. It is not a big issue with me, just not what I expected. Last month (with comcast) had the HD DVR in one room, regular receiver in the other. Clearly, recording had no effect on the second tv. I was told the 622 would operate the same way with only the single box.

It sounds like you may have been told right.

With comcast you had the 1st box that was a combination receiver (cable tuner?) and DVR, and a 2nd box that was only a receiver (cable tuner?). With the second box, you could not watch live programming and record something else.

Now you have the equivalent of 2 separate "combination receiver/DVR's", but in one box. You can not use TV2 tuner to record one program at the same time you are watching a different program (unless you are just watching a recorded program from the hard drive).

I haven't tried this, but at the same time you should be able to record one program using TV1, record a second program using TV2, while TV1 and TV2 are each watching a previously recorded program or programs.

Edit: Also, if you plan on using TV2 at certain times, you may want to have the recording done by TV1. Then you can lunge in the other room and have complete control of TV2. Probably needs a little more getting use to.

Last edited:
But wait. There is another option. The 622 can output both tuners to TV 2. This is done on different channels so you can switch between them. Go to Menu, system setup (6), Installation (1), Modulator Setup (5). Then you can set which channels TV1 and TV2 are output to. Then you can switch between them. Hope that helps!

Only drawback is you don't have control of TV1 tuner from the other room while its in Dual Mode.

Both 622 remotes "Green 1" and "Blue 2" will operate on the Aux Mode as an IR and UHF remote, but I don't think it will operate TV1 via the UHF. Using some type of optional "UHF Remote Kit" may work to control TV1 from another room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts