622 Sat HD Local VS OTA HD locals

red65mustang

Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Has anybody done a side by side with a 622 receiving HD locals through the sat service and a 622 using the OTA tuner to receive HD locals? If so what is the quality difference? To me the sat service would have a higher compression ratio but with the new MPEG4 system is it that noticeable especially with fast motion like football or action movies.

If you have a choice and get a reliable OTA signal the quality is superior. There have been improvements to the signal from Dish and there may be more to come but for now OTA is the best you can get. In addition to motion issues the local image provided by dish seems a little softer to me. However, if and when Dish starts carrying my local Fox station I'll be recording off the Satellite because the difference isn't THAT big and I hate losing recordings half way thru.

I have looked and looked and can tell no difference visually between the two. I wondered if there was any conversion happening on the OTA channels when they were fed through the 622 reciever. Of course, my Sony TV only has a 768 line resolution. The only thing I have noticed is that the Satellite locals sometimes have lipsync issues. I also try to set all my recordings on the OTA channels, if I get any rain at all, the other channels go off (wish there was an option from dishnetwork to get a slightly bigger dish with more gain).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts