622 SD (NTSC) output behavior *$&#^@)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
I just got my 622 installed, and immediately don't like the way it handles NTSC output compared to my 811 (which was perfect). Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong!

Here's what I want: Simultaneous HD (1080i) output to an HD set and SD (NTSC) output to a regular TV without any distortion of the NTSC picture or HD picture. Also, I want to use Single Mode so either the HD or SD set has access to OTA digitals.

Unfortunately, the only way I seem to be able to get a distortion-free NTSC image is to use the 4:3 #2 aspect setting. But that screws up the HD output!

I have also played with every combination of the Format (*) key to no avail. The 811 had separate Format settings for both SD and HD outputs, but the 622 keeps them sync'd together.

This stuff gets complicated, so I may not be explaining it all well. I'll think about making a chart or something...

Not what normac is talking about. What he is saying, while in single mode, if sd is set at normal on HD output and you look at tv2 outputs, the sd picture is compressed and black side bars are still visable. But in dual mode sd picture needs to be normal on tv2. No matter what outputs you use.

garys said:
...No matter what outputs you use.
Correct. I actually tried composite, S-vid and RF. The behavior is all the same. :mad:

You can sorta correct SD source material when viewing on the SD set by choosing the Stretch format option. But there is no way to view HD source material on the SD set without either (a) distortion or (b) cropping the L & R sides.

What amazes me is that Dish did a great job handling all the simultaneous SD & HD format possibilities on the 811 model. You can just about do anything with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts