622 UHF remotes "eat" batteries

I'm sure that the first thing Charlie does each morning when he gets to his office is call in his entire staff to update him on whether YOU personally are happy.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Charlie has way bigger things to be concerned about such as the possible sale to AT&T, the delay in getting our new satellites up due to the "launch" company having delay problems, losing thousands and thousands (not just one, not just YOU) of his customers or possible new customers to Directv, etc.,etc.

The impression that you have given from all your postings is that Dish should do everything according to what YOU and YOU ALONE want (and to heck with everyone else). If you don't like it, leave. But I guarantee you that Directv or whatever cable company you go to WILL NOT base their business decisions around YOU and YOU ALONE either.

Dish Network is not interested in just pleasing ONE person alone. They want to be the leader in Satellite TV and that means pleasing the MAJORITY of people who are or will become satellite TV subscribers. They don't make the big bucks off one subscriber alone. They make the big bucks off millions and millions of subscribers.

P.S: You bet Directv is kicking our butts right now, but when we do get those satellites up, we WILL be right back to kicking their teeth in.

You clearly missed my point. My complaint has nothing to do with me specifically. I would say a majority of subscribers would be pissed off if the CSR advised them that there would be a shipping charge on a replacement remote. I am a complainer, so sure, I demanded they waive the fee. There are a lot of people that would be very unhappy about having to pay to ship the remote, but they wouldn't say anything. They would just pay it and be pissed off about it. Their feelings in deciding whether to keep Dish or not later on would be effected by Dish's behavior in charging for shipping the remote.

I think Dish figures it is worth a shot at getting money out of subscribers by asking them to pay for shipping on the remote. If somebody bitches, they waive the fee, if they don't, they charge the fee. Either way, they are pissing people off with this. Is it worth it for $6 to them?

Where this gets personal is that this just adds another example of my anger towards Dish. Here I am, a good subscriber, and they have the nerve to ask me to pay for shipping on a replacement of broken equipment that is leased.

If you know me so well and know my posts, you'd know that I subscribe to both Dish and cable. Cable would never attempt to bill me for getting me a new remote. They'd either schedule somebody to come to me for free or let me swap it out at one of their offices.

My rant is not just about me. There are thousands of people getting upset with Dish over the lack of HD channel adds and other reasons. You can try to be Mr Funny and suggest that I think Charlie wakes up in the morning worried about keeping me, but in reality, he should certainly wake up and worry about losing 2000, 3000, 4000 or more subscribers based on poor customer service, channel adds and policy.

I am just one subscriber, one very vocal subscriber, and I know that. You have misjudged me if you think I see myself as anything other than that. You can multiply my unhappiness by thousands of other subscribers and they most certainly have something to worry about.

I have said before that I only keep Dish as a second provider. I wouldn't go Dish only for a number of reasons. 1- not happy with the channel selection (ie- no Fox Business, missing premium multichannels, missing HD channels, etc) 2- I lose service a lot when it rains in the summertime (good thing I have cable too) ... and there are many more reasons... those are just the start. I am happy enough to use Dish as a secondary provide because I get channels I wouldn't otherwise get with cable and they have a better DVR. I originally got Dish for the extra HD content over cable, but now DirecTV has much more, so I may go with them instead of Dish. We'll see what happens.

I just found myself changing the batteries in my 622 UHF remote yet again today, less than 2 weeks since the last change.

They agreed to send me a replacement but tried to charge me $5.98 for shipping. I told them no way was I paying for the shipping of a replacement and demanded the Indian CSR waive the fee. He put me on hold and came back to say he would waive the fee.

They have some nerve. I am so close to dropping them as it is and going with DirecTV. They should be walking on egg shells with me, instead they try to pawn of another $6 on me. I have only had Dish for like 8-9 months and have changed the batteries in this UHF remote several times. I shouldn't be penalized by paying for shipping the replacement unit. Geeze.

I have been down that road. However, I also worked for a large cable co. in customer service. The problem you had was even more aggrevating because you got someone in India. Unfortunately, many of them are NOT good LISTENERS. I have an HP PC & I have to call India if I need service or tech support. Same thing...

I considered DirecTv, but I am not into sports & only require HBO, the top 200 chs., and the Dish DVR Advantance pkg. I previously had Dish for 2 yrs. with minimal issues. I know that the saying "You catch more bees with honey than vinegar" rings true more than not. India people don't think like we do in general. I have gotten around the real stubborn ones by demanding a supervisor & have hung up on the ones who would not escalate the problem to a sup.

What I would do about the remote if it continues is use rechargable batteries. All my remotes have them and they work well. If you really want DirecTV get it, but I personally would make that decision when I wasn't angry or emotional.

Just my take. Hope this helps.;)

Last edited:
I have been down that road. However, I also worked for a large cable co. in customer service. The problem you had was even more aggrevating because you got someone in India. Unfortunately, many of them are NOT good LISTENERS. I have an HP PC & I have to call India if I need service or tech support. Same thing...

I considered DirecTv, but I am not into sports & only require HBO, the top 200 chs., and the Dish DVR Advantance pkg. I previously had Dish for 2 yrs. with minimal issues. I know that the saying "You catch more bees with honey than vinegar" rings true more than not. India people don't think like we do in general. I have gotten around the real stubborn ones by demanding a supervisor & have hung up on the ones who would not escalate the problem to a sup.

What I would do about the remote if it continues is use rechargable batteries. All my remotes have them and they work well. If you really want DirecTV get it, but I personally would make that decision when I wasn't angry or emotional.

Just my take. Hope this helps.;)

Well, the remote thing just fuels the fire. I don't care that I had to take the time to call them. I don't care that they are sending me a replacement. I care that they had the nerve to try to bill me for shipping me the remote. They tried to nickel and dime me. I don't think the others on here paid for shipping, but I am sure Dish probably tried. Just their asking is so petty. It shows their mindset in doing business. They don't value their customers as much as they should. They should be of the attitude that they'll be getting me a remote out right away and never even consider suggesting that I, the customer, pay for it. This is a known problem as posted on this board. Some of the UHF remotes eat batteries, but they shouldn't according to all accounts. Mine has been eating batters from the start. I wouldn't even have thought to call and bitch about it had I not read on here that it was a problem and it shouldn't be doing that. I thought it just ate batteries. The suggestions here were to call support and have a replacement sent out. I did that. I was just shocked that Dish actually had the nerve to ask me to pay shipping. Seriously, it just says a lot about them. Last time I called I was asking about consolidating two of my boxes (standard box and 211) into getting a second 622. I wasn't mad about the $149 price, even though it is leased and I don't own the equipment, but I turned it down because they wanted an 18 month commitment. I don't want to sign a commitment, so therefore I can't get a second 622. Sure, I could probably get a better deal than the $149 if I bitched, threatened to leave and got passed over to customer retention, but they'd still try to get me on an 18 monther. Forget it! I am not playing games with them.

I just think they are really desperate right now and the churn is higher than they are letting on. I think a lot of people are bailing for DirecTV or cable.

Wow, I feel lucky. I have two #1 remotes, and two #2 remotes (one converted to a #1 using a key) and I haven't had to change the batteries in over a year.

For what they want for shipping on a remote, you can get a remote including shipping for about the same price on ebay.

For what they want for shipping on a remote, you can get a remote including shipping for about the same price on ebay.

Yeah, but it is leased equipment, so they should make sure I have functioning equipment. I deal with companies on warranties and leases all the time in the computer industry. Unless the product is out of warranty and non-leased, the companies cover the shipping. I guess Dish wants to be a trend-setter in a bad way.

Well, the remote thing just fuels the fire. I don't care that I had to take the time to call them. I don't care that they are sending me a replacement. I care that they had the nerve to try to bill me for shipping me the remote. They tried to nickel and dime me. I don't think the others on here paid for shipping, but I am sure Dish probably tried. Just their asking is so petty. It shows their mindset in doing business. They don't value their customers as much as they should. They should be of the attitude that they'll be getting me a remote out right away and never even consider suggesting that I, the customer, pay for it. This is a known problem as posted on this board. Some of the UHF remotes eat batteries, but they shouldn't according to all accounts. Mine has been eating batters from the start. I wouldn't even have thought to call and bitch about it had I not read on here that it was a problem and it shouldn't be doing that. I thought it just ate batteries. The suggestions here were to call support and have a replacement sent out. I did that. I was just shocked that Dish actually had the nerve to ask me to pay shipping. Seriously, it just says a lot about them. Last time I called I was asking about consolidating two of my boxes (standard box and 211) into getting a second 622. I wasn't mad about the $149 price, even though it is leased and I don't own the equipment, but I turned it down because they wanted an 18 month commitment. I don't want to sign a commitment, so therefore I can't get a second 622. Sure, I could probably get a better deal than the $149 if I bitched, threatened to leave and got passed over to customer retention, but they'd still try to get me on an 18 monther. Forget it! I am not playing games with them.

I just think they are really desperate right now and the churn is higher than they are letting on. I think a lot of people are bailing for DirecTV or cable.

When I worked for cable it was no different. I stopped working for large corps. because of their "greed" factor & bottom line. Granted, a co. won't stay in bus. for long if they aren't making a profit. I fully understand the way you feel and see things. It's the way of world. Money seems to be all anybody cares about anymore.

I just found myself changing the batteries in my 622 UHF remote yet again today, less than 2 weeks since the last change.

They agreed to send me a replacement but tried to charge me $5.98 for shipping. I told them no way was I paying for the shipping of a replacement and demanded the Indian CSR waive the fee. He put me on hold and came back to say he would waive the fee.

They have some nerve. I am so close to dropping them as it is and going with DirecTV. They should be walking on egg shells with me, instead they try to pawn of another $6 on me. I have only had Dish for like 8-9 months and have changed the batteries in this UHF remote several times. I shouldn't be penalized by paying for shipping the replacement unit. Geeze.
I have the same issue with my UHF remote for the 622. I've replaced the batteries about 5 times in the last 3 months. I've only had the remote for 1 year. I called DISH yesterday, and they will be sending me a new remote via UPS. The CSR made sure I knew that she was waiving the $24.95 S&H charge. I can't fathom that a remote costs that much to ship, but I was told next time I would be charged. Thanks, Charlie.

i too had a defective remote, this controls tv#2. I finally called dish to explain my problem. the rep said my warranty ran out...well duh i have a subscriber for over2 years. He said i can buy an extended warranty for 5.99 a month to cover. I said that your equipment is defective why do i need to pay anything? i told him that this is a common problem with the remote, he denied it. we went on and on for 10 minutes.

finally i told him to transfered me to a supervisor. he went through the same side step about warranties. I told him dish already ripped me off to activate a hard drive for my dvr, but its fine. also i reminded him this is a very common problem and he knows it. i told him directv would do this to me. i already pay 75 a month for your services. finally he agree to send one out free of charge. dish reps are a-holes. they are always trying to squeeze extra money out of us.

... Last time I called I was asking about consolidating two of my boxes (standard box and 211) into getting a second 622. I wasn't mad about the $149 price, even though it is leased and I don't own the equipment, but I turned it down because they wanted an 18 month commitment. I don't want to sign a commitment, so therefore I can't get a second 622. Sure, I could probably get a better deal than the $149 if I bitched, threatened to leave and got passed over to customer retention, but they'd still try to get me on an 18 monther. Forget it! I am not playing games with them.

You're kidding? $149 doesn't pay for a 622, they have every right to ask that you commit to enough lease payments to have them make a profit on the transaction. You really need to go to another provider and learn that they ALL need to make a profit.

And they did waive the shipping for the remote, didn't they?

patmurphey said:
You're kidding? $149 doesn't pay for a 622, they have every right to ask that you commit to enough lease payments to have them make a profit on the transaction. You really need to go to another provider and learn that they ALL need to make a profit.

And they did waive the shipping for the remote, didn't they?

Dish doesn't do 18 month agreements,they are 24 months.