622 Upgrade Notes from Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Early this morning (3:30 am) I got an interesting note from Dish Network regarding the 622 upgrade program and the special toll free number which was setup by Dish Network exclusively for forum members of SatelliteGuys and DBSTalk.

In this email we were told "We attempted to keep the number staffed as best as we could 24/7 since launch. If there was not enough staff, it is true that the calls would roll over to tier 2 agents instead of tier 3 agents, or even to the main IVR menu. This is what some people have experienced, and we apologize for any inconvenience. There was not and is not any ulterior motive on our part."

In sense they got more calls from members of SatelliteGuys and DBSTalk then they expected and because of this many callers did not get the knowledgeable reps handling the 622 upgrades instead they got someone else in the company.

This entire special toll free number for forum members was an idea hatched in less then 2 weeks, so the fact they even got it up, running and staffed in that short of a time is amazing in itself.

Dish Network has been monitoring the forums 24/7 over the past few days reading about your upgrade reports, and I myself have also been monitoring things and while I did see a few bumps in the road I thought things went remarkably well.

SatelliteGuys.US would like to salute the folks at Dish Network (especially Justin) who know the power of forums like SatelliteGuys and worked hard to try giving our members the very best upgrade experience they could.

Yes there were some bumps in the road, however from where I sit it was a job done well.

Bravo Dish Network!

"Bravo Dish Network!" Yes! It was well done.

Now if they could just go ahead and let me have the $49 deal for the 811 (2nd upgrade) I would be even happier.

--Doug

datwell said:
Now if they could just go ahead and let me have the $49 deal for the 811 (2nd upgrade) I would be even happier.--Doug

This is definitely an area that needs some definitive clarification on Dishnetwork's part since some people are able to do it and some aren't!

rjruby said:
This is definitely an area that needs some definitive clarification on Dishnetwork's part since some people are able to do it and some aren't!

Agree, moreover, I decided to opt out of the upgrade until I will be allowed to replace my both 942 and 811 for 622 and 211. My principle is: I will not pay for something I will not be able to watch. Like new HD channels on 811. So if Dish releases later StarsHD and/or CinemaxHD and I will not be able to upgrade both receivers then Stars and Cinemax packs will be excluded from my current AEP package. Just because I will not pay for something I will not be able to watch.:mad:

Scott - I certainly appreciate the special number. I called Sunday 4/2 around 2pm. Don't know what "tier" I ended up with, but the CSR was VERY much up-to-date on all of the upgrade issues.

Now just have to bide my time 'til the 622 shows up....then bide my time 'til the install.

I myself am waiting till they have the upgrade to own. I want to upgrade a 811, 942 and 921 to 622's. I may actually want another 622 as well and just have all 622's. (We only have 4 HD sets however are looking to upgrade the rest in the future)

Scott Greczkowski said:
In this email we were told "We attempted to keep the number staffed as best as we could 24/7 since launch. If there was not enough staff, it is true that the calls would roll over to tier 2 agents instead of tier 3 agents, or even to the main IVR menu. This is what some people have experienced, and we apologize for any inconvenience. There was not and is not any ulterior motive on our part."
Translation: We didn't realize we'd have to properly train so many CSRs to keep people from comparing notes on their bad experiences.

The idea for the special phone number may be less than 2 weeks old but they've know since at least the January Charlie Chat that there would be an offer.

Still, I'm pleased overall to see so many people reporting the process is going smoothly and correctly.

special toll free number which was setup by Dish Network exclusively for forum members of SatelliteGuys and DBSTalk. Did I miss something?:confused: What is the # ?

BB468

datwell said:
"Bravo Dish Network!" Yes! It was well done.

Now if they could just go ahead and let me have the $49 deal for the 811 (2nd upgrade) I would be even happier.

--Doug

Amen to that, brother! (In my case - 6000 for 211)

Brad

Hopin' the E* folks are indeed looking for the feedback - I am a bit miffed that I activated a leased 811 in Dec. (before I knew anything about the 622 or these forums where one can really get the skinny on just about anything) with a 12 mo. commitment and now I'm apparently stuck in that contract until next Dec. before I can upgrade to either MPEG-4 receiver without a penalty. I would hope that E* would allow some plan to get folks into the latest technology sooner without the cancellation penalty - any hope of that? BTW - I'm a 7+ year customer...

Even a tiered pricing structure based on how long you've had the original leased equipment makes more sense to me than some broad needlessly bureaucratic "1 upgrade every twelve months" upgrade straightjacket. I mean, just admit supplies are tight, you pay a bit more and you have to be on a waiting list for a month...why not??

shanewalker said:
Even a tiered pricing structure based on how long you've had the original leased equipment makes more sense to me than some broad needlessly bureaucratic "1 upgrade every twelve months" upgrade straightjacket. I mean, just admit supplies are tight, you pay a bit more and you have to be on a waiting list for a month...why not??

The operative word there is "admit" - a word that the policy makers at Dish have yet to learn.

Every once in a blue moon, you'll get a tech csr that might admit something like they're "having some problems with MPEG4" but basically most customer animosity can be directly related to Dish's refusal to admit anything negative and embelish everything positive.

Well, I for one was happy with the special number. It was nice not to be more informed than the CSR! The process went very smoothly. I do have a couple of issues someone may have an answer to. 1) How soon do receivers normally ship out? I have a 4/12 install date and I will not be home the next 3 days. Might it come that quickly?
2) Anyone getting charged $5/month for not having a phone line connected to their 622? I haven't had home phone service in several years and don't think that's fair at all!

Sean Mota said:
I am still on hold but I am able to upgrade both my 942 and 6000 to a 622 and a 211 for $348 - $200 (rebate) = $148.
As I posted in another thread, EchoStar (Dish Network) just made the Fortune 500 list of Fastest Growing Companies (growth in profits). They were #3 on the list with a 600% growth in earnings per share. People can say what they want about Charlie (many are true), but the guy knows how to run a profitable business. Based on this fact, I would hope that better offers are coming...especially for 921/942 owners. Heck, I may even call the "hotline" and ask if they'll waive $99 off the 622 lease upgrade (making it free after the $200 921/942 rebate), waive that stupid $6 lease fee under the DIU promotion, waive the "professional installation" I don't need nor do I want (save them $$$ and save me time) in exchange for an 18 month programming commitment. I have DishHD Platinum and it would keep me away from FiOS TV for another 18 months. Seems like a pretty good deal if I were E*.

TBarclay said:
2) Anyone getting charged $5/month for not having a phone line connected to their 622? I haven't had home phone service in several years and don't think that's fair at all!
I haven't received my 622 yet, but I have had a 942 since October and they don't appear to be billing me the $6.00 "access fee" even though I'm not connected to a phone line.

riffjim4069 said:
... People can say what they want about Charlie (many are true), but the guy knows how to run a profitable business. ...
This stockholder is happy. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts