622 vs. 722k

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Well DISH has talked me out of an upgrade for now. I had been waiting for the 922, but since there is no TV2 output I decided to find out more about going from 622 to 722k. The DISH guy tells me that it will cost:

$100 Upgrade Fee

$ 95 Technician Installation Fee

So now I think I will just keep my 622! That seems pretty expensive to add two features:

-larger hard drive (500 GB to 1 TB)

-dual over the air capability

Plus they renew a 24 month contract. Are there any other compelling features that I am missing here? Purely from an economic standpoint, I can add an external hard drive and get more memory.

Might they have some special offers to waive these fees? I am just anticipating that the $100 upgrade fee is for somebody to enter a few keystrokes in a database. As far as the installation fee, I can't imagine that it gets much simpler than going from a 622 to a 722k.

Speaking of memory, has anybody here tried a Western Digital My Book 2 TB external HD? They still tell me over the phone that there is a 1 TB maximum size limit.

Maybe see if they will just ship you the receiver, that would save the $95 tech visit. Upgrade fees are usually not able to be waived, but you might try an online chat to see if you can get a csr that'll maybe give a little better deal than the other. Keep in mind, you mention recording three shows at once, so I assume you have an off air antenna. The 722k requires a module for OTA at an additional cost of I think 30 bucks, if you can get one, I know Dish has been out o them as of late. The good news is you'll be able to record 4 shows at once w/ the mod. 2 Sat and 2 OTA.

my 622 took a crap on me and they replaced it with a 722 free of charge. i have noticed no differences between the 2 aside from DVR performance seems more smooth on the 722 (and more HDD space i believe?). other then that i dont think its worth spending money to upgrade it. I just got lucky that mine took a crap and the tech only had 722's with him.

The 722k has a 500GB HD, but more important than the size is the time. The 622 can record 30 hours of HD and 200 hours of SD and the 722(k) can record 55 hours of HD and 350 hours of HD.

The OTA module is an additional cost.

You could lower the cost of the tech visit by signing up for the protection plan. It is $6 a month and then your service call would only be $15 instead of $95. If you wish to cancel the protection plan it will cost you $25. Still cheaper than $95.

One last thing to be wary of, I have been told recently that Dish cannot promise a specific receiver only a specific family. The 622/722(k) are all in the same family.

I just replaced my 622 with a 722k free of cost, just had to pay the tech fee, $95. That was worth the money as I need to have my dish re-aligned after a rough winter. I find that the picture quality improved a bit, but sound quality is much better with the 722k compared to my 3+ year old 622.

-Hemant

I was also thinking of upgrading from a 622 to a 722/722K. I was told that all I had to do was pay $15 shipping. No tech visit is required.
Not sure if I'll do it yet or not since it does require a new 2 year commitment.
I was also told the 722 is preferable to the 722K since it includes the OTA like the 622 does and you don't need a separate module. Is that right?
I was thinking of going this route instead of getting the 922 upgrade because I didn't want to pay $95 for a tech visit when no real installation is required. They would just be hooking up the receiver. They were already at my house a couple months ago to do the Eastern Arc upgrade.

I was also thinking of upgrading from a 622 to a 722/722K. I was told that all I had to do was pay $15 shipping. No tech visit is required.
Not sure if I'll do it yet or not since it does require a new 2 year commitment.
I was also told the 722 is preferable to the 722K since it includes the OTA like the 622 does and you don't need a separate module. Is that right?
I was thinking of going this route instead of getting the 922 upgrade because I didn't want to pay $95 for a tech visit when no real installation is required. They would just be hooking up the receiver. They were already at my house a couple months ago to do the Eastern Arc upgrade.

The 722 is the virtually the same receiver as the 622 except for a larger hard drive. It has 1 OTA tuner that can be used for TV1. The 722k does not come with a OTA tuner but if you get an OTA module you add 2 OTA tuners. 1 for TV1 and 1 for TV2. This way you can record four things at once, two OTA channels and two satellite channels.

The 722k

722/722K is a larger hard drive than the 622 so you get more real On-Demand channels as there is more space. The 722 series tend to be more relaible than the 622 but they are also not as old and eventually all DVR receivers will die as the hard drives are really really cheap!
Now the 722k is a different beast than the 622/722, first it needs a slide-in module for OTA which then gives you 2 off-air recording capability (4 total recordings at once is pretty awesome). But since its release I have never been asked for one. Basically Dish saved some change by eliminating an unused tuner. Secondly the K series uses 2-way remote capabilities which save info such as your TV code in the box and your timer info in the remote in case either one fails. It's a funny thing which makes the box act goofy until it is co-ordinated, but its a feature. Thirdly and this is the real difference, the 722k can be equipped with a Sling module which will enable all the features of the 922. Now I have seen it at CES but we will see if we ever see this thing for real. Oh and forthly(sp?) the box is Black and it looks a whole lot better in a rack. Good luck

I got a 622, I just added a external HDD to it and it works fine. Dish no longer sends out 622's just FYI. If you get a duo DVR HD receiver its going to be a 722 or 722k depending on what the tech feels like pulling off the truck. I know on mine I have a mix of them so it depends on what I grab first.

I got my 622 hooked up via optical sound to sound receiver and HDMI to TV ...works find and everything sounds and looks great.

I got a 622, I just added a external HDD to it and it works fine. Dish no longer sends out 622's just FYI. If you get a duo DVR HD receiver its going to be a 722 or 722k depending on what the tech feels like pulling off the truck. I know on mine I have a mix of them so it depends on what I grab first.

I got my 622 hooked up via optical sound to sound receiver and HDMI to TV ...works find and everything sounds and looks great.

I still have 622 receivers. However, I don't use them until I run out of 722(k) receivers.

I contacted Dish concerning upgrading my 622 receiver, I was told that I qualified for a 722K receiver with a 24 month commitment. When the receiver arrived it was a 622, I called Dish and they indicated that they would correct the error and send a 722K, when that receiver arrived it was another 622. Now I am told they cannot guarantee a 722k when you request an upgrade, it whats every in stock because the 622 and 722k are the same, which they are not. This has been the worst customer service I have experienced. Unfortunately I think it's time to leave Dish for AT&T.

Good thread. I would like to upgrade myself.
I currently have a ViP622. I would like to upgrade to a DVR that features a larger HDD
and that has a faster and smoother running software/operating system.

I don't like the fact that you can not record OTA programming on the new DVRs (722 and 922) That's not an upgrade, that's a downgrade. I would rather have an extra tuner than 25+ hours of extra HD recording space.

I currently have a ViP622. I would like to upgrade to a DVR that features a larger HDD

I don't like the fact that you can not record OTA programming on the new DVRs (722 and 922) That's not an upgrade, that's a downgrade. I would rather have an extra tuner than 25+ hours of extra HD recording space.

Just get a external HDD and pay the 39$ fee to activate it. Much better than signing on with another 2 year contract and junk fee's.

I don't know about the 922 but you can record OTA programming on the 722 DVR.

Mark

Good thread. <snip>

Wow! Is that right? Why on earth would they design it that way? I seem to recall reading that the OTA program listings gets incorporated into the program guide for the receiver when you add the OTA module. Is that correct? :confused:

Wow! Is that right? Why on earth would they design it that way? I seem to recall reading that the OTA program listings gets incorporated into the program guide for the receiver when you add the OTA module. Is that correct? :confused:

You can record OTA if you buy the modulator. The unit ships without one.

I think the 722K is the best receiver Dish has ever made. It only has one bug that annoys me, but I found a work around for it.

It is a stable box and recording 4 things at once is great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)