622 Warning 866

like2watch

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
After many months of using a 500GB external drive with my one and only 622, a couple of days ago the 866 Warning appeared and I can no longer access the drive. This message says:

"The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another DISH Network receiver. USB storage devices may only be used with one receiver at a time. To use this device with this receiver, all existing archived events will be deleted. Do you want to delete all existing events?"

I noticed in the big thread on EHD bugs that some people are suddenly able to move the EHD between systems without the prior 3 times limitation and that the Household Key is no longer all zeros. I wonder if there's a relationship?

I also remember getting a poorly worded warning (760) which also indicated that all events would be deleted but they were not.

Does anyone know whether answering Yes to the 866 warning will actually delete? I've got 60 - 70 recordings I don't want to lose.

Thanks.

Try unplugging the receiver for a minute and replugging it back in. It wouldn't hurt to do the same to the external receiver too. It should work again. IF not then call DISH and ask one of the techs.

Where do you find the Household Key numbers? Also does this mean I can actually move the EHD between my 2 622s at will without a problem.\?

Try unplugging the receiver for a minute and replugging it back in. It wouldn't hurt to do the same to the external receiver too. It should work again. IF not then call DISH and ask one of the techs.

Did that - same. Called Dish twice. First time Edward said he'd escalate to a higher level tech. The higher level tech accidentally, or on purpose, hung up. Called back. Got a woman who tried to help but at the end was useless. I may have to keep trying.

Where do you find the Household Key numbers? Also does this mean I can actually move the EHD between my 2 622s at will without a problem.\?

Menu/Diagnostics then Counters. Use the Page Down/Up key to scroll down to see the key.

Go to the end of the External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread and go back a few days.

I also noticed another poster in a similar situation except that he can access the drive but gets a blank screen when trying to view a recording. Similar in that it started three days ago. Other posters indicate that there does not seem to have been a recent software change.

After many months of using a 500GB external drive with my one and only 622, a couple of days ago the 866 Warning appeared and I can no longer access the drive. This message says:

"The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another DISH Network receiver. USB storage devices may only be used with one receiver at a time. To use this device with this receiver, all existing archived events will be deleted. Do you want to delete all existing events?"

I just posted in the other thread about this exact same problem. I have 3 drives and it only happened on one of them. They all worked fine yesterday after the initial prompt to make them work with the receiver. Now today 2 of them are fine but the third give me this "will delete all archived programs" warning.

For the drive that is not working, it just so happens I transferred some programs to it later last night. Not sure if that is coincidence or not.

And this is all with just one 622.

Did that - same. Called Dish twice. First time Edward said he'd escalate to a higher level tech. The higher level tech accidentally, or on purpose, hung up. Called back. Got a woman who tried to help but at the end was useless. I may have to keep trying.

Tried the live chat on Dish's tech portal. Got escalated to (05-SWAT) Matt G. He was no help either. Didn't know about Household Key or Status Error in the Counters (status error value is 0x00:9:Connect). Sent email asking if possible to speak with someone who knows something about Diagnostics.

Also did a "Send Status" which is accessed under the Analysis button of Diagnostics. It appeared to send something. I wonder if anything will come of it?

Good luck, loss of your recordings should not be an acceptable resolution of this "issue" - keep the fire lit under them till you get somebody that can help.

This thread has me afraid to touch my external drives. Last time I used one of them several days ago, it told me it had been moved which obviously it hadn't. The tv's broken (part on order) so I won't be touching it for a few days.

When I had the problem last night there was no one available for online chat so I sent an email, with a link to this thread. I got a response this morning saying the issue has been escalated and they asked for some info about my 622 and drive. I'll keep everyone posted if I hear something back.

Is it odd that my Counters list the previous software version as L449 on both my 622s? Me thinks so...as my (our) current version is L449. Are we really still on L449? IIRC, Counters used to list the previous SW version as the actual previous SW version, not as the current version...

Also, my Household keys under Counters are identical btwn my two 622s except for the last digit. Havent seen these error warnings, and keep one ext hd on each 622 (dont swap/move them).

Is it odd that my Counters list the previous software version as L449 on both my 622s? Me thinks so...as my (our) current version is L449. Are we really still on L449? IIRC, Counters used to list the previous SW version as the actual previous SW version, not as the current version...

Also, my Household keys under Counters are identical btwn my two 622s except for the last digit. Havent seen these error warnings, and keep one ext hd on each 622 (dont swap/move them).

As far as the l449 being reported as the previous software, there was a thread several weeks back that I started on it. Lots of people reported their machines in a download install loop for L449. They made a mistake on the identifying info associated with the download, so it kept looking like an update existed even after it installed L449.

It doesn't sound good that the keys are different between your two 622's. Some others are reporting they are the same on theirs. So far mine are still zeroes.

Good luck, loss of your recordings should not be an acceptable resolution of this "issue" - keep the fire lit under them till you get somebody that can help.
quote]
I did get a reponse to my email and provided input for engineering. I had already told them that erasing my recording was unacceptable.

This morning I awoke with a theory which I emailed but have gotten no reaction.

Since I have only the single 622 and was not generally aware of the 3 move situation (I am now), I think that I ignored the first few warnings which may have offered to reactivate, not reading them fully, assuming that it was a transient problem.

I suspect that the code was changed a while back to use the Household Key if it was non-zero, instead of the EHD identifier, and that the problem happened when the Household Key was changed to a value. If I am correct them someone at DISH, with the proper knowledge, could temporarily change my Household Key back to zero, letting me know. I should then be able to access my EHD again. Afterward the Household Key could be restored and when I got the reactivate message I would respond with a Yes and all would be well.

I did get a reponse to my email and provided input for engineering. I had already told them that erasing my recording was unacceptable.

This morning I awoke with a theory which I emailed but have gotten no reaction.

Since I have only the single 622 and was not generally aware of the 3 move situation (I am now), I think that I ignored the first few warnings which may have offered to reactivate, not reading them fully, assuming that it was a transient problem.

I suspect that the code was changed a while back to use the Household Key if it was non-zero, instead of the EHD identifier, and that the problem happened when the Household Key was changed to a value. If I am correct them someone at DISH, with the proper knowledge, could temporarily change my Household Key back to zero, letting me know. I should then be able to access my EHD again. Afterward the Household Key could be restored and when I got the reactivate message I would respond with a Yes and all would be well.

Finally got a reply:

We have not been informed that the limitation has been removed. They did talk about this issue on the last Tech Chat broadcast and stated they were looking into resolving the issue soon with a software upgrade. I’m sorry but I don’t have any information on what prevents the drive from being moved from receiver to receiver or the Household Key. I have a model 625 DVR and I did look the other night on my receiver and I had a listing for that. The 625 does not have the external hard drive feature.
This seems to be more of an issue with that brand of external hard drive which the engineering department is working to resolve. I appreciate your patience and hopefully we will have a resolution soon.

I received the same 866 warning last night under the same circumstances, only one 622 and one external hard drive. At the same time all my locks were removed and all favorite lists were defaulted to all programing except HD.

I have not had time to call tech support yet but am very concerned about losing my recordings. Hopefully this can be resolved!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts