622 with SD (480i) TV1 set ??

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I currently do not own an HD set, but anticipate getting one around the end of 2007.

However, I'm thinking about replacing my 501 with a 622 some time before then. The idea would be to have the HD DVR capability in advance (rather than, say, getting a 625 and then having to replace it only a few months later with a 622).

Also, I see a possible advantage to a 622 in terms of better PQ on my Wega, due to a) Component Outputs, and b) better 480i PQ on HD channels that have more bandwidth.

So, a few questions:
1 - Does the 622 indeed work with an SD 480i TV on TV1 ?
2 - Will the 622 tune to HD channels with an SD TV and convert them to 480i ?
3 - Assuming both of the above are "Yes", is the SD PQ on the HD channels better than the equivalent SD channel ? (I often subscribe to HBO, so that would be a good example)
4 - If I lease a 622 for $199, will I be charged a $6 HD enabling fee if I don't subscribe to the $20 HD package AND I also don't use the OTA digital tuner (no digital OTA here) ?
5 - Without the $6 HD enabling fee, would HBO-HD and any satellite HD locals fail to be available in my Guide (and thus tuned) ?

Thanks for any insights on these topics ! :hatsoff:

Last edited:
I currently do not own an HD set, but anticipate getting one around the end of 2007.

However, I'm thinking about replacing my 501 with a 622 some time before then. The idea would be to have the HD DVR capability in advance (rather than, say, getting a 625 and then having to replace it only a few months later with a 622).

Also, I see a possible advantage to a 622 in terms of better PQ on my Wega, due to a) Component Outputs, and b) better 480i PQ on HD channels that have more bandwidth.

So, a few questions:
1 - Does the 622 indeed work with an SD 480i TV on TV1 ?
2 - Will the 622 tune to HD channels with an SD TV and convert them to 480i ?
3 - Assuming both of the above are "Yes", is the SD PQ on the HD channels better than the equivalent SD channel ? (I often subscribe to HBO, so that would be a good example)
4 - If I lease a 622 for $199, will I be charged a $6 HD enabling fee if I don't subscribe to the $20 HD package AND I also don't use the OTA digital tuner (no digital OTA here) ?
5 - Without the $6 HD enabling fee, would HBO-HD and any local HD fail to be available in my Guide (and thus tuned) ?

Thanks for any insights on these topics ! :hatsoff:

1. Yes.
2. Yes, if you sub to HD or tune in OTA HD.
3. This depends upon many factors. Qualified yes.
4. Yes.
5. If you don't subscribe to the HBO premium channel, you won't get it. If you sub to the SD HBO, I don't think you'll get the HD version unless you sub to HD. Others may know better. You do not need to sub to locals to put the local OTA digital channels into your guide. The EPG would not list any programming info. You could still record by setting a manual timer. I do. But I gather you have no local digital OTA, so if you do not subscribe to LiLs, you won't see them in your EPG.

I gather your 501 is about to bite the dust. If not, I'd recommend hanging on to it, as the least cost option. If you move on to a ViP622, there is a ViP622-1 model coming out that you might as well start off with- but we don't know yet when it will be available.

You could sign up for the DHPP program, and when your 501 finally bites the dust, Dish will replace it with an equivalent.

In my question 5, I was referring to any LIL satellite HD (if E* added the DMA's HD locals to the LIL package). There is no digital OTA here due to the terrain. (I've edited the original post to clarify.)

PS I am not experiencing problems with the 501, it would be more a case of adding another tuner, increased HD space, etc. And thanks for your reply.

If you sub to HBO then the HD version is included as part of the subscription. You have to keep the hd package in order to lease the 622. Yes if HD LIL is added for your area then you automatically get the hd versions if you are subscribed to the sd versions.

Okay, two further things:

1 - Has anyone reading this actually used a 622 with an SD TV set (480i) on TV1 ?
2 - So does the "Dish'n It Up" $199 Lease of the 622 require subscription to the $20 HD package, or can I lease it and just pay the $6 HD enabling fee ?

I haven't used my 622 on a non-HDTV, but the unit has the following outputs for TV1:

Composite
S-Video
Component
HDMI

There's NO reason to think it wouldn't work. You can also set the output resolution which only applies to TV1 (I believe) to 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

I think the "HD Enabling Fee" is a legacy fee that applies to pre-MPEG4 receivers. For example, it allows customers with an 811 to not have to subscribe to a full-blown package. With a 622, I don't think you have this option.

If you sub to HBO then the HD version is included as part of the subscription. You have to keep the hd package in order to lease the 622. Yes if HD LIL is added for your area then you automatically get the hd versions if you are subscribed to the sd versions.

Wait a little while, and they are offering the 622 for free. See threads on the CES 2007 threads.

The 622 works very good with a SD TV on TV1, especially if your SD TV has good resolution and you connect it with a component cable or s-video cable.

If you lease a 622 you MUST also subscribe to HD - NO OPTIONS.

Go to dishnetwork.com and when you explore that site you can find answers to alot of your questions. If you click on the Products and Services tab you will see another tab for manuals. You can download a copy of the 622 manual and read about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)