625 and DP LNB question

stealth7g

Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Hello everyone one,

I have been running a Dish Pro 500 for a while now and decided change my receiver to a 625.

I have two coax cables coming off my DP Twin LNB. On one cable, I get absolutely no signal. The other cable peaks the meter.

I connected the single coax (with signal) to the Dish Pro LNB and terminated the other end to the splitter behind the 625 receiver.

I then entered the menu and ran a check switch. After exiting from the menu, I got picture on the TV and thought everything was fine; however, once I changed the channel, I got an error stating that there was a problem with the switch and I must run a check switch again.

To jump to the point, I am only able to view a few channels. Every time I change the channel, I get the check switch message.

So I call a local tech who tells me that I need a Dish Pro Plus LNB to get my 625 receiver to operate properly. Of course he has one in stock and was eager to sell it. I have no problem making this purchase if it will solve my problem, but I would like a second opinion (Yours).

Does the 625 require a Dish Pro Plus LNB, or could I just have a bad Dish Pro LNB?

Any input would be appreciated.

You can do two things here.

Unhook that splitter looking thing behind the reciever... that is called a seperator. and take your sat line that goes to the dish and plug that into 1 of the two ports behind the reciever where the seperator was hooked up.

Run a 2nd line from the dish and plug the other end into the other port behind the reciever.

RUn a checkswitch

-OR-

Get a DPP LNB leave everything else as is, run a checkswitch.

Thanks RC,

I'll remove the seperator and try it that way.

So the seperator requires the DPP LNB?

Because I get no signal off one side of my DP LNB, any chance it needs to be replaced? Should I receive signal from both sides of my DP LNB?

Yes the seperator requires the DPP LNB.

You should get signal off both sides of the LNB, but I have no idea of what kind of test equipment your using, nor how your doing it.

I'd just run a test piece of coax if you got one handy through the window if you have too, to just try it before you go off buying more things.

I removed the separator as you suggested and now I get picture on all channels. No more "Need to check switch" messages.

I've not gone back on the roof since, but I am sure I had no signal on one side of the LNB. I used a little analog meter. Maybe it was the small patch cord attached to that side that is bad. One day this week, I'll replace the patch cable on the no-signal side for further testing.

At least I have TV now. I am only able to use one tuner in the receiver, but you've provided me with the answers I needed.

Thanks again for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)