625 DVR Phone Line Fee

budhead151

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I want to get rid of my home phone. According to the CSR there is no way to avoid the 5$ fee. I don't qualify for the DVR advantage because the networks are not available where I live. There is no local CBS in Utica N.Y. Is the someone higher up I can complain to? I have been with Dish for almost 12 years. Also why can't I at least get Syracuse CBS through Dish, it has been on the Cable system since the mid 60's?

No one you talk to can do anything for you. The rules as far as locals are controlled by the FCC and not Dish, they can be fined if they give you channels you are not entitled to. The dual tuner fee (phone line) is outlined on Dish Network's website, just search for fees, you will not get that waived either, no matter how long you have been a customer. You may be able to offset paying that fee by getting discounts from the programing packages. That is the best you can expect.

I want to get rid of my home phone. According to the CSR there is no way to avoid the 5$ fee. I don't qualify for the DVR advantage because the networks are not available where I live. There is no local CBS in Utica N.Y. Is the someone higher up I can complain to? I have been with Dish for almost 12 years. Also why can't I at least get Syracuse CBS through Dish, it has been on the Cable system since the mid 60's?

Well, as far as locals go, Dish's hands are tied-up by the courts. Most of us understand what you're saying about the cable company carrying "other locals", but there is nothing that neither you nor Dish can do about it presently. However, there is a thread somewhere on this MB from a few weeks ago about Dish and DirecTV teaming-up to try to get the laws changed concerning locals.

I think you should recontact Dish and push this "upstairs" to see if maybe you can get some sorta "exemption" regarding the phone fee and the DVR advantage since locals are not provided for your area.

How are you connecting to the net, cable modem? If so, connect the dish through ethernet instead of the phone line. That's what I do because I haven't had a home phone in 14 years or so since cell phones. Also, if you do have cable modem, you can split the line to your TV and get basic cable for free. That may take care of your locals problem?

How are you connecting to the net, cable modem? If so, connect the dish through ethernet instead of the phone line. That's what I do because I haven't had a home phone in 14 years or so since cell phones. Also, if you do have cable modem, you can split the line to your TV and get basic cable for free. That may take care of your locals problem?

Look at the receiver model he mentioned. 625. It's not going to hook up to Ethernet.

Thanks for the reply but where is " upstairs"

You can try e-mailing "ceo@dishnetwork.com".

A lot of people like to abuse that e-mail option, but IMO, your situation is somewhat out of the norm since most of us can receive local channels.

Good luck.

It is possible to get the phone line fee waived. I did it, by contacting ceo@dishnetwork.com. I said I wanted to stay with Dish, but what I ended up doing was making a big spreadsheet detailing how much cheaper it would be for me to switch to Comcast. It still took a bit of arguing to get them to remove the phone line fee, but they eventually did.

There was more going on with this than just me trying to get rid of the phone line fee, but it was one of my complaints that got resolved this way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts