625 SD box with OTA HD

Luken8r

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Is there a way to record HD OTA programming with a 625 DVR box? I just had an install tech come out to put a new HD DVR box but he tells me that theres a tree in the way, so I may be SOL. I would like to record SOME HD channels :/

No.

The 625 is not HD capable. It was never designed to receive OTA or any other HD. In fact, I'm not sure it's even got an OTA tuner in it- have to check the manual. It is also an MPEG-2 only box; all HD has been (or is about to be) moved to MPEG-4 only (for Dish).

I'm sure they'd be happy to upgrade you to a ViP series receiver and sell you HD satellite service also. Tree in the way? Only one possible location for an antenna? Doubtful.

Last edited:
There are a ton of trees in my general area. The dish for the SD channels is on a 15' tripod on the roof to get over several of them and shoot down the street, really down the only alley of clearish sky in that area. What satellites are for HD?

Main Dish satellites (mostly SD) are at 110 and 119. Prime HD satellite is at 129. Also there is Eastern Arc at 61.5/72/77. Depending upon where you are, you might find those at a higher elevation than the main Dish sats.

61.5 is the sat I and many others use for most of our HD. 129 has problems and is to be replaced around the end of this year. 61.5 & 129 are near duplicates of each other, as far as programming goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)