6500K light behind tv?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
After calibration, what do you guys think. Ive seen this mentioned more than once as a recommendation, and lionav sells one. When Gregg calibrates my tv he'll even help pick the spot for it.

Any input on the usefulness.

I keep a couple of small lights behind mine. Cheapo way out. I've considered buying one- but the "ambilight" kinda stopped me, since it didn't look very good.

hi guys
If your display is at least "somewhat" calibrated you want a D65 colored light source behind the display. This is the SMPTE spec.
Scott, what displays do you own? I think your way past due for a servicing ? LMK via email - gregg@lionav.com

BTW, you can buy the light on my site - Lion Audio/Video Consultants Welcomes You! Home theater Calibration Video Audio Display ISF Imaging science foundation Training Education Consultation Setup Video Essentials Digital video essentials Avia Extron Ideal lume Cinemaquest Cable Sencore C3 - the manufacturer's price increased on June 26th but I have not yet adjusted my site's pricing. Order now before I get around to increasing it!! (it is going to be a $10 bump).

Thanks for the input. Ill look into ordering before Gregg makes it.

One question:

I generally have always watched movies in pitch black, would I need to leave this light on for dvd/blu-ray?

thats when you want to use it.

Pitch black should only be reserved for a front projector system that is giving off 12-16 fL of light.

Gotcha. Funny, always thought watching in the dark is best. Gregg, since we are looking at Sept now, do you think its worthwhile to setup before calibration?(tv is currently setup with DVE bluray and AVS user input)

Gotcha. Funny, always thought watching in the dark is best. Gregg, since we are looking at Sept now, do you think its worthwhile to setup before calibration?(tv is currently setup with DVE bluray and AVS user input)

By adding the bias lighting, you tend to keep your iris locked at a lower bounds at the brightness of the bias lighting. This combats eye fatigue during extended viewing.

I have an FPTV in my main system, and there's no bias light in use then :)

Best,

As an update, I experimented first. I went to lowes and bought a small 18" flour. light along with a 6500k bulb. Its only a 80 color rating (or whatever the hell its called) so its not as good as the 95-97 the good lights run.

BUT, it did give me a good idea of what to expect and my wife and I have actually grown to enjoy it during our movie watching. I cant stand to watch movies in the pitch black anymore. The light only cost $15, and a few guys on avs tried it and liked it too.

I figure after Gregg calibrates my tv, Im going to buy one of the better lights from LionAv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)