7.1 rec. help please!!!

smith12

Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
What is the best receiver in the $300 to $400 dollar price range. I have the 7.1 yambeka surround speakers. And I do need HDMI switching. Thanks!!!!

Quick question about picking out a receiver. Would you notice that much of a difference between a receiver that has 85W per channel output compared to 110W? My current has 110W per channel and I am looking at the recommendations that were made above. I don't want to loss sound quality but there are not many receivers in my current price range that support 100+W.

It all depends on the room size and type IMHO, maybe even the sensitivity rating of the speakers to be used. Chance are, no, you will not notice much if at all.

I was looking at getting a new 7.1 A/V receiver that had HDMI switching, but with our new TV that has 2 HDMI inputs, there's no need for it now.

I'm looking at one that has component switching, though that won't be neccessary either, but it is cheaper.

...BUT, think ahead, you never know what might come down the pike that may then push you to then have that A/V receiver based HDMI switching. Don't buy twice, buy smart once.

OK really stupid question. Is there a possibility of just having HDMI but not HDMI switching?

I don't think so; isn't the whole point of multi-in, say 3 component or 3 HDMI and one monitor out; the entire point? I have never seen it, but my guess would be no. ?

Does the Onkyo TX-SR604 just have HDMI pass though or will the receiver play audio through the HDMI. The one thing I found with the Pioneer is that it only has HDMI pass through. If you want to have it play the audio you have to have another connection.

Switching doesn't nexesarily need to be done in the receiver. I've been using an Audio Authority component auto-switch for years now and I'm very happy with it. When I turn on a component, it automatically switches to that component. And if I upgrade my receiver, I don't need to worry about finding one with the correct number of the correct type of switching.

I am partial to Yamaha as I have owned the Yamaha RX-Z9 for a long, long while now, but neither of these is more than 1% different, so I don't think you can go wrong either way. Here are some of the differing points that might make me lean toward the Yamaha:

Cost: $370 vs $500 - Onkyo (so if $130 is worth more than the below added features....)

Phono: I still have a great turntable and some old, irreplaceable vinyl; the Onkyo has no phono input.

Component Video Bandwidth: 60MHz vs 50MHz Yamaha is 10MHz higher

Preamp Outputs: 10 vs 3 - Yamaha (if you ever want to up the power).

Main Speaker Output Pairs: 2 vs 1 - Yamaha (multi-zone) I love this feature, I run #2 in-attic out to my deck to listen while we BBQ.

THD: 0.08% vs 0.06% - Yamaha (possible negligible amount)

Last edited:
Well I have decided to upgrade to the Onkyo TX-SR604. If all goes will i will be departing with my 1 1/2 year old Pioneer 7.1 receiver. The only part that I will probably miss with the Onkyo is the THX support. I sure liked my Pioneer but it I ran out of digital inputs to use. If the Onkyo is what it appears to be, I will be posting the receiver in the classifieds here within the next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)