Help Buying New Home Theater System

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DustNavy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
ID
Hey all, so I am in the market for a new 5.1 home theater surround sound system. FWIW, this will be hooked up to my 60" 4k 3D Samsung TV. My budget has been $2000 or less. I have picked out a receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant, and definitely have my mind made up on that. It's the speakers hooked up to the system that I am struggling with. I also know that the purchase will be from Best Buy for personal reasons. I was at my local Best Buy's Magnolia section today to get a chance of hearing some of the candidates today. Now going into today, here is what I was thinking:

FOR SURE Receiver - Marantz SR5010: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/marantz...lack/4876064.p?id=1219644185166&skuId=4876064

Favorite Speakers - Bose Acoustimass 10: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-ac...lack/3533235.p?id=1219586875547&skuId=3533235
1st Runner up - Definitive Technology PC600: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/definit...lack/8206201.p?id=1177718655876&skuId=8206201
2nd Runner up - Bose Acoustimass 6: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-ac...lack/4368058.p?id=1219629022729&skuId=4368058

Now once meeting up with Magnolia guys at Best Buy, the first thing mentioned was that they think the receiver I am wanting is overkill for the speakers listed above. I am definitely wanting a sleeker, wall-mountable system. No super large speakers. I told him that I was having a hard time researching speakers, but that I have a very open mind to the different options available. We went into one of the mix and match rooms to hear the different gear.

They unfortunately don't carry Bose products in the Magnolia rooms due to restrictions from the manufacturer, but he did have the Definitive Technology speakers for me to hear. He expressed the same concern that I had in regards to that system, which is that the sub woofer included is known to commonly blow under normal use. The system didn't sound bad. Again, I went in with an open mind, so I decided to give other options a listen, and there is a certain combination he pushed that was cinema-quality in my opinion, and just amazing.

Favorite Speakers after Magnolia Visit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bowers-...lack/4841615.p?id=1218541223434&skuId=4841615
^^^^He suggested a set-up buying 5 of those speakers for all 5 channels with the sub woofer that I'll have listed below. Total price for 5 of these speakers is $1250

Subwoofer after Magnolia Visit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/martinl...lack/9392301.p?id=1218097974479&skuId=9392301
^^^^This sounded amazing with the speakers listed above, and together everything sounded as close to cinema you could get without having giant speakers.

Another advantage to what is listed above is that since the receiver I am getting is a 7.1 receiver, the option exists with this system to easily upgrade it to that system in the future without replacing the existing speakers, just adding to them. The only problem with this is that the total cost for the system ends up at an astonishing $2650! Originally when I went in, I was looking at favorites that totaled $1900. No surprise, up-selling happens everywhere, but after trying out this system in person, it's incredible. It's unfortunate I didn't get to see how the Bose system stacks up, but from what I read online before the visit, it and the Definitive Technology set are of similar quality (minus the sub woofer issues).

Before I pull the trigger on a new system mid next month, what do you guys think is best with what I am currently looking at here? Is there anything you would recommend to get me closer to my $2000 goal without losing out on quality? I am open to any changes, and preferably would like it to be something I can try out at the Magnolia section before I buy. Remember, it's gotta be at Best Buy! Thank you!

The B&W aren't bad speakers, just too expensive for what you are actually getting. Both Polk and Pioneer offer good speakers for the price but they don't have the WAF ( Wife Acceptance Factor ) of the B&W.

I've wrapped myself in DefTech speakers ( since I don't have a wife ), so I'm biased there but there is a lot you can do with the ProCinema set as far as upgrading goes. Too bad these come with a lack-luster sub. I'd probably bundle 2x ProMonitor 1000, ProCenter 2000, and a pair of ProMonitor 800 with the M-L sub. 2x PM 800, PC1000, and 2x PM600 for smaller room. I think the PM600 is just too small a set for the average living room. Same with anything Bose. There is a reason Bose won't let their speakers anywhere near other speakers in Best Buy. DefTech's Studio Monitor line would be a step up from the PM series. Plenty of folks doing 2xSM55 + SM65 + 2xSM45. The Martin-Logan sub isn't bad but something from SVS/PSA/HTS for the same money spent would be a better option. Depending on your room size, a pair of smaller 10" subs would be a better option than a single, larger sub.

I have pictures of my setup in the " Home Theater " sub-forum if you're interested in what I have.

The problem with speaker shopping is that the sound is more a personal decision than one that can be measured and charted like with a TV picture.

If your primary use of the system is to watch TV I would work on the sub first, then pick speakers that work well with it that you like and fit your budget. When my brain is being overloaded with visual stimulation, I find it hard to really to notice subtle sound variations between speakers, but a solid sub really make me feel the scene.

If the primary use of your system is to sit back with your eyes closed concentrating on music from high quality sources then the left right speakers would make the most difference. There is a lot of differences between speakers when you really listen carefully, picking out which one sounds best to you can really take a while.

That all being said I have 3 sets of B&W speakers... It is probably the case that they produce the sound I am used to so I naturally gravitate towards them when comparing to other speaker brands. But, I only have one B&W sub, I have other brands for the other systems (one velodyne and one M&K (old M&K before they were bought out)). I have a 600 series, an 800 series and an in wall/ceiling system.

The B&W aren't bad speakers, just too expensive for what you are actually getting. Both Polk and Pioneer offer good speakers for the price but they don't have the WAF ( Wife Acceptance Factor ) of the B&W.

I've wrapped myself in DefTech speakers ( since I don't have a wife ), so I'm biased there but there is a lot you can do with the ProCinema set as far as upgrading goes. Too bad these come with a lack-luster sub. I'd probably bundle 2x ProMonitor 1000, ProCenter 2000, and a pair of ProMonitor 800 with the M-L sub. 2x PM 800, PC1000, and 2x PM600 for smaller room. I think the PM600 is just too small a set for the average living room. Same with anything Bose. There is a reason Bose won't let their speakers anywhere near other speakers in Best Buy. DefTech's Studio Monitor line would be a step up from the PM series. Plenty of folks doing 2xSM55 + SM65 + 2xSM45. The Martin-Logan sub isn't bad but something from SVS/PSA/HTS for the same money spent would be a better option. Depending on your room size, a pair of smaller 10" subs would be a better option than a single, larger sub.

I have pictures of my setup in the " Home Theater " sub-forum if you're interested in what I have.
I've looked into the DefTech speakers mentioned (ProMonitor 1000 for front right/left, and ProMonitor 800 for surround). Best Buy unfortunately doesn't offer the ProCenter 2000, it's only available through a seller in their marketplace. They do have the ProCenter 1000, do you think it's a suitable substitute. As far a specs are concerned, these speakers you have mentioned save me money and blow the B&W's away from a spec and price standpoint. I'm far from an expert in audio specs, but I am excited to go back to magnolia and listen in on this setup.

I am having second thoughts on the subwoofer they showed me yesterday, as it's specs look painfully bad compared to competitors in the same price range, even though it did sound great in store. So I'm seeing what other options are available there as well.

Hey all, so I am in the market for a new 5.1 home theater surround sound system. FWIW, this will be hooked up to my 60" 4k 3D Samsung TV. My budget has been $2000 or less. I have picked out a receiver that is HDCP 2.2 compliant, and definitely have my mind made up on that. It's the speakers hooked up to the system that I am struggling with. I also know that the purchase will be from Best Buy for personal reasons. I was at my local Best Buy's Magnolia section today to get a chance of hearing some of the candidates today. Now going into today, here is what I was thinking:

FOR SURE Receiver - Marantz SR5010: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/marantz...lack/4876064.p?id=1219644185166&skuId=4876064

That Receiver does not pass High Dynamic Range (HDR) but I also don't know if your TV will take HDR.

I've looked into the DefTech speakers mentioned (ProMonitor 1000 for front right/left, and ProMonitor 800 for surround). Best Buy unfortunately doesn't offer the ProCenter 2000, it's only available through a seller in their marketplace. They do have the ProCenter 1000, do you think it's a suitable substitute. As far a specs are concerned, these speakers you have mentioned save me money and blow the B&W's away from a spec and price standpoint. I'm far from an expert in audio specs, but I am excited to go back to magnolia and listen in on this setup.

I am having second thoughts on the subwoofer they showed me yesterday, as it's specs look painfully bad compared to competitors in the same price range, even though it did sound great in store. So I'm seeing what other options are available there as well.

You'll probably be fine with the PC1000. I'm just a firm believer of driver-matching the front three speakers. Another option that is the same $350 is the older DefTech CLR2002 center channel. Downside is that it is the older design with the side caps to match the top caps of DefTech's older tower speakers. It isn't exactly small either. For aesthetic reasons, I'd generally pair the CLR2002 with the older Studio Monitor 350 speakers. Newegg usually will have a blow-out on these at $150 to $200 a PAIR.

DefTech is known to fudge their specs a bit, especially on frequency response/power output on their sub-woofers.

Take a look at Energy as well. I'd put this brand at about the same level as Pioneer or Polk. They aren't bad for the money but are a little light on power handling. Most receivers can't output more than 100 watts/channel anyway.

Update: after more research, I'm biting the bullet and going away from Best Buy for the center channel and subwoofer. Looking at the ProCenter 2000 and SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer. For the same price, there are much better subwoofers away from Best Buy. Also, thinking I'll do 4promontitor 1000, instead of 2 with 2 800's

So, I'm actually going to go with the SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer, it's better for movies that the SB. I am also weighing my options of doing the ProMonitor1000/ProCenter2000 setup with possibly looking at doing an SVS Prime system with 4 bookshelves and a center.

I honestly think you will be happier with the SVS setup. I feel it is better sound. Note that the center is going to give a fuller range than the satellites. That's probably OK since most of the sound comes from the center. However, you will notice some degree of dropoff on sounds that pan across the front soundstage.

Got my Marantz SR5010 on Wednesday! Ordered the SVS Prime bookshelf bundle that included the center, 2 bookshelves, and 2 satellites. Also got the SVS PB-1000 sub. That should all be here by Tuesday

Got my Marantz SR5010 on Wednesday! Ordered the SVS Prime bookshelf bundle that included the center, 2 bookshelves, and 2 satellites. Also got the SVS PB-1000 sub. That should all be here by Tuesday

Yes. That is a good choice if you're not going with anything at Best Buy. Get it all hooked up and give us your impressions. Good thing about that is that you can always get a pair of their towers later on and move the bookshelf speakers to surround duty.

Yes. That is a good choice if you're not going with anything at Best Buy. Get it all hooked up and give us your impressions. Good thing about that is that you can always get a pair of their towers later on and move the bookshelf speakers to surround duty.
Only got a couple days with them, but I'm loving them so far! I do like the flexibility offered in a 7.1 upgrade. I thought about that very tower idea, or 2 more bookshelves, or possibly just 2 more satellites. It's something we'll look at depending on the room after we move sometime late this year to mid next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)