70 New HD Channel CSR Rumor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
I just got off the phone with Directv. As we concluded my sign up, the CSR said, "Those 70 New HD channels will be firing up for the consumer by the end of July!!!!"

Again CSR INFO, so beware! That would be fast, if it did indeed happen.
:hungry:

If they could have them up by the end of July, they should be up now. They can't, the bandwidth isn't there yet.

There are papers on file with the FCC (and were posted on the site about 2 weeks ago), where DirecTV requested permission to test the new Sat until it moves into its GEO station on or about September 15th.

For them to broadcast commercially beore then, they would have to apply for additional permission again. And they haven't.

I just signed back up with D* ( last week) and I was told it would be more like the end of the year before we have more HD channels.

No they are aiming for September. :)

I just talked with them last weeks and all is a go for September still.

So Scott, if Directv is really going live with all those hd channels in September what is DISH going to do to counter it this year? I know they say 6 or 7 more hd channels will be launched before the end of the year and then a new mpeg 4 sat service will be launched by early next year or spring of next year, but that seems to give Directv the edge in Hd by this fall. I thought Charlie said that DISH would be second to none in hd channels? Is this the real reason why you wanted to have Directv installed as well as DISH, that you already had ,because you know that they really will have more hd than anyone by this September ?

It's pretty much a given that DirecTV will have more HD then anyone come this fall (assuming D10 has a safe launch of course).

I would expect DirecTV to maintain that lead for 6 months or so.
Dish doesn't have the capacity to match (yet, we'll see how their new MPEG4 only system gets them more capacity).
Comcast and Time Warner are still testing their Switched Video solutions.
FIOS I guess could match right away but FIOS isn't this all unlimited bandwidth that many people think.

DirecTV also has D11 going up early next year to continue the expansion.

So at worst if Dish can match them as well as cable, they will *all* have 100+ HD channels and there will only be slight differences here and there (such as no NFL Network on TW or DirecTV having Sunday Ticket, things like that).

This is all good for us.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to whether Directv will contact and upgrade for free, the equipment for those who do not have mpeg 4 hardware or whatever hardware is needed. Current HD receiver is a Sammy TS-360 with small oval dish. I asked a CSR and her exact response, "Uh, I think so. Probably, but I am not sure. We will have more information when the date gets closer." Doesn't that just make you, the consumer, ooze with confidence?

DirecTV will have four satellites that will do nothing but MPEG4 HD progamming. Dish is saying that they'll launch two satellites for their new MPEG4 service that will keep them in the lead on HD plus also carry all their current SD programming.

OK can someone tell me how E* will be able to do more with 1/2 the satellites, not saying they can't do it, just curious how it's going to be accomplished.

Yeah be interesting to see how it works out either way Dish will be fine and it will be better to be on MPG plus get more HUD as well. Also with Dish you will get better receivers as well. FICOS is still behind some and Tel cos rates will be about the same as cable due to it cost them allot more money to offer TV service. Plus some tel cos and cable companies monthly DVR fee is alot higher so those who want DVR's might check their monthly fee. I know their are some out their that are $15 bucks a month for DVR. Overall let see if they have 70 channel up and running and not just the capacity to have that many right now I cant think of 70 "" National Networks"" that have a HD version of their channel up. Their could be a few Networks getting their HD version of the channel up by then but we will see.

I just got off the phone with Directv. As we concluded my sign up, the CSR said, "Those 70 New HD channels will be firing up for the consumer by the end of July!!!!"

Again CSR INFO, so beware! That would be fast, if it did indeed happen.
:hungry:
You should have asked the CSR "Which year?"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)