70 New HD Channel CSR Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Okay, my daddy can beat your daddy. Someone here with DirectTV and the HR20 step up. On the Dish622 you can record 3 HD shows at one time (1 OTA and 2 D) and watch a fourth HD show previously recorded. If you do not pay for locals you do not have a guide? My guide works and tells me what is playing on supplemental channels (.2, .3, ect.). Recording is very easy and I like the ability to use PIP with what is recorded/recording so I can flip if I want to. Also, that 30 second skip for commercials is a killer. So where is the problem?

Can someone with DirectTV explain the HR20's abilities without the daddy vs daddy lingo? I would like to have a fair and complete comparison.

As someone stated before, I think, the HR20 has 2 OTA tuners and 2 Sat tuners. You can record 2 in any combination (including 2 OTA which it appears the 622 cannot) and of course you can watch something recorded while it's recording 2 things.

So it appears that the big difference is the 622 can record 3 things at once but never more then 1 OTA at the same time while the HR20 can record 2 things at once including 2 OTA at the same time. I guess which you prefer will be how much OTA/networks you record (which I gather for most people is probably 70+% of their viewing).

Not sure what you're talking about with the guide. OTA channels including subchannels are in the guide (at least mine are). They were in the guide just fine before HD locals were available via sat in my market.

Other things about the HR20:

- It doesn't have PIP like the 622 but it does have PIG (picture in guide)
- All D* HD STB's provide the local HD channel guide info, don't need to subscribe to local channels to get it. I know that E* at one time required you have locals to get guide info and it didn't include sub channels but I think that's slowly changing.
- It does have a 30 sec 'slip' function, basically FF's at 4X speed for 30 sec, althought if you queue up a bunch of them it's not very accurate.
- You can play MP3's and vide JPEG's from a computer on your home ethernet network.
- Using an eSATA drive you can increase the capacity of the box. This repleaces the internal drive in the box, you can't have both the internal and external active at the same time. Some folks have reported setting up RAID units with 1TB of recording space.
- They're just starting to work on an autocorrection function like the old Tivo boxes had (when FF's and you hit play it skips back a bit to where it thinks you wanted to stop.
- Video on demand is supposed to be coming very soon to the box. Some content will be pushed to the reserved space on the harddrive while other will be downloaded via a broadband internet connection, if you have one and the HR20 is connected to your home network.

Hope that helps a bit.

launch

the launch has been delayed till the 11th of july, the hd channels will be ready for viewing to cust. by sept. i am a csr for directv. The second one will be launched next year from what i have been told.Everyone with an older model HD or HD/DVR will need to call and get update to the hardware for your box.Its free just call.

the launch has been delayed till the 11th of july, the hd channels will be ready for viewing to cust. by sept. i am a csr for directv. The second one will be launched next year from what i have been told.Everyone with an older model HD or HD/DVR will need to call and get update to the hardware for your box.Its free just call.

This is not true. Unless somehow you have secret information that has not been released (not likely if its being pushed around internally at D*) or you got bad information. As of 8PM Eastern last night one of the launch engineers from the facility posted the latest update (on another site) and all was a go.

So I call false rumor. If its not we'll know by the end of today.

Chris

So I call false rumor. If its not we'll know by the end of today.
+1

anik hasn't changed his Russian launch schedule. There may have been a conflict with another launch later in the day, but as you say, we'll know by tomorrow for sure.

Here's a link to Khrunichev's update.

Last edited:

That's a hell of a 1st post, the launch is scrubbed and all new equipment is free.

I get the ota guide for my ota locals and the hd locals from DISH from Houston because my locals for my area ARE up on the sat as well but only in sd. So yes I did cheat to get them in HD by moving. BUt if I lived in Houston the scenerio would still be the same. I could easily record two sat hd locals and one ota hd local and get 3 of my networks recorded with the 622 dvr. But I would love it if DISH would add two ota tuners to the two sat tuners and let me record 4 things at a time. Wouldn't you like to be able to record up to 4 things at a time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts