72.5 Local Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deepdiver69

Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Help, I have been trying to setup a 2 dish system for local channels. I have 1 oval 3 lnb dish and and round dual lnb dish. I have a ZINWELL 4x4 multiswitch. The problem that I am having is I can not get the receiver to give me signal strength for the 72.5 sat, it only wants to give me 101,110 and 119. I have a d11 receiver. I have used a cheapo sat signal meter and I locked onto a sat at the same elevation about 30 deg to the left of the 101sat.

Is there a way to get the receiver to switch to the 72.5 sat?

Thanks for any help.

David

I am not familiar with the D11 receiver, but somewhere in the menu you should have a detect satellites function. That will do it. However, with a 4X4 switch, you will lose the 110 and 119 satellites when it picks up the 72.5. You need a 6X4 switch with 2 cables coming from the 72.5 and four from the 3 lnb dish. I have the same setup and that is the way it works.

I think brownover hit it on the head: the 4x4 switch doesn't work for 72.5 locals; you need the one with flexports which is either the 6x4 or 6x8.

A 4x4 DOES work for 72.5.

There is no such thing as a 6x4 multiswitch.

Where are you guys getting your information from?

With a Triple Sat and 72.5, you need a 6x8. With a 4x4, you can only get signal from 101 and 72.5.

benj said:
A 4x4 DOES work for 72.5.

With a 4x4, you can only get signal from 101 and 72.5.

And something that many people don't know - contrary to D* instructions, you only need 1 feed from the 72.5 dish into the switch, since D* only uses 1 polarity on the 72.5 bird. You just have to make sure you run it into the 18V side of the 22khz input on the switch & it will work just fine.

benj said:
There is no such thing as a 6x4 multiswitch.

Where are you guys getting your information from?
Cut me some slack. I said "either 6x4 or 6x8". I couldn't remember the number. :)

And yes, I know that you can use the 4x4 to do 101 and 72.5 only. But you cannot use it with the triple LNB oval dish as the original poster tried; you'd need two round dishes.

DirecTV is broadcasting only off the even transponders at 72.5, so you only need the one polarity.

Thanks for all the replies. I purchased a 6x8 multiswitch, installed it, now when the received does the auto detect or manual detect sat info, it finds 101, 110, 119 with good signal, but still no 72.5. I have it installed per the directions (very simple) At this point I am sure I am not pointing at the 72.5 sat. I have been told that the 72.5 sat is at the same elevation as the 101, is this correct? Will the receiver signal meter automatically start to show 72 strength when it is pointed corectly? Is there a way to make it look manually?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

No, the 72.5 is NOT at the same elevation as the 101 bird.
You need to get the 72.5 aimed correctly first, BEFORE you run it through the switch & it's very simple to do:

- take you receiver & connect it DIRECTLY to the 72.5 dish - do NOT use any switches, etc
- pull up the 101 meter on your receiver & aim your dish for max signal - note you will ONLY get signals on all EVEN x-ponders on the 101 meter
- once you do this, THEN reconnect the dish back into the switch & rerun your guided setup on all your receiver(s) & you should be good to go

Yes, this WILL work - this is how I have been setting up 2nd dishes since day one around here... ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)