72.7 comes into the picture. Another 8-K filiing

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Don't think this has been posted but thanks to Charles Shell for the tip. Actually it's 72.7W please fix the title.

EchoStar Corporation - Current Report

Item 1.01. Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement.

On March 11, 2008 (the “Effective Date”), EchoStar Corporation (“EchoStar”) entered into a transponder service agreement (the “Transponder Agreement”) with Bell ExpressVu Inc., in its capacity as General Partner of Limited Partnership (“Bell ExpressVu”), which provides, among other things, for the provision by Bell ExpressVu to EchoStar of service on sixteen (16) BSS transponders on the Nimiq 5 satellite at the 72.7° W.L. orbital location, all in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Transponder Agreement. The Nimiq 5 satellite is expected to be launched in the second half of 2009. Bell ExpressVu currently has the right to receive service on the entire communications capacity of the Nimiq 5 satellite pursuant to an agreement with Telesat Canada.

On March 11, 2008, EchoStar also entered into a transponder service agreement with DISH Network L.L.C. (“DISH L.L.C.”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (“DISH Network”), pursuant to which DISH L.L.C. will receive service from EchoStar on all of the BSS transponders covered by the Transponder Agreement (the “DISH Agreement”). DISH Network guaranteed certain obligations of EchoStar under the Transponder Agreement. DISH Network was EchoStar’s former parent corporation and is an affiliate of EchoStar by virtue of their common controlling shareholder, Charles W. Ergen. In addition, certain officers and directors of DISH Network, including Charles W. Ergen, are also directors and officers of EchoStar

The way I read it, it does affect Dish Network.

"EchoStar also entered into a transponder service agreement with DISH Network L.L.C. (“DISH L.L.C.”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (“DISH Network”), pursuant to which DISH L.L.C. will receive service from EchoStar on all of the BSS transponders covered by the Transponder Agreement "

I am pretty sure BSS is Broadcast Satellite Service aka DBS. In fact, AMC-14 is a BSS satellite.

AMERICOM-14 (AMC-14) is a BSS satellite featuring many noteworthy innovations, including an active phased array (APA) payload consisting of a receive mode APA antenna, and the highest levels of redundancy on core components such as amplifiers, receivers, commanding beam and computer control systems. Developed primarily by Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems, the APA will be a key satellite technology for future missions. AMC-14 will provide AMERICOM2Home® services in the United States for EchoStar Communications' DISH Network.

More info about Nimiq 5:

Telesat, has announced in January 2007 plans to build and launch Nimiq 5, the latest in the company’s line of satellites carrying digital television to Canadian viewers. Telesat has selected Space Systems/Loral as the manufacturer for Nimiq 5, which is slated for launch in 2009. Nimiq 5 will be based on a SS/Ls LS-1300 bus.

A high-power satellite, Nimiq 5 will be equipped with 32 Ku-band transponders. It will occupy Telesat’s orbital position at 72.7 degrees West Longitude and have a lifespan of more than 15 years.

The satellite’s manufacturing plan also includes contracts with the Canadian satellite industry, including multiplexers and switches from Com Dev International Ltd. and antennas from MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates, Ltd.

So maybe the rumored 1000.4 or 1000.5 dishes will see 3 satellite locations (61.5, 72.7 and 77). The previous 1000 dishes see 3 sat. locations so maybe their plan is to use the 1000.4 or 1000.5 dish for the East and 1000 and 1000.2 for the West (119, 110, and 129).

This Nimiq 5 satellite is scheduled to launch until the second half of 2009.

Well it looks like it is a DBS satellite with 32 TPs, I was confusing FSS with BSS. Loral Space & Communications - SPACE SYSTEMS/LORAL TO BUILD NIMIQ 5 SATELLITE FOR TELESAT CANADA

ILS Proton launch ILS And Telesat Canada Sign Contract To Launch Nimiq 5 On Proton In 2009

Well it will be tricky for Dish to design a dish that does 61.5/72.5/77 (I assume they will move it to 72.5 when they replace the one DIRECTV is using there, and move it to a spare).

Interesting it will be 16 TPs for Dish and DIRECTV currently leases 16. I wonder if DIRECTV has decided to give up the 72.5 slot since they will have all the capacity they need at the main slots with the next satellite going up...

This should also address concerns about interference from 77. Dish is now a customer hard to complain about interference.

I hope eastern arc comes very fast, so that people on the east wont have to put 2 dishes. I heard this eastern arc dish would be approximately the same size as 500+.

I heard this eastern arc dish would be approximately the same size as 500+.
:eek: At 23.8”h x 30.9"w, the 500+ is not exactly what I had in mind when I read "single dish". Can your rumor possibly be right? No sats in the arc are FSS...

Considering that all three orbital slots will be occupied with DBS band satellites, I can't imagine the dish being larger than a 1000.2.

The rest of the world calls the DBS band the BSS band. Then again, we're still using pints and quarts.

DirecTV 1r that is currently at 72.5 is a conus beam satellite. So its not ideal for hosting locals since that would be done more efficiently via spotbeam.

It looks like Dish's long term plan is to lease satellite space from other companies for their broadcasting and then just using their aging Echostar fleet to park in slots as they come up so they can acquire capacity either through sharing with providers in other countries or by gaining the slot cheaply when the owner can't get a bird there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)