72.7 degrees satellite

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
Does my dish need to be 72.7 degrees satellite to get the MPEG 4?? I see the dish maps for the different satellites and MPEG 4 is on 72.7. Is the picture quality better???

Thank you,

Chris

Does my dish need to be 72.7 degrees satellite to get the MPEG 4?? I see the dish maps for the different satellites and MPEG 4 is on 72.7. Is the picture quality better???

Thank you,

Chris

Lots of Dish satellites and many channels have converted to the new MPEG 4 format since it is more efficient and the satellite can carry more channels. Dish has said they expect everthing to be all MPEG 4 in 3-4 years as old set top boxes are replaced. The user probably can not see much difference. The efficiency comes in tranmission capacity and video recorder storage capacity.

All hd can be received in mpeg 4 now on DISH no matter whether it is on 110,129,61.5 or 72.7. IF you want all programming in mpeg 4 then an eastern arc dish 1000.4 is needed. You would also have to make sure that your area is an eastern arc area. Most likely if it is , you would have to pay to upgrade it your self , since DISH doesn't like to do free upgrades. I paid 99.00 to buy my eastern arc dish from a online retailer and I installed it myself . I can tell you that at first the pq looked better to me on all sd and hd channels. But in the end it won't be enough to justify an upgrade unless you just want an eastern arc dish. I had to sacrifice my signal strength in order to go eastern arc. My sat dish gets 40-48 on 72.7 sat, 45-50 on 77 sat, and 45-60 on 61.5 sat. I also have more rain fade now because in this area of southeast Texas(90 miles from Houston) we are on the outskirts of the eastern arc area and the main sat for eastern arc core programming is the 72.7 sat , which is my weakest sat. The western arc 110/119/129 is stronger because all are stronger , newer sats compared to the old sats that DISH sent to 72.7 &77 slots. The 72.7 and 77 slots are supposed to be replaced late this year and early next year with newer sats . Then I am sure that the strength will be comparable to the western arc sats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts