721/522 Stability/Availability??

duihlein

Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
I am about to replace my 3 year old Dishplayers with either a PVR 721 or DVR 522. I had heard dish would be making the 522 available to current subscribers at the end of the Q1.

Has anyone else heard this. I have a retailer offering me one for $500, and asked Dish if they would activate it. After checking with a supervisor she said "Yes". (Note: I have seen messages indicating others had tried this and told "NO" so I'm still a little skeptical)

I have to decide between the 721 & 522 and would like to know if stability issues have been resolved in either or if there is a newer software version to be released soon. I can wait another month or two if the 522 will be stable by then. I really like the idea of feeding 2 tv's with 2 sources.

Scott, any insight into what's in the near future?
Also, any update on the 921'a availability?

Thanks
Dave

The 522's will not be released for sale to the public until at least July.

You can get a 721 from DishStore.NET for $489 with free ground shipping, I believe this is the lowest price on the net for it. :)

bump... curious if the 721's are discontinued in production. I dont want to buy something on the way out.

Scott said on this web board, that he had heard of SBC possibly using the 721 with internet access for one of their basic receivers. Expressvu satellite in Canada uses the 721 and it has internet access as well.

I have talked to different dish techs and they have not heard of the 721 being discontinued and have told me this is their standard def flagship receiver. The 921 being the hd flagship receiver. This receiver is a good dual tuner receiver with a good interface and menu but I think it needs to come down in price to be more competitive .

Right now on www.Dishstore.com it's selling for 489.00 which is cheaper than I paid for it ( I paid 529.00). The www.dishdepot.com has it for 499.00. Ask Scott but he had told me that they, as well as dishdepot, will do tradeins. This is a good way to upgrade your old receivers and get a new dual tuner dvr .

Either way Dish will support this receiver whether it is discontinued or not. They are still supporting the 1000 receivers which were their first receivers in 96, as well as the original dreade dishplayers :7100/7200 receivers. With the extended warrenty they will exchange the bad receivers for a replacement. You definately need this with a dvr receiver like the 721. It can have some problems occasionly. I know I have had to replace both of my 721s at least one time each. I have also replaced my 508s for refurbed units when they failed. It is sound investment to have the extended warrenty.

One thing if it is brand new unit it is covered by basic warrenty for a year. When that year is over get the extended warrenty. You will need this if you have any dvr receivers. Hard drives fail quite often.

MikeD-C05 said:
Expressvu satellite in Canada uses the 721 and it has internet access as well.
Any links for this. I have seen some stuff from a developer but nothing from Expressvu that they have actually started to use it. Love to see it in action.

MikeD-C05 said:
I have talked to different dish techs and they have not heard of the 721 being discontinued and have told me this is their standard def flagship receiver.
Bob Haller says it is discontinued :rolleyes:

I don't remember where I saw this but I am pretty sure it was on this web board a few weeks back and Scott posted it. As far as it being discontinued , we all heard it was discontinued before the SBC deal with Dish went through. Since the new SBC deal Scott posted a link to the expressvu website and had the pictures of how the receiver worked etc. Of course it is not called a 721 up in Canada. I tried www.expressvu.com but there was no mention of this receiver . All they had was Canadian versions of the 301,508, and 6000 receivers from dish. Maybe Scott would be willing to tell us again where he saw this. He was the origional poster about all this if I remember right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)