721 Caller ID Problem

bf3000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bel Air, MD
I am hoping some of you can help me with this problem, or confirm that it is just a software bug. I recently purchased a 721 as part of the new promotion, and I am happy with everything but the caller ID feature. If I am watching TV normally, it seems like the caller ID only works about 10% of the time. However, if I am in any of the menus, or if I am doing PIP, the caller ID works 100% of the time. I have tried reboots, my switch is grounded, and I have trield my 811 in the exact same location and the caller ID works flawlessy (yes, I just said '811' and 'flawlessly' in the same sentence). Also, it is not just the pop-ups that don't work - when I go into my call history, the calls are not their either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking/hoping this is a software problem, but I need to know so that I can get a replacement if it is actually a hardware problem. Thanks

Yes, the switch is grounded to the house ground. Initially it wasn't, and I thought that might be the problem - but after grounding the switch, the problem remained.

I too got my 721 under the promotion about a month ago and the caller-id has only worked 3 times according to the caller-id history. Ironically no one was home watching TV at any of those 3 times. I have had 4 different receivers (5000, 301, 510) in the same location and all of them never miss a beat on caller-id. Every phone in the house has caller-id and they all work every time as well. But dish is trying to blame it on everything but the 721.
I tried a variety of things to isolate the problem, including bypassing all house wiring and attaching the 721 directly to the telephone service entry point of my house. I finally convinced dish to replace my 721. Guess what, the replacement 721's caller-id does not work either, not once. I cannot imagine that it is something other than a dish problem (bad design or bad batch of hardware). In your case, since caller-id works 100% of the time when you are in a menu or using PIP, but only 10% of the time otherwise I would suspect software too. If you get a replacement, good luck, you may be going from 10% to 0% caller-id as you may get my replacement unit as I decided not to swap mine out since the replacement did not buy me anything.

bf3000 said:
I am hoping some of you can help me with this problem, or confirm that it is just a software bug. I recently purchased a 721 as part of the new promotion, and I am happy with everything but the caller ID feature. If I am watching TV normally, it seems like the caller ID only works about 10% of the time. However, if I am in any of the menus, or if I am doing PIP, the caller ID works 100% of the time. I have tried reboots, my switch is grounded, and I have trield my 811 in the exact same location and the caller ID works flawlessy (yes, I just said '811' and 'flawlessly' in the same sentence). Also, it is not just the pop-ups that don't work - when I go into my call history, the calls are not their either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking/hoping this is a software problem, but I need to know so that I can get a replacement if it is actually a hardware problem. Thanks

I have a 721 and the caller ID works OK of course that doesn't mean anything. There have been numerous reports about bugs in 721's that I seem not to have. Good luck with your problem.

Bob

I have always had issues with it as well. Most calls show up in the history but the pop-up almost never works, I've seen it maybe 4 or 5 times in a year and a half. My switch is grounded, they sent me the 3-prong adapter and I put that on and it hasn't helped either.

Dennis

The ground doesn't do a blasted thing aside from save your home from a lightning strike.

It has nothing to do with operational stuff.

Sorry.. it's a peeve.

bcs: That's a huge oversimplification, but you're right in that I've never run into an operational problem due to grounding (or lack thereof).

Well... I fixed my problem. I am not sure how it happened, but the caller ID feature in my preferences became un-checked (see... I am not blaming myself). I know I had it checked when I first set up the box, which is before my locals were mapped to their local numbers (i.e. 4, 7, 9, etc.). Maybe there's a glitch that when a minor update comes in the caller ID is disabled?

Hope this helps,

The thing I don't like about the 721 caller ID vs. the 811, 50x, and 311 that I also use/have used recently, is that it displays a "0" when the caller's name is unknown, such as from a cell phone, instead of saying "unknown name" or whatever it said on the other receivers.

No big deal. It just looks weird, like something is not right.