721 Caller ID Problem

bf3000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bel Air, MD
I am hoping some of you can help me with this problem, or confirm that it is just a software bug. I recently purchased a 721 as part of the new promotion, and I am happy with everything but the caller ID feature. If I am watching TV normally, it seems like the caller ID only works about 10% of the time. However, if I am in any of the menus, or if I am doing PIP, the caller ID works 100% of the time. I have tried reboots, my switch is grounded, and I have trield my 811 in the exact same location and the caller ID works flawlessy (yes, I just said '811' and 'flawlessly' in the same sentence). Also, it is not just the pop-ups that don't work - when I go into my call history, the calls are not their either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking/hoping this is a software problem, but I need to know so that I can get a replacement if it is actually a hardware problem. Thanks

Yes, the switch is grounded to the house ground. Initially it wasn't, and I thought that might be the problem - but after grounding the switch, the problem remained.

I too got my 721 under the promotion about a month ago and the caller-id has only worked 3 times according to the caller-id history. Ironically no one was home watching TV at any of those 3 times. I have had 4 different receivers (5000, 301, 510) in the same location and all of them never miss a beat on caller-id. Every phone in the house has caller-id and they all work every time as well. But dish is trying to blame it on everything but the 721.
I tried a variety of things to isolate the problem, including bypassing all house wiring and attaching the 721 directly to the telephone service entry point of my house. I finally convinced dish to replace my 721. Guess what, the replacement 721's caller-id does not work either, not once. I cannot imagine that it is something other than a dish problem (bad design or bad batch of hardware). In your case, since caller-id works 100% of the time when you are in a menu or using PIP, but only 10% of the time otherwise I would suspect software too. If you get a replacement, good luck, you may be going from 10% to 0% caller-id as you may get my replacement unit as I decided not to swap mine out since the replacement did not buy me anything.

bf3000 said:
I am hoping some of you can help me with this problem, or confirm that it is just a software bug. I recently purchased a 721 as part of the new promotion, and I am happy with everything but the caller ID feature. If I am watching TV normally, it seems like the caller ID only works about 10% of the time. However, if I am in any of the menus, or if I am doing PIP, the caller ID works 100% of the time. I have tried reboots, my switch is grounded, and I have trield my 811 in the exact same location and the caller ID works flawlessy (yes, I just said '811' and 'flawlessly' in the same sentence). Also, it is not just the pop-ups that don't work - when I go into my call history, the calls are not their either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking/hoping this is a software problem, but I need to know so that I can get a replacement if it is actually a hardware problem. Thanks

I have a 721 and the caller ID works OK of course that doesn't mean anything. There have been numerous reports about bugs in 721's that I seem not to have. Good luck with your problem.

Bob

I have always had issues with it as well. Most calls show up in the history but the pop-up almost never works, I've seen it maybe 4 or 5 times in a year and a half. My switch is grounded, they sent me the 3-prong adapter and I put that on and it hasn't helped either.

Dennis

The ground doesn't do a blasted thing aside from save your home from a lightning strike.

It has nothing to do with operational stuff.

Sorry.. it's a peeve.

bcs: That's a huge oversimplification, but you're right in that I've never run into an operational problem due to grounding (or lack thereof).

Well... I fixed my problem. I am not sure how it happened, but the caller ID feature in my preferences became un-checked (see... I am not blaming myself). I know I had it checked when I first set up the box, which is before my locals were mapped to their local numbers (i.e. 4, 7, 9, etc.). Maybe there's a glitch that when a minor update comes in the caller ID is disabled?

Hope this helps,

The thing I don't like about the 721 caller ID vs. the 811, 50x, and 311 that I also use/have used recently, is that it displays a "0" when the caller's name is unknown, such as from a cell phone, instead of saying "unknown name" or whatever it said on the other receivers.

No big deal. It just looks weird, like something is not right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)