721 Card Exchange: HEADS UP

LER

Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Round Rock, TX US
This just in from my E* Insider:
Just a heads up--the smartcard exchange for the 721 has had a few issues.
If and when they send you the yellow card for your 721, do not try to
activate the card. The activations have not been successful. Instead, call
DISH and tell them you have a 721. They will express ship a replacement
receiver for free instead of activating the card.
So, for those that haven't gotten yellow cards for their 721's, heads up.

LER did tey say what the problem is? I replaced mine about 1 1/2 months ago and haven't had any problems with it. Maybe I was one of the luck one with my 721.

I had the same experience as you. My source says to consider yourself lucky :)

I just report what I get :)

Thanks for the info LER. I just hope that something doesn't creep up now. However if it does I guess I will know what the problem is.

All of you guys pass on great info.

THANKS

I had a problem with my swap. The card they sent me did not have any of the logos on it, just a plain yellow card. It could not be activated. I was told to re-insert my blue card and they'd UPS me the proper yellow card. 12 hours later, the blue card was deactivated. I had to spend 30 minutes convincing the guy what had happened earlier, he re-activated the yellow card, wanted me to reboot, then re-activated the blue card yada yada....

The trick here is,,,if you have a 721 or 921 and the yellow card doesn't have a logo, it probably won't work.

BTW...got the replacement replacement card and everything is fine now. My recording of American Idol was all that was missed...My wife was not very happy :(

Replaced the card in my 721 two months ago with no problems (other than the guide disappearing last week for a day - but that may have been caused by something else?).

If we could have more desciptive signs of the 721/921 specialized cards ? Like some info from System Info screen related to the type of card ?

Then ppl will have solid knowledge which card should be used for the DVR models. Instead of talking about the subjective color, icons, etc.

Also, I think, there is should be a link between PVR config [something like HEED or HEAD] and the card version.