721 help

SAlifelong

Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
Hello,

Our situation is. We have SA and have for many years. Our old 4000 receiver died a couple days ago. We briefly had Dish setup along with our SA but chose to get rid of Dish programming. We would like to get a 721, hook it up to our main tv and have an extra connection in the bedroom. This worked with the Dish programming but we had to send the receiver (522) LNB's and connectors back when we cancelled. We still have the 2 dishes. 1 (pointed at 61.5) we used our old LNB and it has worked till the receiver crashed.
Besides purchasing the 721 receiver what else would we need to get just SA on both tv's.
Hope this is clearer than mud :)

Thanks.
Randy

Well it isn't too clear to me. You can run channel 3/4 output from your 721 to bedroom. This works well as 721 has uhf remote but the 721 only has one output so the br will watch what the main loc watches. You might want to use both dishes as the 7 day guide for the 721 is on 110 plus you of course need 61.5 for SA. You need two inputs for the 721 of course. you could diplex back from the 721 to the br with 3/4 output. Does this help and what else do you want to know?

Thanks for your response.

I had a feeling I wasn't making my situation too clear. :eek:
When Dish set it up, it was a dual tuner (522). There was/is only one cable coming out from the Living room. They put a splitter (or so it seemed) on that
and then divided it into 2 small cables (5 inches long each)that went into the 522.
The tv in the bedroom worked with the extra remote they gave with the 522 and that connection was just one cable plugged into the TV.

The antenna set up went something like this..the 61.5 dish had one cable that exited and connected into the 110/119 antenna ? LNB (was a bigger one than the 61.5 but I am not sure what kind). This is what I need to know so I can replace it if it is necessary. Understanding like you said I may need the 110/119 antenna so that the 721 will work properly 2 cables came out from the 110/119 antenna and they used a connector to tap into the existing not so older cable connection that was there, that took the cables into the attic.

The Dish installer was up in the attic and I don't have a clue what he did up there, but I thought he just ran the cable to the areas that we wanted to be serviced.

After we had Dish Network discontinued, I used a LNB I had from a previous situation and put it on the 61.5. I disconnected the 61.5 cable from the 110/119 antenna and connected it to one of the connectors that fed the cable going to the attic. I disconnected the other 2 cables that had been previously going to this connector from the 110/119 antenna.
I then connected the cable in the living room to our Dish 4000 and we had SA only in the LR till the 4000 receiver crashed. Was never able to figure out how to get SA into the bedroom. Would ideally like to have SA in both the LR and BR using the dual tuner 721, like the previous 522 did. Problem is I am a bit confused on how to get that to happen.

Any help is surely appreciated.

OK a couple of questions.

1) You don't want to add Dish back just keep SA on 2 TV's right?

2) The LNB you put on the 61.5 dish to the 4000, does it have a DP on the front of it? How many outputs did the LNB have?

3) Do you have the 721 or are you going to buy one? The 721 will not allow you to watch 2 different programs on 2 TV's like the 522/625. You can buy a 522 from Dishstore.net for $320

You DO NOT have to have 110/119 hooked up unless you want the extended EPG. You will get the 48 hour guide with only the 61.5 sat. You can get a 9 day guide for a DVR with 110.

It sounds like when you had 61.5/110/119 you had a DishProPlus LNB on 110/119 and a DishPro Dual LNB on 61.5 with a DPP separator going to the 522.

BTW, welcome to satguys.

OK a couple of questions.

1) You don't want to add Dish back just keep SA on 2 TV's right?
YES, that is right.

2) The LNB you put on the 61.5 dish to the 4000, does it have a DP on the front of it? How many outputs did the LNB have?
It is a Direct TV LNB with 2 outlets

3) Do you have the 721 or are you going to buy one? The 721 will not allow you to watch 2 different programs on 2 TV's like the 522/625. You can buy a 522 from Dishstore.net for $320
Hmmm...didn't realize the 721 couldn't be watched on 2 different programs from 2 different tv's. We are seriously considering buying one, didn't want the long term $5 mo charge from Dish for the DVR as well as having another $5 mo charge for not plugging into a phone line. Cell phone exclusive users here in the near future.

You DO NOT have to have 110/119 hooked up unless you want the extended EPG. You will get the 48 hour guide with only the 61.5 sat. You can get a 9 day guide for a DVR with 110.
OK, we aren't attached to the guide, but the main consideration would be the overall $$ to set this system up and maintain it.

It sounds like when you had 61.5/110/119 you had a DishProPlus LNB on 110/119 and a DishPro Dual LNB on 61.5 with a DPP separator going to the 522.
Thanks for the information and your help :D

BTW, welcome to satguys.
Thank you.. :)

The DirecTv LNB is what is referred to as a legacy LNB.

Options:
1) Buy 721/522/625 and run 2nd cable from LNB to where DVR is. (721, 522, & 625 have to have 2 cables from LNB, unless you buy a DishProPlus LNB with a separator).

2) Run 2nd cable from LNB to bedroom and buy 2 receivers, one for main TV & 1 for bedroom (standard or 501/508 DVR not subject to DVR fee)

A quick price check from dishstore.net (sponsor of this site):
522 - $320
501 - $129
508 - $179
301 - $79
322 - $154

522 will have a DVR fee + a fee for 2nd tuner not connected to a phone line.
501 & 508 are same DVR just larger hard drive in 508.
322 is a standard receiver but allows you to watch 2 different shows in 2 different rooms. You will have to run 2nd cable to main TV.

DishProPlus LNB (DPP) - $40
DPP Separator - $10

SAlifelong , welcome to Satelliteguys! mgwii is giving out his usual sage advise.

You may want to consider getting two 501 or 508 receivers instead of the 721 if it is only for SA at61.5° This way you have total control for two TVs and individual DVRs for both rooms. Even if you want to have both receivers in one room because of wiring issues (though you still need to run a wire from the receiver to the TV so what is the difference?) these receivers have RF remotes that work from just about anywhere in a regular size house. As has been stated before, the 721 only has one output. You can feed it to all the TVs in your house at the same time, but there is only one picture coming out of this thing at any one given time.

The second receiver fee of the two 501/508 receivers is a wash with the DVR fee of the 522.

Hope this helps!

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

mwgiii & Tony,

Thanks for your help in this matter! We are leaning towards the 721 still because we usually don't have the 2 tv's going at the same time and the long term cost would be better.

Options:
1) Buy 721/522/625 and run 2nd cable from LNB to where DVR is. (721, 522, & 625 have to have 2 cables from LNB, unless you buy a DishProPlus LNB with a separator).

Now regarding this option. If we just hook up the DishProPlus LNB and separator. Which DishProPlus LNB do you suggest? Is it the Twin? Or is there another better LNB more suitable just coming off the 61.5 antenna?

Another question...Besides the separator going into the 721, does anything else need to be done to get the connection to the BR or can I assume whatever needed to be done was done in the attic when Dish originally set this up. I can't remember if their were any other connections coming out of the previous 522. Although there is/was just one cable coming out in the BR and LR. Somehow I remember sending back at least 2 splitters (separators) when we returned their equipment.

watch out here. DPP plus seperator won't work on a 721 as of yet. Soon maybe but not yet. A DPP44 with a seperator will work though so you could use one coax

dont do the separaator part because there isnt a DPP Dual (not that I know of)

just run 2 lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)