721 Question regarding a line

phantompr

Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
I just purchased a 721 DVR to replace a 301. I noticed a very thin line on the bottom on the screen on every show (live or recorded) that I'm watching. Is this some kind of copy write protection on the DVR's or a unit malfunction? This line does not show on my 301.

I have had two different 721's and they both have had the line. I tried different video cables and even tried connecting to different ports on my television, but the line would not go away. I have learned to live with it. E* will not acknowledge that it is a problem, but I posted about this on dbstalk.com and one member there told me that it was a known problem since the 721 first came out. I have not been able to find a fix.

I have had it (the line) since the 721 first came out. I have no idea why it is there.
It is right on the fringe of my set. I think that technically, it would be considered to be in the overscan area. If it really bothers you, you can have your monitor properly adjusted so that area is not displayed.
It is so small though, I just don't pay any attention to it.

FWIW
while reading this morning, my 721 went into screen saver mode. Right now it making big green and gray blobs grow on the screen.

anyway, the screen saver actually begins 3 or 4 lines above the mystery line. Not sure what that means, but that is what is happening

I just got done with reducing the (in my opinion) ridiculous amount of overscan on my TV and was noticing the line down there. I wondered what it was, then I found this thread.

I have a 721 and have never seen this line.
Maybe my tv automatically adjusted for it, or something.

My projection tv is a 1994 Mitsubishi that I got cheap and had four about four years so it does not adjust automatically like the newer ones do.

Problem with line fixed

phantompr said:
I just purchased a 721 DVR to replace a 301. I noticed a very thin line on the bottom on the screen on every show (live or recorded) that I'm watching. Is this some kind of copy write protection on the DVR's or a unit malfunction? This line does not show on my 301.

I went to the menu display option and adjusted the screen. Now the line is gone!!!!! :yes

If you don't see the line it's because your TV doesn't display all the picture. Most older TV overscan the picture tube. So you're missing a little bit of picture on all four sides. This is pretty much how all analog CRTs work. Newer Digital CRT based televisions don't overscan nearly as much. And Fixed pixel displays such as LCD, LCOS and DLP only overscan if specifically programmed to in the video scaler. On my projector the line is clearly visable, about a 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the picture on my 100 inch screen. It's most likely an artifact of a programing bug, not a hardware issue.

I wouldn't expect you would. The 510 uses a different software base. I noticed the line was around in early 921 software release, but eventually disappeared. I don't think it ever made it back to the 721 software base.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts