721 single frame advance?

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
I have had a 721 for a long time. It seems to me it used to advance a frame at a time once paused by hitting the skip ahead button. I had to hit the skip back button a couple of times first to get it to then advance frame by frame by hitting the skip ahead button.

It will no longer advance a frame at a time, hasn't for quite a while. It seems to skip ahead at least a couple frames, maybe a few.

Does anybody have a 721 that still advances a frame at a time and it's just my receiver screwing up or is this something dish network has changed on all 721s?

This problem happened on the 921 a couple of releases back, but they fixed it.

Maybe it's the same problem (it is the same code base).

Hitting "pause" and then the "fwd" button advances mine close enough to frame by frame (1/15). Then hit "pause" or the skip forward button to pause it at the frame you want.

As soon as I got my 721, this past summer, I noticed that the frame advance was not as "frame by frame" as the 501 was.

Thanks for the replies.

Charise, I have recently discovered the slow motion works pretty well. However, it seems I have to pause it, hit the skip back button a couple times, and then do the slow forward. If I just pause it and then hit the slow forward it seems to jump ahead just a bit. That, or I have to pause it and then start the slow forward back from the point I actually want to see.

All in all this is not a big deal. I am still extremely happy with my 721. The 721 seems much easier to use (user friendly) than our fairly recently acquired 625 used in single mode. Also, probably should be another thread, but while I'm talking about the 625 I don't see what the big deal is about name based recording. I personally don't use the 625, just help try to figure it out at times. All the lines through skipped recordings and the fact that dishnetwork told me they stay on there for 59(?) days, I think it was, really bugs me. I prefer using the timers on the older receivers.

Do the Tivos also show the skipped recordings in the same way?

I guess I better stop. I am getting into what should be several different threads.