722 511 software Fast Forward erratic

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Mine loves to act up while fast forwarding thru the commercials. When the show restarts, I always hit the jump back button. Now, sometimes, the darn thing jumps even farther forward, weird.

Nobody has commented on whether this glitch is by design in response to broadcasters complaints about commercial skipping.

Mine loves to act up while fast forwarding thru the commercials. When the show restarts, I always hit the jump back button. Now, sometimes, the darn thing jumps even farther forward, weird.
Same here.

Fast forward has always been too rough on my 622 so all I use is the 30 second skip. 4-6 bumps and I'm through the commercials.

With 511 fast forward jumps back about 10-15 seconds when I hit play from FWD at 4X. It does stop where it ought on 4X Back. Some of the Irratic behavior is evidently caused by the problems with displaying MPEG4 frames out of normal speed. The MPEG4 compression causes difficulty in recreating frames smoothly and predictably, so the FWD has a tendency to lunge and jump. It is difficult to predict where the next frame will be.

The erratic behavior that started with 5.11 is present on programs recorded long before 5.11 that previously had no problems and on HD and SD data. I doubt MPEG4 is the problem. I have had no response from an e-mail to Dish 3 days ago.

I had started another thread on this topic and someone pointed out this one. I've had the FF and RW problems for some time now. Go to skip ahead using 3x or 15x and when you hit play it ends up somewhere else in the show.

Last night I finally called Dish, and customer service was well aware of the problem, I did not have to finish my complete description of it, she said many customers had been calling on that and that there is a fix for it coming very soon, she would not tell me when. All she said was that the problem happened in the last software download. D didn't ask which because I only care about a fix at this point. But I could tell she knew of this problem, she did not need to look anything up or talk to anyone to let me know what was happening and why.

If anyone gets a fix, could you please post that you did, so we can look for ours?

I'll join in the list of people having this problem. I have a 622 and it worked fine for quite a while and then it suddenly started to freak out. FF/RW isn't as bad with HD as it is for SD.

Yeah, I was trying to find the start of a program, and kept ending up either in the middle of it or well before it started. Even when I used a lower speed and pressed play at the credits of the other show, it still jumped ahead a good 10 minutes. My mom just left Direct for Dish and has been complaining about "the remote"—I think she means this glitch.

I had started another thread on this topic and someone pointed out this one. I've had the FF and RW problems for some time now. Go to skip ahead using 3x or 15x and when you hit play it ends up somewhere else in the show.

Last night I finally called Dish, and customer service was well aware of the problem, I did not have to finish my complete description of it, she said many customers had been calling on that and that there is a fix for it coming very soon, she would not tell me when. All she said was that the problem happened in the last software download. D didn't ask which because I only care about a fix at this point. But I could tell she knew of this problem, she did not need to look anything up or talk to anyone to let me know what was happening and why.

If anyone gets a fix, could you please post that you did, so we can look for ours?

That's good to hear that they are aware of the problem. Thanks for sharing this information. Maybe the v5.12? will fix the problem.

Engineering at DISH Network is aware of the software issue. This problem will be corrected in the next software update. Don't lose your recordings by calling in and getting a new box.

Same here.

Ditto, with my 722 on 511. I noticed it (but not nearly as bad) on 449 as well. It seems much worse on HD programs than SD. And it does not seem quite as glitchy using the ~30 sec. skip as the fast-forward. But it's all still glitchy and annoying. Granted, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it would be very nice if this were fixed sooner rather than later.

when i had 449 software on my 722 everything was fine, now if i fast forward too much the 722 locks up and I cant rewind, ff, or even use my remote. I now have too reset my 722 to get it to work.

I use the skip buttons when possible.

When I use FF/Rewind, I watch the location bar. If it stops changing then I will change speed or pause. It will usually jump to the then indicated time, not the currently pictured position. I then restart the forwarding/rewinding until I get close.

It is nice on the main drive to forward to the end and use the rewind or skip back to get to actual end of show. It will allow to get this location from the Resume button and the start of show from the Start Over button. If you cancel out too close (<30 sec) to the end you may lose the end-of-show possibility later. These positions are available on the external but you cannot back up from the end on the external drive. Positioning on the external resets this location.

Yes, L511 is a pain for those who need to carefully position the show to look at details.
-Ken

I have this problem, too. That's why I'm here today! It's driving me nuts. When I ff and hit play, it jumps ahead several scenes. It's pissing me off, frankly.

I don't even know what software version I have, but I have a 622. How do I find the software version?

Would a mass complaint to Dish help at all? I am not going to be able to stand this every day until they come out with a new software version. This is an obvious error and they need to create a fix. Now.

Thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)