722 and Comcast on the same cable ?

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
Friend of mine wants to combine Output 2 from his vip 722 And Comcast to go to his extra tv sets with only 1 cable. Can this be done ?

Yep, use standard splitter in reverse to combine the two signals to the next tv. You would need to set the output on the 722 to match the cable signal type and set the 722 to a channel that does not conflict with any cable channel.

Yep, use standard splitter in reverse to combine the two signals to the next tv. You would need to set the output on the 722 to match the cable signal type and set the 722 to a channel that does not conflict with any cable channel.

I did that today and Set the 722 to modulate on 75. That ch. is not be used by comcast here and the picture on 75 from the 722 was very snowy. Cable ch. looked ok

Try several different channels, sometimes there is interference on certain channels.

I have a similar question. Two years ago I switched to Dish because Comcast cannot provide me a DVR that has any decent features -- this will likely NOT change in the near future. I had Dish installed and LOVE my 722 DVR -- I would never go back if I can't get a DVR similar to the 722 from Comcast. I kept Comcast wired to my house for the high speed internet; I have it going to just one jack in the house that the cable modem is connected to.
I have the output of my ViP722DVR-HD set to TV1: TV ch out 110, TV2: TV ch out 115; the output of my Vip222K-HD set to TV1: TV ch out 120, TV2: TV ch out 125. I have the Output of both units (722 and 222) as Inputs to a high quality splitter [3 Inputs/1 Output], the Output of which goes into the Input of another high quality splitter [1 Input/8 Outputs]. ALL 8 of my TVs in the house are feed from this splitter via individual coax cables. It works GREAT!!! I can see any of the 4 Dish signals, and anything recorded on the DVR on ANY TV in the house. I would NEVER go back!
Our community has 3 channels that have information produced by our local newspaper. These three channels are ONLY available on Comcast -- NOT over the air or on ANY other provider. My wife really wants those channels. In addition, it would be nice to have the basic local channels if Dish goes out (happens about once a month). Comcast has a current promotion for Basic cable (channels 2 - 22) for $10 per month. I had them put that back on my account. I then split the Comcast feed into two - the one that goes to the cable modem and the other as the third Input to the splitter that the Dish signals come into. Same thing as reported earlier -- the signals to ALL TVs on ch 110,115,120 and 125 are now fuzzy. I took the Comcast signal back off the splitter.
Most of my TVs do not have more than one coax input so even if I could wire a second cable to each set, I would need a switch to get both signals into the TVs.
Any suggestions as to what else I can do? I thought that using ch 110, 115, 120 and 125 would help, but it is not working with the Comcast signal. Thanks!!!

My wife's emplyer installed a comcast cable modem when they moved her home to work. The installer told us that basic cable was broadcast in the clear so if we wanted to put a splitter on the line and watch tv we could. Checked it out and it is there. Don't need it as I jad already splitt tv 2 off to her office. But it could come in handy.
So you might want to check. You might already be getting thoae local channels.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I should have added that u might be receiving thoae channels with no additional charge.
Another point. When the comcast internet was imstalled I asked tbe same question that u did. In theory it should work however it was stated that there may end up beong to much interferance to work effectivley.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I tried the signal before I ordered the Basic Cable and there was no channels. Comcast had some sort of filter on the line in the box in the back yard. They had to come out and modify it when I ordered the Basic Cable.

The problem with combining your RF output with cable is that often cable transmits nul information on blank channels so that they will have no "snow" on these empty channels. This will also block or interfere with any channels you insert.

The problem with combining your RF output with cable is that often cable transmits nul information on blank channels so that they will have no "snow" on these empty channels. This will also block or interfere with any channels you insert.

I went to setup one of my customers that way (combining cox cable and dish modulated channels) and it didn't matter what channel i chose it was snowy
After talking with the boss he informed me that you use to be able to do this no problem before the cable co. added hi def.
he thinks all channels that may appeare to not be being used are actually transmitting digital channels that are "remapped" in the cable box.
He sugested a filter (post splitting off for the modem) that would filter those higher (70 and up) channels out.
We have one on order and I will report back with results when it gets installed next week

I went to setup one of my customers that way (combining cox cable and dish modulated channels) and it didn't matter what channel i chose it was snowy
After talking with the boss he informed me that you use to be able to do this no problem before the cable co. added hi def.
he thinks all channels that may appeare to not be being used are actually transmitting digital channels that are "remapped" in the cable box.
He sugested a filter (post splitting off for the modem) that would filter those higher (70 and up) channels out.
We have one on order and I will report back with results when it gets installed next week

This is exactly the case now, cable companies are running there full digital line up in these "unused" channel locations now and sometimes have contracts with local businesses, hospitals and such to provide direct connections for surveillance, servers and such. Without some form of filter to block out the upper end you will have snow on just about every channel you try, unless you have a really bad mom and pop cable company. Using a filter such as a Channel Plus LPF-380 Low Pass Filter, it Passes CATV 2-50, Blocks CATV >50. This gives you all your local cable channels and blocks all RF above channel 50 leaving it open for all TV2 applications you are looking for.

Try setting the modulator to cable channel 125. I know that it works with Mediacom here in my area as I have done it. BUT do not try to use the remote tv2 antenna method with this, the internet feed will backfeed into the receiver's antenna port and fry it inside the box, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)