722 Audio Problem from RCA Ouputs

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I only just started using TV1 RCA audio outputs, and notice a huge sync issue. There is also distortion when playing back recorded HD programs.

The problem only occurs with HD programs/channels. SD is fine.
The problem is only from the RCA audio outputs. HDMI and optical is fine.

Is this a known bug? I did a search, and see a few posts about similar problems with multiple models going back a few years.

Am I really the only one with this problem? I've seen it mentioned sporadically over the years across a few different HD models.

Is anybody familiar with this issue at all? Is it still considered a current bug, or does Dish think they fixed it?

I never noticed it before when using Slingbox. But, I recently re-wired my system, and now use RCA audio to the TV. A pwer button reset seems to fix it temporarily. But, it comes back quickly. I wonder if using the HDMI output is what throws the RCA output off?

I'm running a new (Nov '09) 722K in single mode. Had HDMI audio dropout issues so went to component with RCA audio. Using TV1 video/audio, had significant audio lag and popping. Tried TV1 component video and TV2 audio and lag and popping went away. Sound similar to your issue?

Yes. I don't get the popping tho. I guess I'll try the TV2 audio, and see if that helps. The problem with using the TV2 output is that's what I use for my DVD recorder. I'll figure something out, I guess.

Or, he's a crazy idea...Maybe Dish can fix this problem that's apparently been an ongoing issue with their HD receivers for years. It's so crazy, it just might work.

Perhaps my story can help.

I have my 722 located in my basement theater. It's connected by HDMI to a projector. I have a second set upstairs that I connect via component and analog stereo cables. This has worked well up till now.

I added a 32" panasonic set to the theater so I could do casual viewing there without firing up the projector and putting hours on the lamp. The pany is also connected by HDMI. To do that I picked up an HDMI splitter. The splitter connected to the 722's HDMI output, then ran to the pany and to my Denon AV Receiver. This let me run the pany with the AV receiver off if I chose.

This too seemed to work until I paid a bit more attention. Watching the premier of Lost I noticed the sound didn't seem right. A quick peek at the Denon AV receiver showed it was only getting two channel stereo audio from the HDMI port. I had lost my 5.1 surround since adding the splitter.

So I reconnected the splitter to the HDMI output of the Denon AV receiver. That restored my 5.1 surround, but since then, the component video and analog audio to the TV upstairs is out of synch by a second or more. Very annoying.

Apparently in my first configuration the 722 was defaulting to a two channel stereo output to match the pany TV. In the second configuration, I'm guessing the component video and analog audio are getting out of synch when my Denon AV Receiver is turned off. That is, the HDMI configuration is effecting the analog signals.

I'm still working on finding a proper solution to all of this.

Am I really the only one with this problem? I've seen it mentioned sporadically over the years across a few different HD models.

Is anybody familiar with this issue at all? Is it still considered a current bug, or does Dish think they fixed it?

I never noticed it before when using Slingbox. But, I recently re-wired my system, and now use RCA audio to the TV. A pwer button reset seems to fix it temporarily. But, it comes back quickly. I wonder if using the HDMI output is what throws the RCA output off?

I just got this receiver on Monday and I am having the same problem. I called Dish and they act like they've never heard of this. If I watch through the HDMI connection directly connected to the TV, it's fine. If I watch through the DVD recorder, the audio is out of sync on HD channels only. This is maddening! I've done the front panel reset as well as unplugging the receiver and it clears up for a while and within a few hours, it's back.

Since Dish doesn't seem to know what the problem is, they're going to send me a replacement unit, but it looks like it's a permanent problem.

I have been complaining about audio issues on my 722k since I first got it. HDMI OR Optical gives me the same results. I get major audio dropouts on Local channels recorded OTA. Problem does not seem to occur on the same channel via satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)