722 Dead?

Neulee`

Original poster
May 11, 2007
While watching a hockey game tonight on a 6 month old 722 the picture froze and the unit would not respond to the remote. I did a front panel reset, the fan runs on high, the tv1 light comes on for ~1 min and then it goes out and no picture shows up.

I unplugged the 722 for 30 sec and when it was plugged back in it behaves the same as above.

Is there anything else I can try?

Yeah, that happened to mine a little less than a year ago and that means it is done for. I called tech support and everything they had me try didn't work. I had to get it replaced.

I left it unplugged for a couple of hours, put a small fan behind it, plugged it back in and it's been working ever since.

I hope this isn't the start of a downhill spiral?

I left it unplugged for a couple of hours, put a small fan behind it, plugged it back in and it's been working ever since.

It likely is. I'd start backing up to EHD.

And Dish replaces the unit for free or do you have to be enrolled in the monthly paid warranty program?

And Dish replaces the unit for free or do you have to be enrolled in the monthly paid warranty program?

$15.00 shipping if no on DHPP. I always set it up, then cancel after-wards.

I do have the DHPP so that's good?

I'm thinking of getting
an external drive, how small of one can I get away with to transfer my full internal DVR drive?

While watching a hockey game tonight on a 6 month old 722 the picture froze and the unit would not respond to the remote. I did a front panel reset, the fan runs on high, the tv1 light comes on for ~1 min and then it goes out and no picture shows up.

I unplugged the 722 for 30 sec and when it was plugged back in it behaves the same as above.

Is there anything else I can try?

Well it was HOCKEY, With all that Ice of course it FROZE!! :D

Seriously, get it backed up. As for HD size why would you want as small as possible? Once you are paying for an external HD more GB doesn't cost much more. Go the other way and get as much space as you can. You have to pay the activation fee too if you do not have an external drive activated.

Well it was HOCKEY, With all that Ice of course it FROZE!! :D

Seriously, get it backed up. As for HD size why would you want as small as possible? Once you are paying for an external HD more GB doesn't cost much more. Go the other way and get as much space as you can. You have to pay the activation fee too if you do not have an external drive activated.

I was thinking of going with the BlacX hard disk holder and as a start I wanted to just get a drive just big enough to archive the current DVR disk and expand later as needed.

BlacX is the way to go.

I have two of them and swap around 6-8 250-500 GB drives as needed.

Installed the BlacX and a Hitachi 500Gb Deskstar last night and set it to copy the internal drive.

Might even be done by now!

You mean 'move' the internal hard drive. The EHD function does not 'copy' but moves the data to the EHD. Don't be surprised if all your recordings are gone from your internal HD when you check today.

Everything moved just fine.

With the fan aimed at the back of the unit it was still rebooting on its own.
I removed the cover and aimed a small fan at the power supply and the unit has not rebooted since 10/4. I'm thinking of removing the power supply to look for bad solder connections. I might have time to look at it this weekend.

I had the same type issues with My 722 last year.It wasnt until I took it out of a Cabinet/TV Stand and placed on a Milk Crate that has alot of open slots to let air flow around receiver did it finally start working right.Also dont make the mistake I did and place anything on top on Unit (I had a small DVD player set on top (not blocking air vent,but this caused extra heat to the receiver even when DVD player wasnt on.Have receiver placed in an area where air can flow around unit,I even in hot sumer months out here in California put a fan pointing at receiver.No problems since doing this.I know this is a pain to do but you dont want to keep having to call Dish over this issue unless it quits completly.Good Luck..

After I placed the small fan directed onto the power supply I have not had a single problem with this 722.
I did not have time this weekend to look into any issues with the power supply itself (was out of town) but I am still going to try and will post my results here.

I've had my 722 replaced twice. Anyways, this last time I got $5x10 month w/o contract after making a fuss about losing my shows and time. Get a K to backup your timers to your remote. Be firm, but NICE. I was offered a contract, which would equate to $100 off, but didn't take it.

So I called back later and the guy couldn't do it, but gave me another 3months of FREE HBO & Showtime. I don't care as I know I can get it later and it will be $150 off not $100 LOL. Since, I got the original $50 credit. I have called and asked for offers I saw posted here and didn't even get the mailer but said I did. So, the point is ask...

Monthly Charges
dishHD Absolute With Locals 34.99
dishHD Absolute With - Adjustment -10.00
dishHD Absolute With - Adjustment - 5.00
dishHD Absolute With - Adjustment -11.00
HBO & Showtime 22.00
3 MO Premium Discount -7.45
DISH Network DVR Service Fee 11.96
DISH Network DVR Service - Adjustment -6.00
DHA Leased Receiver 7.00 _____________
Monthly Total $36.50

I also get Cinemax for 1 cent a year. It's not listed for some reason.