722 died-swap drives?

thunderstruck

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Chicago
My 722 seems to have died-it goes into a continuous boot loop. I tried the power cord and power button reset, with no luck. I am getting a replacement unit on Monday from Dish. Is it possible to swap the drive from my dead unit into the new one, or is it somehow linked to the new one, with Mac ID or serial number? I had a ton of recorded movies on my old one which I'd hate to lose.

If you put the old HDD in the new 722, it will probably format it and you lose all programs anyway.

If it's formatted by 622/722 FW, then it will not reformat - tested !

[Reading posts last day, I can't believe - are we Dish affiliate ? Are we can not think outside the box ? Each time someone come with idea to share EHD with his Windows PC or replace HDD those naysayers acting as Dish employee: No!; Do not touch!; Don't!; Doesn't work!; Don't expose facts! etc]

Last edited:
Id swap the drives. The continuous boot loop could be completely unrelated to the HDD.

Next, go buy the Western Digital USB My DVR expander and store your stuff there from now on ;)

Up for now, after doing the unplug and press power 10 times. SW is L618. Apparently I can't read any info relating to the HD from the DVR. If I have to I can put the HD in a sled and pop it in my Media Center PC which is next to it to see if I can get any diagnostic info from the drive.
I may build a backup drive since I have plenty of cases and HD's, but it sucks I have to pay them $40 to enable it. Too bad I only saw one SATA port, or I'd run a cable out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)