722 DVR Question

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, As you know, in Feb. the OTA antenna sigs. are going digital. I get the local chs. in HD, BUT Dish doesn't carry the New CW in HD so I get it in HD from my roof ant. As the ant. plugs into the back of the 722 DVR & I'm getting a beautiful HD pic. now- My big question is: Do I have to buy a dig. converter to continue to get Smallville in HD off of my ant.? I couldn't get a straight answer from Dish. Thanks. :confused:

no. the 722 has an atsc tuner built in , which you are using.

I appreciate that. I knew the 722 has 2 tuners, but I wasn't sure how the ant. connection would work come Feb. I still don't know why Dish doesn't carry the New CW in HD in W. Palm Beach. It's the only local ch. that is not in HD.

I appreciate that. I knew the 722 has 2 tuners, but I wasn't sure how the ant. connection would work come Feb. I still don't know why Dish doesn't carry the New CW in HD in W. Palm Beach. It's the only local ch. that is not in HD.

At present, the sat companies are only required to carry the Big 4 broadcast nets due to lack of transponder space. They must carry all available locals in a few years. E* carries some CW HD locals in a few markets.

The CW signal you are receiving now is already digital. Digital does not necessarily mean HD. Most stations that are required to switch are already broadcasting ATSC along with their NTSC signal.

The OTA antenna connection on your 722 is for ATSC signals so you have been ready for the change ever since you got it.

At present, the sat companies are only required to carry the Big 4 broadcast nets due to lack of transponder space. They must carry all available locals in a few years. E* carries some CW HD locals in a few markets.

E* carries CW in HD in Houston (KIAH) but so far does not carry the PBS affiliate in HD, which is a shame as there's frequently excellent programming on there. Unfortunately we're too distant to pick up KUHT-DT from OTA (without seriously annoying our HOA) but that's supposed to change in Feb.

I'm fully aware of the FCC's stand on antennas and my legal rights; I just don't want to get a fight started

there are actually 3 tuners allowing you to do 3 simul recordings! the 3rd one of course is the built in ATSC one. i do find that sometimes it loses reception even though the signal is in the 80's and you get the annoying message about the disruption.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. :)

Hi, As you know, in Feb. the OTA antenna sigs. are going digital. I get the local chs. in HD, BUT Dish doesn't carry the New CW in HD so I get it in HD from my roof ant. As the ant. plugs into the back of the 722 DVR & I'm getting a beautiful HD pic. now- My big question is: Do I have to buy a dig. converter to continue to get Smallville in HD off of my ant.? I couldn't get a straight answer from Dish. Thanks. :confused:
THe 722 is the converter....also.

The CW signal you are receiving now is already digital. Digital does not necessarily mean HD. Most stations that are required to switch are already broadcasting ATSC along with their NTSC signal.

The OTA antenna connection on your 722 is for ATSC signals so you have been ready for the change ever since you got it.

So, does that mean that the 722 has 3 tuners instead of the 2 D lists in the product spec. sheet? I got 1 converter for the older bedroom set as I have the 722 default to set 2 for the 1st recording. My wife likes the 10 PM news, so we have rabbit ears for that ch. when the 722 is recording. Fortunately, we live close to all the local chs. in W. Palm Beach & rabbit ears are good enough for the 10 PM news in the b-room.:)

So, does that mean that the 722 has 3 tuners instead of the 2 D lists in the product spec. sheet? I got 1 converter for the older bedroom set as I have the 722 default to set 2 for the 1st recording. My wife likes the 10 PM news, so we have rabbit ears for that ch. when the 722 is recording. Fortunately, we live close to all the local chs. in W. Palm Beach & rabbit ears are good enough for the 10 PM news in the b-room.:)

Correct, the 722 has 3 tuners: 2 satellite and 1 OTA.

The 722 is not a converter, it has a HD tuner,a converter will NOT get HD

If you are going to be technical, the 722 does not have a OTA "HD tuner" either, it has an OTA digital tuner. Some digital signals just happen to be in a HD format, others in a SD format.