722 DVR recording question OTA

staywalt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
New Jersey
i have a 722 DVr dual tuner hooked to 2 tv's plus an ota antenna to the antenna input. My digital ota stations show up in my chaanel list and on all HD list. Is it possible to record an event off the ota station while watching different stations on satellite tv 1 & 2 ? I can select OTA off my Samsung Tv remote source button and watch the ota channels while recording off the satellite feed on TV 1 but watching the satellite channels on tv1 while recording ota is confusing me. If this is possible please point me in the right direction.

As far as I know once they are there the DVR treats them just like regular channels. In fact, I think you can record and watch one more program simultaneously if utilizing the OTA signal. In other words, I believe the answer to your question to be Yes. Please correct me if I'm wrong Guru's, I haven't had OTA hooked up for about a year since I started getting all my locals in HD through DN.

OTA tuner is separate for the two Dish tuners so yes, you can record off the OTA and one of the sat tuners and still watch live programing on the second sat tuner. Also, if your tv has it's own OTA tuner, you can record on both sat tuners and the OTA tuner (all on your 722) and watch a live OTA channel through your tv by splitting the OTA coax before hooking it up to your receiver.

Monday night, seven o'clock, I'm pulling in House OTA, Chuck and Good Eats via 129W, and since we never watch live TV, the wife is watching a stack of Robot Chicken. The 722 is a good unit; makes me wonder if the 922 can actually be an improvement. :)

Monday night, seven o'clock, I'm pulling in House OTA, Chuck and Good Eats via 129W, and since we never watch live TV, the wife is watching a stack of Robot Chicken. The 722 is a good unit; makes me wonder if the 922 can actually be an improvement. :)
A second OTA tuner would be nice. I think that's in the mix.

It that were the case and you had the right splitters - you could do all of the following simultaneously:

Record 2 satellite channels
Record 2 OTA channels on satellite
Watch 2 recorded shows

A second OTA tuner would be nice. I think that's in the mix.

It that were the case and you had the right splitters - you could do all of the following simultaneously:

Record 2 satellite channels
Record 2 OTA channels on satellite
Watch 2 recorded shows

The 722K and coming 922 Duo Sling, but they are not shipped with functioning OTA tuners. A module can be purchased for $29 to enable 2 OTA tuners with one cable input.

The 722K and coming 922 Duo Sling, but they are not shipped with functioning OTA tuners. A module can be purchased for $29 to enable 2 OTA tuners with one cable input.
I guess a lot of homes were built without antennas and maybe the average person doesn't have a good antenna to utilize the OTA tuners.

That was the case for me, but I just built my own antenna with stuff lying around the house at no extra cost and it works better than ones for $50 in the store (my wife just thinks it is hideous).

This is yet another example of Dish find a way to make more money. They could send them with functioning OTA tuners, because the hardware will be there - but they get more $ if you have to pay to enable them.

It sure is nice to be able to have the OTA signal and channels work on the 722. :)

The pictures of the 922 don't indicate a removable module like the 722K has. And I thought the OTA module was $49...we'll just have to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts