722 dvr won't recognize external hard drive.

tkeith

Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Mn
I'm getting the hopper on Sunday, and I wanted to transfer some of my recordings to the new dvr. I have a 200gb hard drive and I can't get it to be recognized by my dvr. When I plug it in nothing happens, if I turn it off and back on it will say "you have connected too many devices to the usb port", but when I look for it in the dvr menu it says I have no devices connected. The drive was used previously, so I had to format it beforehand, I tried both fat and ntfs. I could not find any info on the format. I also tried both usb ports and restarting the unit.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm getting the hopper on Sunday, and I wanted to transfer some of my recordings to the new dvr. I have a 200gb hard drive and I can't get it to be recognized by my dvr. When I plug it in nothing happens, if I turn it off and back on it will say "you have connected too many devices to the usb port", but when I look for it in the dvr menu it says I have no devices connected. The drive was used previously, so I had to format it beforehand, I tried both fat and ntfs. I could not find any info on the format. I also tried both usb ports and restarting the unit.

Thanks

When the drive is seen by the receiver the receiver will ask if you want to format the drive. It formats it to its own specifications (linux). But, as mentioned by Matt it has to be self powered, not relying on USB power.

It is a 3.5" drive so yes it has its own power supply. I do not get the popup to format the drive, just the one about too many drives. The reason I ask about the format is that I had to format it, it is not a "stock" drive, I don't know what format the dvr needs to "see" it.

If the drive is usable by the receiver, it will reformat it to Dish's specifications regardless of what format you put on the drive.

It sounds like your drive might not be compatible.

There are 2 USB ports, one on the front one on the back. You do not have a drive plugged in to both USB ports do you? The 722 can only handle 1 at a time.

I use an external on my 722, (Maxtor) however, the receivers encode the drive so you may not be able to transfer files from one receiver to the HD and watch or load them onto another receiver ! BTDT, lost my recording from one to the other.

If two receivers are on the same account you are able to movie the EHD back and forth between them. You can't bring it to your neighbor's house though....

I ran into a similar problem with a hard disk that my new Hopper would not recognize, ignored it completely. I had been using it as an external drive for a 211K. I knew it would have to be reformatted but I didn't expect the Hopper to ignore it. So I reformatted it as an NTFS drive on my computer (you will have to delete all partitions before Windows will reformat it), then the Hopper recognized it.

I tried a reformatting my drive and got a quick blip of a message on the screen. I had to record it with my phone and pause it in order to read. It said that the hard was incompatible. Well I borrowed another external hard drive enclosure, this one works fine.

Thanks for the help guys.

Okay I got my recordings transfered to the ehd just fine. Got the hopper installed today, but when I hook it up and try to access it, it says it cannot be used with more than one receiver and you will lose all archived recordings.

Am I doing something wrong?

Okay I got my recordings transfered to the ehd just fine. Got the hopper installed today, but when I hook it up and try to access it, it says it cannot be used with more than one receiver and you will lose all archived recordings.

I would ask DIRT/CSR to send a hit to your receiver.

Please PM me your account or phone numner and I will assist you. Thank you!

Here is a screen shot.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359950199905.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359950199905.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 298
Unfortunately Mary was not able to help. If anyone else has a possible solution, please let me know. I also tried the dish chat support and they said they would forward it to someone, but I would not be contacted if it was ever fixed. I guess I'm sol.

This is not making sense. Did you change your account number when upgrading to the Hopper?

No, not that I know of. I did have to go through the retention department to avoid paying out the nose. But I never discontinued service.

Yeah. Lucky86 and I are trying to understand how this can be, because many folks have already upgraded from the VIP line of DVRs to a Hopper and encountered no such EHD problem. At least not recently... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)