722 DVR x4 Fast Forward Issue

Mud Duck28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Theodore, AL
I'm going to try to explain the issue I'm having as best I can. When watching a recorded program on the 722 DVR, if you hit the forward button once, that puts you in fast forward at 4x mode. The picture in that motion I believe to be correct, in other words, moving at 4x speed. The problem is, the timer at the bottom is not coinciding with the picture. The timer is clicking off about 35 seconds per change and that is alot faster than 4x. The timer will continue to count off at this rate, then stop, and wait for the picture to catch back up to it. If in the process, you push play, it will resume play where the timer is at the bottom, not where the picture is at. I have software version 511, have swapped receivers once already from Dish, got the second one, and it is doing the same thing. Any one else having this trouble? Any help would be appreciated.

Speculation in other threads: this behavior is by design, no longer in violation of "tivo" patents.

talked to dish tech

I am glad I found this forum I was having the same issue.I called dish and talked to the tech dept, my wife had all ready called and they were sending us a new unit, so any way the tech said he learned about this today he was going to send in a report to the software guys . He said to leave the receiver off for the next few nights so it can get the new software upgrade to fix this one.

I'm going to try to explain the issue I'm having as best I can. When watching a recorded program on the 722 DVR, if you hit the forward button once, that puts you in fast forward at 4x mode. The picture in that motion I believe to be correct, in other words, moving at 4x speed. The problem is, the timer at the bottom is not coinciding with the picture. The timer is clicking off about 35 seconds per change and that is alot faster than 4x. The timer will continue to count off at this rate, then stop, and wait for the picture to catch back up to it. If in the process, you push play, it will resume play where the timer is at the bottom, not where the picture is at. I have software version 511, have swapped receivers once already from Dish, got the second one, and it is doing the same thing. Any one else having this trouble? Any help would be appreciated.

My 722 is all messed up! Same exact problem. It does it in ALL search speeds. Otherwise, it's working fine, but I can't search my programs at all. Any solutions?:(

I am glad I found this forum I was having the same issue.I called dish and talked to the tech dept, my wife had all ready called and they were sending us a new unit, so any way the tech said he learned about this today he was going to send in a report to the software guys . He said to leave the receiver off for the next few nights so it can get the new software upgrade to fix this one.

I just saw this post. Is there anything I can do to save my 722? I havea lot of HD stuff in the HD & really don't want to lose it all because of a screwball search mode issue. What say you?:confused:

Transfer it to an external HDD.

I thought of that, but the last time I asked about using a pers. HD there was much confusion as to if any data would transfer, not all HD's will work, and Dish couldn't give me any good answers except they wanted the $40 to turn that feature on.

I have a 300 GB pers. HD- (An HP), but I doubt I can fit 44 hrs. of HD programming into it with the rest. Does anyone know if it will even work? What about getting the data into a new 722 from the pers. HD? Thanks.:confused:

Last edited:
Yes, pay the $40 one time fee, attach a USB 2.0 external drive, and let the ViP reformat it. It won't be usable on any computer, it will only be usable with Dish. That's all you need. I dumped all my ViP622 stuff to 2 external drives, and when the ViP722 arrived, it immediately recognized them and I lost nothing.

I play from the externals and that works fine too. Sometimes I move a program back to the ViP before watching (get more date info for OTA recordings that way).

Yes, pay the $40 one time fee, attach a USB 2.0 external drive, and let the ViP reformat it. It won't be usable on any computer, it will only be usable with Dish. That's all you need. I dumped all my ViP622 stuff to 2 external drives, and when the ViP722 arrived, it immediately recognized them and I lost nothing.

I play from the externals and that works fine too. Sometimes I move a program back to the ViP before watching (get more date info for OTA recordings that way).

Will any brand ext. drive work? What amt. of GB's do you have in yours? If I buy another drive is 500 gigs enough for a while or should I shoot for more?

I probably would have done that before if I could have gotten good info instead of all the confusion.

This is the response I got Friday when doing an online chat:

Sculchy: When I fast forward recorded events or after resuming paused events and hit play the program is 2-5 minutes passed when I hit play.

Dish Rep: Yes sir we are aware of this issue and our engineering department is working on it diligently and hopefully will have it working properly soon

Sculchy: Is this an issue with the L5.11 software release?

Dish Rep: yes sir

So apparently they are aware of it, and it will be fixed "soon".

This is the response I got Friday when doing an online chat:

Sculchy: When I fast forward recorded events or after resuming paused events and hit play the program is 2-5 minutes passed when I hit play.

Dish Rep: Yes sir we are aware of this issue and our engineering department is working on it diligently and hopefully will have it working properly soon

Sculchy: Is this an issue with the L5.11 software release?

Dish Rep: yes sir

So apparently they are aware of it, and it will be fixed "soon".

I hope so. Someone really screwed up on this one.:(

Will any brand ext. drive work? What amt. of GB's do you have in yours? If I buy another drive is 500 gigs enough for a while or should I shoot for more?

I probably would have done that before if I could have gotten good info instead of all the confusion.

There is a separate thread here talking about which external HDDs work best or not. I use 2 500s. It works with drives up to 750, and will later work with larger drives. Some folks are able to use larger drives now, but that's a different discussion.

I suspect 500 will be more than sufficient for quite a while. Although I have two 500s, I believe everything would fit on one, with plenty room to spare.

There is a separate thread here talking about which external HDDs work best or not. I use 2 500s. It works with drives up to 750, and will later work with larger drives. Some folks are able to use larger drives now, but that's a different discussion.

I suspect 500 will be more than sufficient for quite a while. Although I have two 500s, I believe everything would fit on one, with plenty room to spare.

Thanks, Where exactly is the HD thread? What make & model HD's are you using?